• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

UPDATE
UBER size versions for Both films in both my preferred Magnum Opus versions and Purist versions are fully loaded.

These do not yet contain the final revisions.

I will post here when these are finally completed and loaded.

Hey @Wraith, might I suggest editing the first post in this thread to provide a summary of what versions are available and a short summary of each? I’ve been following this since the beginning but even I’m a bit confused as to what specifically is what. Thanks for all you do!

Hey @Wraith, might I suggest editing the first post in this thread to provide a summary of what versions are available and a short summary of each? I’ve been following this since the beginning but even I’m a bit confused as to what specifically is what. Thanks for all you do!
Good idea to re-summarise...so, without listing all the changes on the IFDB listing, here are the additional changes to that PLUS the diffrences in the so called PURISTS. No additional changes from the revisions in hand are included. I will list those once they are completed.

UPDATE
Below are the full consolidated and final revisions prior to analysing the new 4K release.
The Magnum Opus is now back up in UBER SIZE and Hi Bit Rate MP4.
UBER SIZE will be withdrawn permanently on March 13th to make room for the PURIST UBER files for 1 week.

MAGNUM OPUS
Don Vito's Opus - Updated v6.01
RT 04:39:25
  • The Long shot of young Vito walking away from camera after being offered food has been regraded
  • The oar clubbing scene on the lake has been restored in HD to its full length with an additional quiet music cue (to facilitate audio smoothing) foreshadowing Fredo's fate with additional subtitles added that were missing
  • 1:22:07 - "Corleone Compound, Long Island, New York, 1945" is reduced to "Long Island, New York, 1945". The caption has been retimed to the end of the establishing shot.
  • The missing dialogue after Sonny smashes the reporter's camera was found on a 1980 VHS recording from a an NBC telecast of the novel for TV. The audio has been cleaned up and placed where it was intended.
  • The Centanni dialogue has been restored to the wedding
  • An additional shot of Michael turning away from Kay to look at the wedding party has been added (not available in any other version and in HD)
  • 2:22:30ish an audio issue was corrected. This was a Sonny and Michael dialogue glitch where an errant audio file appeared and was not noticed.
  • 2:23:25 - The shot of the Corleone Compound at night was missing. HD footage of this does exists and has been added.
  • 2:26:35-2:26:39 - The the full shot of Clemenza and Rocco walking down the driveway, which was in place, led to the audio of the boys playing being noticeably repeated (a lazy error on my part). If you listen to the end of the scene where Rocco is told to kill Paulie, you can hear that the audio plays at the end of that scene, and then again as they walk down the drive. This issue has been resolved while retaining the full length HD shot by re-building the audio judiciously.
  • 3:08:35 - There was a flashframe in the hard cut from Vito to the men descending the staircase. This has been resolved.
  • Subtitles re-done when Michael sees the protestors. Some were mispositioned and timing has been significantly improved.
  • End Credits have been further polished
  • THANKS caption has been updated.
  • Run time difference, plus 8 secs
Michael's Opus - Updated v8.01
RT 05:22:38
  • 03:26 - Corrected date, should be 1958 not 1957
  • 1:43:13-1:43:18 - As the hearings opened, I had repurposed some shots to maximise the includion of audio which is not in many versions. This use of shots was NOT an ideal result so per SonnyGFunk's suggestion, the scene starts on the black screen with audio playing from the beginning of the hearing. We do not hear Michael's hushed response of "New York City" due to the audio containing music from the crossfade from the flashback in the source material (The Novel for TV), however, the response of "Would you mind speaking up please" and then Michael's answer of "New York City" is retained. It then fades in to the closeup of Michael as he is asked "are you the son of Vito Corleone". Important to note that Michael's face is now on screen as he is asked the question instead of an out of place repurposed shot that was used previously.
  • 2:20:41 - The shot of Kay's taxi waiting was missing. HD footage of this does exist and has been added.
  • Aspect ratio corerction for Part 3 which now conforms to the full image and marginally wider than the first hhalf of the edit. Since this is post intermission, it will not be distracting.
  • End Credits have been further polished
  • THANKS caption has been added using the Opus 1 updated version.
  • Run time difference, plus 12 secs
PURISTS EDITS
All of the above changes are included unless noted*​
The below changes are unique to the PURIST versions.​
OPUS 1- Don Vito's Opus Purist v6.01p
RT 04:39:11
The Sicily opening caption has been has been reinstated per the theatrical version.​
The CAPTIONS below which were added to the Magnum Opus have been REMOVED as follows:​
  • 02:56 - Corleone, Sicily, 1901.
  • 03:31 - The Funeral of Antonio Andolini.
  • 1:22:07 - Corleone Compound, Long Island, New York, 1945.
OTHER CHANGES​
Restored original Vegas Transtion (which is not my preference), removing replacement material.​
OMMITED​
*The restored oar clubbing scene to its theatrical version since the additional music cue is not canon.​
  • Run time difference, less 14 secs in total comapred to Magnum Opus
OPUS 2: Michael's Opus Purist v8.01p
RT 05:22:54
Restored original music to opening shot of Michael on pier in full.​
Restored original shot of Communion with new transition with full audio.​
Restored the original sequencing of events when Michael speaks to Pentangeli and the action cuts to the car bomb and then Michael's bedtime scene in its already corrected location with recovered orginal dialogue with associted audio rebuild.​
CAPTIONS REMOVED that were adde to the Magnum Opus.​
  • Removed "His Grandson" caption from opening shot of Communion but retain "Lake Tahoe, Nevada " caption from an alternate source in HD.
  • Removed 03:26 (PT2) "Lake Tahoe, Nevada" over MIchael on the pier (Added for Magnum Opus).
  • Removed 03:57 (PT2) "The day of Anthony Vito Corleone's first holy communion" (Added for Magnum Opus).
OTHER CHANGES​
  • Removed "in memoriam" montage that was created for Novel for TV and rebuild for the Magnum Opus but retained Kay lighting the candles.
  • End credits reformatted to accomodate the removal of the "in memoriam" sequence with the scoring slightly extended to fit. The Full closing music cue from Part II is retained, but has an inserted additional section to accomodate the longer running time of the credits.
  • Run time difference, plus 16 secs.
The above are now available in hi-bit rate MP4 AND M2TS UBER sized files.

