• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

Revisions to Don Vito's Opus are Comlpete...

Now to Michael's Opus, and droping in the Don Alobello scene and a few more tweaks...

Details will follow when completed

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And then we'll get Wraith's edit of the non-chronological P1 and P2, right!? A boy can dream!!

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And then we'll get Wraith's edit of the non-chronological P1 and P2, right!? A boy can dream!!
It's in the plan...but not next in the pecking order....
I need to apply some polish to SUG and UGS...all minor audio issues...but they need addressing.

I also have a NEW in the planning stage project I have dreamt of for 40 years which only now is possible....I'll open a thread on that after all the panning is done and editting starts...that could also be a while.

Back to GF MO...I may actually get this done soonish....

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
  • Wedding dance music fade out is 3 secs longer, with more music
  • Vegas transition is now 4K sourced and uses a new shot from the Martin and Lewis original source (in HD) and only one new shot (the Sinatra marquee) to make up the 4 sec run time of the music over black. Vehicle anachronisms are now GONE.
  • Young Vito's walk down the street now in full HD with no deinterlacing artifacts and full Italian dialogue in sync (not the alternative take with badly looped English)
  • Tom Higging and kissing his wife with no deinterlacing artifacts for the longer shot
  • No slow down in car park scene to accomodate additional dialogue previously added post camera smash up
  • Typo corrected in subtitles "I do" and Andolini"
  • Bench transition shot is now clean
  • Stock shot of Hollywood and plane landing from 4 K source
  • Additional missing tyre sound added to plane landing (since the rear wheels screech when they hit the tarmac, so the front one should as well).

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

Work on Michel's Opus revisions are about 50% done...including the addition of the Don Altobello sequence during the helicopter assault.

ON major addition comes from a suggestion by @tylrsmmrs noting that several shots of Connies and middle aged Michael on the pier being served by Connie exist in the opening montages of two of the AMC recaps. Makes you wonder how much more material has evaporated.... But it must exist somewhere...these shots do not appear anywhere else....I think we may have been lied to about what does and does not exist.

SIGH!

These will bed added to the montage flashback at the end of what is GF PArt 2, namely just before the intermission preceding the material from Part III.

I had toyed with the idea but could not really thing of where to use the material, and of course when a good suggestion is made you test it...and it worked. It was clunky at first but after MANY tests, revisions, and a few sleights of hand, I believe a very important and missing bridge to PArt III has been created that shows the passage of time and sets up the post intermission opening, perfectly IMHO.

This will NOT be added to the Purist version of MIchael's Opus.
Another 70 seconds added...
Total Run Time now 10hrs 5 Mins

So thanks to @tylrsmmrs ! A clip will follow soon.

W

Last edited:

Smackstar390

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you so much. I have been looking for this edit as an HD. You are sincerely my hero, wanted this for my Dad. Just read this whole thread.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

NEW MATERIAL FOLKS

Here is the new close to the pre-intermission ending of what is Part II (mid point of MIchael's Opus) , acting as a set up for Part III post intermission. This now sets up quite a few things that were alluded to in the Part III opening montage etc...

This will only be added to the Magnum Opus Verion and NOT the purist.
Thanks again to stion @tylrsmmrs for previewing multiple tests and helping to fine tune this...

Can you spot all the new shots NOT in the Theatrical or Extended versions?

ENJOY

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

Michael’s Opus revisions are completed.

These are as follows:
  • A dozen or so minor micro audio transition teaks that should be unnoticeable to most.
  • A new bridging montage between part 2 and 3 ( prior to the INTERMISSION) now created an effective setting up for Part 3
  • A shot of George Hamilton in the newly created opening scene could be seen that he was speaking (albeit a long shot)…when in fact he is not. This has been corrected without removing any of the new audio.
  • The Don Altobello chopper shot is reinstated as it was for La Fine 1.08.
  • The audio clipping issue has been resolved throughout
  • Credits THANKS updated to include @spence and @tylrsmmrs
The montage actually starts with original material where Mike recalls the train leaving the station, so I felt dropping in the shots of his past loves (Vito, Son, Kay and Apolonia) intercut with aging Connie Looking after him with the mansion being secluded and him isolated sets up film 3. I had originally included shots of the delapidated mansion, but they are repeated later. Plus it would not make sense to show them if he is still living there…so by showing the long and close up shots of NO TRESPASSING (new shots) we establish seclusion, we establish Connie is more important than she was and we show the passage of time as he reflects on his past loves… now when in part 3 we are told he is legit, and “family is all” to him…it is not jarring and we get a smoother bridge in both character and narrative ….the montage also has those two great shots of Michael in uniform and Vitos approval from yet another missing sequence …

Now , rendering and double checking.

I may leave the Purists as they are…

Ciao Bella

Last edited:

Cnemi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

Michael’s Opus revisions are completed.

These are as follows:
  • A dozen or so minor micro audio transition teaks that should be unoticeabke to most.
  • A new bridging montage between part 2 and 3 ( prior to the INTERMISSION) now created an effective setting up for Part 3
  • A shot of George Harrison in the newly created opening scene could be seen that he was speaking (albeit a long shot)…when in fact he is not. This has been corrected without removing any of the new audio.
  • The Don Altobello chopper shit is reinstated as it was for La Fine 1.08.
  • The audio clipping issue has been resolved throughout
The montage actually starts with original material where Mike recalls the train leaving the station, so I felt dropping in the shots of his past loves (Vito, Son, Kay and Apolonia) intercut with aging Connie Looking after him with the mansion being secluded and him isolated sets up film 3. I had originally included shots of the delapidated mansion, but they are repeated later. Plus it would not make sense to show them if he is still living there…so by showing the long and close up shot of NO TRESPASSING (new shots) we establish seclusion, we establish Connie is more important than she was and we show the passage of time as he reflects on his past loves… now when in part 3 we are told he is legit, and family is all to him…it is not jarring and we get a smoother bridge in both character and narrative ….the montage also has those two great shots in uniform and Vitos approval from yet another missing sequence …

Now , rendering and double checking.

