• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote NOW for January FEOTM!

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

tony.montana79

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone :)
I watched four movies over the weekend: The Godfather: Don Vito Opus, Michael Opus, The Godfather Part 1 and 2 Wraith's Extended Edition. I'm happy about this.
1. Godfather: Don Vito Opus - Robert de Niro and Marlon Brando in one film. This version of the film is very close to Mario Puzo's novel. And that's great.
2. Godfather: Michael Opus is a new look at a story you already know.
Michael's story from the second part combined with the third part is a completely new 325-minute experience. The third part benefits greatly from this. The story is more coherent and complete.
3. The Godfather Parts 1 and 2 Extended benefit greatly from extended scenes. The Godfather Part 2 is very close to the movie script of Part 2.
I'm glad the movie returned the scenes with Michael and Connie at lunch and other deleted scenes.
From now on, these are my favorite film versions of the Corleones saga.

Thank you very much Wraith for your great work.

elessar256

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, :)
Last night I watched The Godfather Don Vito Opus and Michael Opus for 10 whole hours. This edition is great. I've watched the Godfather trilogy 30 times. The Godfather Trilogy and Once Upon a Time in America are my favorite movies. This montage is the best version of the trilogy. The Wrait version includes all deleted and available scenes. Don Vito Opus details the rise of the Corleone family from Sicilian times until 1955. Michael Opus focuses on the fall of the Corleone family under Michael's rule. Both films show in detail the differences between father and son. It is also great that the story begins and ends in Sicily (1901 - 1997). Michael Opus includes a new montage showing Michael in 1968 living alone with his sister Connie as in the original script. Additionally, the final montage in memoriam also makes a great impression.

Wraith thank you very much for your great work.

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have to check out one of these godfather edits one of these days. Not sure which one yet though...

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have to check out one of these godfather edits one of these days. Not sure which one yet though...
The same material is orginaised in both ways...Structured per the Theatrical versions Or chronologically...Notheg is missing,though some scenes differ (such as Mike Jnr bedtime) due to how Part 2 was restructured...

Watch one this year, and another next year (that will be 32 times!)

Last edited:

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The same material is orginaised in both ways...Structured per the Theatrical versions Or chronologically...Notheg is missing,though some scenes differ (such as Mike Jnr bedtime) due to how Part 2 was restructured...

Watch one this year, and another next year (that will be 32 times!)
They're both 10 hour edits correct?? I was looking them up and I got a little confused because it looks like you have a runtime of 280 minutes on the listing but it says over 600 minutes in the brief synopsis. I'm assuming they're both 10 hours containing the whole trilogy. Is that correct?

Which do you prefer? Theatrical or Chronological??

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you
Salute Aye Aye Captain GIF

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL ...was i heavy handed? apols

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL ...was i heavy handed? apols
No your good. I'll have to grab this off you one of these days. 10 hours is a big commitment but maybe on a rainy day over a weekend sometime. I love these movies but I'm not a super fan that remembers every scene and all. I see it's a legendary edit here though so....it's on the to do list...

4p0110n14

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You won't regret either, @PanteraSteel. I have a soft spot for the theatrical order because they cut (and it seems forever lost) so many hours of Part II that to me, the chronological order had always been a bit weak in direct comparison. Vito's background story was supposed to be much longer, showing his rise to Don. Also Michael later taking over Roth's estate and going into politics; Thus explaining his vast wealth later in Part III. Because of this, I find that the flashbacks make the movie stronger. Had Coppola not cut over 2 hours from it, I'm not sure I would be saying it. When all was filmed, George Lucas apparently told him he had two separate movies and to delete one of them... What an absolutely insane sentiment . Either way, Paramount wanted Coppola to do a Godfather prequel and a sequel from Part II. But he felt it would be more impactful to tell two stories in tandem.

What is more important than the order, is that Wraith's edits are the most complete versions you can find anywhere. The deleted and extended scenes that are available, will be found there.

Last edited:

4p0110n14

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have written about the credit music Don @Wraith chose for his edit in the recent past. Like the extended cuts that were modelled after The Godfather Saga (The Complete Novel For Television, The Complete Epic, The Godfather Epic, The Godfather Trilogy, etc.) it is Part II's cue, named End Title. Today, I want to share my findings on the first film's credits.

The last music in the movie we hear starts to play as Kay confronts Michael about Connie's accusation. It finishes with Al Neri closing the door on Kay. This cue is called Finale and is a short modulation of the Godfather Waltz or Main Title, stripped down. It was finally put on the 2022 50th anniversary soundtrack for us to enjoy. After this, the screen fades to black and the credit roll starts. Now there is music after the movie. It's a montage of the most important themes of the film. These are individual recordings, not edited together from old cues heard in the movie or later on the soundtrack. But more about that further down.