Thank-you all for your patience and support.
W

Last edited:
Good idea to re-summarise...so, without listing all the changes on the IFDB listing, here are the additional changes to that PLUS the diffrences in the so called PURISTS. No additional changes from the revisions in hand are included. I will list those once they are completed.

UPDATE
Below are the full consolidated and final revisions prior to analysing the new 4K release.
The Magnum Opus is now back up in UBER SIZE and Hi Bit Rate MP4.
UBER SIZE will be withdrawn permanently on March 13th to make room for the PURIST UBER files for 1 week.
Am I wrong here or is there a more recent version, namely 6.01 and 8.01 (Vito and Michael's Opus respectively)?

I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I just wanted to make sure people got the right info. It's on page 15 I think, but I don't feel like it's my right to post it.

I'm still grateful for the humongous effort you're going through to provide us with a complete version of the Godfather. I eagerly await your final revision, very hyped to watch it ^^.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I just wanted to make sure people got the right info. It's on page 15 I think, but I don't feel like it's my right to post it.

I'm still grateful for the humongous effort you're going through to provide us with a complete version of the Godfather. I eagerly await your final revision, very hyped to watch it ^^.
Didn't take it that way at all...I can assure...always grateful for the eagle eyed observation that keeps things in order...

HUGE THANKS...Genuinely...

Hey Wraith, how goes the progress on the editing? Been a while since anyone posted here so I thought I'll pop in to express my boiling hype for the upcoming version. Not intending to pressure, just curious ✌️

Hey Wraith, how goes the progress on the editing? Been a while since anyone posted here so I thought I'll pop in to express my boiling hype for the upcoming version. Not intending to pressure, just curious ✌️

Hiya...always flattered in everyone's interest so my apologies to all for this protracted delay.

I got about a third of the way through the final set of tweaks and revisions and then real life stepped in...and more bits and pieces appeared.

The nature of these final revisions is that they will be near invisible to most. Most of these tweaks are highly technical requiring extended periods of concentration to complete. As such, I had to drop further work on this due to the complexity and lack of sustained windows of time. Typically I like to do 2 to 3 hours of work in one go and I just do not have those windows of time these days. The nature of this means that 30 min bursts of activity just won't cut it. I'll loose my place, get confused and ultimately walk away frustrated; I do not want to do that.