I may leave the Purists as they are…

Ciao Bella

I'm loving the typos in this post. ;)

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
George Harrison….wish that was deliberate…

All corrected..

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

I have finally eliminated the Sinatra shot from the Vegas montage in Don Vito’s Opus using an additional shot of the Desert Inn from the Martin and Lewis “Hollywood or Bust” movie that all those shots were taken from (which was shot in VistaVision)….

As much as I liked the irony of using those shots, viewers were divided on their use about 50:50, so with this final tweak, all revisions to the Magnum Opus are now FINALLY completed.

I am not proposing any changes to the Purist versions at all.

The new designations will be
The Godfather: Don Vito’s Opus v 6.06 and
The Godfather: Michael’s Opus v 8.03.

Unless some detective in salt vault archive searches or if Coppola and crew discover or come clean on more missing material, I do not anticipate any further revisions.

Rendering has commenced and both will be available as high bit rate MP4 and UBER sizes disc ready files as previously.

After this, I will be working on SUG polishing as noted and I may reconstruct the extended non chronological versions of The Godfather using these edits as the base…but that is likely a year away if I do visit them.

I will post here when they are loaded so please do not DM me yet…they will slide down the list (I get a fair bit of traffic) and I would not want to have anyone miss out…I’ll post here when they are ready…

W

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

Rendering is in full swing, and after a power outage at the 90% mark on one of the films, I decided to rewatch the edits in full...

With Vito's Opus rendered already, I found a minor visual glitch from an overlay I forgot to remove from the timeline. Rewatching was a good idea...since I also noted a section of dialogue in Italian that was not subtitled in the edit (nor on the AMC version) and one of the objectives was to fully subtitle both edits. Soo good job I did re-watch.

The un-subtitled section is in the store with Young Vito and Genco after they discuss Fanucci, Genco asks Vito "how can you kill a man like Fanucci" and there is a short exchange and a lady then walks into the store with her son. MOst of this is NOT subtitled even in the source material. It will be now, since I have to re-render Vito's Opus anyway.

So the full final revisions are as follows

Don Vito's Opus 6.05
  • Additional Subtitles added to untransalted porition of store scene with Vito and Genco
  • Completely re-done Young Vito walkaway shot, using de-interlaced source (previously not available) further corrected in Topaz. As Young Vito's walk down the street now in full HD with no deinterlacing artifacts at the tail end of the shot and full Italian dialogue in sync (not the alternative take with badly looped English).
  • Wedding dance music fade out is 3 secs longer, with more music
  • Vegas transition is now 4K sourced and uses a new shot from the Martin and Lewis original source (in HD) and only one new shot from the source material "Hollywoood or Bust" from an HD source to make up the 4 sec run time of the music over black.
    • Vehicle anachronisms are now GONE.
    • The Sinatra Marquee shot is now GONE as well
  • Tom Hugging and kissing his wife with no deinterlacing artifacts for the longer shot...from a new de-interlaced source
  • No slow down in car park scene to accomodate additional dialogue previously added post camera smash up
  • Typo corrected in subtitles "I do" and Andolini"
  • Bench transition shot is now clean
  • Stock shot of Hollywood and plane landing from 4 K source
  • Additional missing tyre sound added to plane landing (since the rear wheels screech when they hit the tarmac, so the front one should as well).
  • Micro tweaks to sound levels in numerous places smoothing transitions
MIchael's Opus v8.03
  • A dozen or so minor micro audio transition teaks that should be unnoticeable to most.
  • A new bridging montage between part 2 and 3 ( prior to the INTERMISSION) now created an effective setting up for Part 3, suggested from an observation by @tylrsmmrs about the shots of Connie and Michael eacting on the pier.
  • A shot of George Hamilton in the newly created opening scene could be seen that he was speaking (albeit a long shot)…when in fact he was not speak.ing on the audio. This has been corrected without removing any of the new audio recovered from a low res extra that had clean audio.
  • The Don Altobello chopper shot is reinstated as it was for La Fine 1.08. Sourced from and extra in bonus discs of the 4K edition.
  • The audio clipping issue has been resolved throughout the second half of Michael's Opus. This occured due to an incorrect audio setting in the previous version down mix during the rendering and would only be noticeable on some 6 Ch systems. Only about 4 or 5 people seem to have had this issue.

I'm hoping to have these all loaded up by the end of the weekend.

A comparisons clip will be posted here in a few days time.

W

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the scene with the missing subtitles added back.

8 of the subtitles are new ....they were not in the AMC source for some reason....and not in the previous versions of this edit.

This differes slightly from the script, but is subtitled as spoken.

GENCO
(Sicilian)
I wish they had. He takes fifty
dollars a week from my father's
cash drawer. But you can't kill a
man like Fanucci.

VITO
(Sicilian)
Why?

GENCO
(Sicilian)
Because he's what we say...