Franco Sciannameo was granted insight into the composer's notes by Nino Rota's estate and wrote a book about this. It's name is Nino Rota's The Godfather Trilogy - A Film Score Guide and he made it digitally available for free, recently. In it, he reveals how the cue that plays in the credit roll was called The Godfather Finale. As if it wasn't confusing enough already that we have Finale and The Godfather Finale, it gets worse! There is another piece named exactly that, The Godfather Finale. That is track no. 12 on the 1972 official soundtrack. Since CD 2 of the 2022 re-issue is the old album remastered, it is track no 12 on there as well. This remastered audio would soon become crucial in my findings. I'll quote Franco:

"THE GODFATHER FINALE (19M3) [02:52:26-02:54:56]
Scored for 2 flutes, 1 obe, 1 English horn, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 3 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, 1 tuba, 1 harp, 1 piano, 1 guitar, 1 accordion, 2 mandolins, Strings (10-8-6-6-4). Recorded on 1/17/72. CD 1–Track 12 The Godfather Finale [Extended Version with Dubbed Chorus]".

What he is telling us here, is that the soundtrack version of The Godfather Finale is just the music recorded for the credit roll with a mixed male and female vocal choir added to it. But what is this extended version, then?

What I have found out, is that there are multiple recordings. I would have not dared to make this judgement from my old vinyl of the soundtrack, with how tempo and pitch are susceptible to the moods of the equipment and said that the other versions were probably just shortened from a master cue. With the remastered CD, however... This 2022 soundtrack re-issue has two interesting things on CD 1. Track no. 29 End Credits and track no. 36 End Credits (Alternate). As ever so often, at least without any context provided, this isn't correct, either. One of La La Land Record's many mistakes, neither are the actual credit music. First thing's first, these two are separate recordings, not different edits of the same one. Which I can say 100% safely as the tempo starts to faintly diverge at around the 12 second mark and some ornamentations are ever so slightly different. I put this in my digital audio work station to measure. The Godfather Finale from the soundtrack was not just End Credits (Alternate) + a choir added later. The credit roll music also wasn't just cut down. The cues have been edited together from different parts of both tracks End Credits and End Credits (Alternate).

Why is any of this important? Well, it really isn't. It started with writing out the mandolin parts years ago, just for myself. But I soon wanted to transpose the entire thing. For love of my mental health, especially with the confusion the soundtrack re-issue provided me, I needed to confirm whether there really were any additional versions of the credits. Because in my little companion notebook I used when transcribing/transposing the score and making time stamps, I some time last year wrote down having found an aditional credit roll that comes after the usual one. I wasn't able to identify this version though before Wraith lent me his resources. I got confused because it appears during the "The Godfather was scanned, digitally restored and film recorded in 4K resolution" title card, thanking the people who worked on the restoration. I thus had frantically been going through the newest DVD, Blu-Ray and streaming versions - To no avail.

Now I know that this is because it's exclusively part of The Coppola Restoration, which is actually the HD version. This reminded me of a convo I had with Wraith some months ago about how they have been sitting on the 4K edition for very many years. Before then making some unfortunate edits and releasing what many of us agreed to be a visual and atmospheric downgrade. Either way: You'll know you got the right version when the golden Paramount screen has the "A Viacom Company" sub logo. The oldest and newest versions of the movie have a blue screen and "A Gulf + Western Company" sub.

In a long line of batshit insane editing decisions this trilogy had to endure, the now longer running credits were given additional music. Rather than now putting in one of the longer, uncut versions of the, you know, music made for the credits... They instead retained the old, shortened cut and now added the track Sicilian Pastorale from the movie and 1972/2022 soundtracks for the additional roll. Which though would have been too long in it's entirety at 3:01. And so they shortened that too, to 1:29. Sigh!

In terms of tempo, The Godfather Finale, End Credits and the credit roll all run at the same speed. End Credits (Alternate) is the slowest paced. While the credit roll has always been the shortest of music tracks, the HD version then funnily made it the longest. Anyway, here is an edited overview of what I wrote down in my notebook. I removed the timestamps and note/volume differences for the sake of everybody's sanity, just to give you guys a quick overview of how things were edited.

The Godfather Finale - 1972/2022 soundtrack
Michael's Theme / The New Godfather + vocal choir
Apollonia with long guitar outro
Love Theme + vocal choir
Main Title as viola solo
Main Title with orchestra + vocal choir
The Godfather Waltz
- 3:53 length

End Credits (Alternate) - 2022 soundtrack
Michael's Theme / The New Godfather
Apollonia with short guitar outro
Love Theme
Main Title as viola solo
Main Title with orchestra
The Godfather Waltz
- 3:53 length

End Credits - 2022 soundtrack
Apollonia with short guitar outro
Main Title as viola solo
The Godfather Waltz
- 3:19 length

Credit roll - 1972 theater release/ VHS / 2001 SD DVD The Godfather Collection / 2022 4K DVD & Blu-Ray 50th Anniversary (blue logo, Gold + Western)
The Godfather Waltz
- 2:30 length

Credit roll - 2008 The Coppola Restoration DVD & Blu-Ray HD (gold screen, Viacom)
The Godfather Waltz
Sicilian Pastorale shortened after the cornet intro
- 4:01 length

Top Bottom