As an example, a new HD source of the shot of young Vito walking away after rejecting the offer of food, has been located. Another member has put this through Topaz to color correct this, so some work has been going on. A number of slowed down shots have also been put though Topaz to remove jerkiness...so some work is progressing.

Similarly, a few extra pieces of previous missing audio have also been located, and these to will be added back in. Add to that that there are two versions of each edit to apply these (and other tweaks to) adds to the task.

There are a few minor subtitle typos to correct as well, plus a few other transitions that need to be re-done, again because a better source has been located for them. I will also be replacing the stock shots that were used for both films with the new 4K sourced shots which were derived from the original stock shot negatives...e.g. the Vegas establishing shots were lifted from a Martin and Lewis movie. These were now rescanned from those original movies and will look far better. These have already been isolated and color corrected to match the grade of the Magnum Opus and NOT the 4K grade, which, IMHO, is a retograde step and ruins the original Gordon Willis patina. HEARTBREAKING revisionism.

One may wonder if my time is tight, how come I'm churning out new edits? Well...simple answer; these are not new edits...I have had them in my archive for quite some time so I felt a need to share some of these. Some have had some additional tweaks, but adding captions to The Alamo or A Star is Born is a quick task. It keeps me in the game and enthused, and these are tasks I can start and complete in 30 min bursts now and then.

I will be returning to this, and as you can see, little bits and pieces have been progressing in the background as I assemble all the assets to have a big splurge session to complete this.

I can't give an ETA, but it will happen....but it could still be a long while.

So thanks as always for the interest and stay tuned.
W

Hiya...always flattered in everyone's interest so my apologies to all for this protracted delay.

I got about a third of the way through the final set of tweaks and revisions and then real life stepped in...and more bits and pieces appeared.

The nature of these final revisions is that they will be near invisible to most. Most of these tweaks are highly technical requiring extended periods of concentration to complete. As such, I had to drop further work on this due to the complexity and lack of sustained windows of time. Typically I like to do 2 to 3 hours of work in one go and I just do not have those windows of time these days. The nature of this means that 30 min bursts of activity just won't cut it. I'll loose my place, get confused and ultimately walk away frustrated; I do not want to do that.

As an example, a new HD source of the shot of young Vito walking away after rejecting the offer of food, has been located. Another member has put this through Topaz to color correct this, so some work has been going on. A number of slowed down shots have also been put though Topaz to remove jerkiness...so some work is progressing.

Similarly, a few extra pieces of previous missing audio have also been located, and these to will be added back in. Add to that that there are two versions of each edit to apply these (and other tweaks to) adds to the task.

There are a few minor subtitle typos to correct as well, plus a few other transitions that need to be re-done, again because a better source has been located for them. I will also be replacing the stock shots that were used for both films with the new 4K sourced shots which were derived from the original stock shot negatives...e.g. the Vegas establishing shots were lifted from a Martin and Lewis movie. These were now rescanned from those original movies and will look far better. These have already been isolated and color corrected to match the grade of the Magnum Opus and NOT the 4K grade, which, IMHO, is a retograde step and ruins the original Gordon Willis patina. HEARTBREAKING revisionism.

One may wonder if my time is tight, how come I'm churning out new edits? Well...simple answer; these are not new edits...I have had them in my archive for quite some time so I felt a need to share some of these. Some have had some additional tweaks, but adding captions to The Alamo or A Star is Born is a quick task. It keeps me in the game and enthused, and these are tasks I can start and complete in 30 min bursts now and then.

I will be returning to this, and as you can see, little bits and pieces have been progressing in the background as I assemble all the assets to have a big splurge session to complete this.

I can't give an ETA, but it will happen....but it could still be a long while.

So thanks as always for the interest and stay tuned.
W
Please remember the discovered Don Altobello footage at the big meeting with the helicopter shootout!

So as you can all ascertain, despite the deep dive work being on hold...assets are being prepared or are ready in the ASSET FOLDER ready for final assembly...

So as you can all ascertain, despite the deep dive work being on hold...assets are being prepared or are ready in the ASSET FOLDER ready for final assembly...
Sounds great! I feel almost spoiled that i'm finding this edit just as it is nearing what might be completion. Can't wait to watch this edit for the first time. Cheers Wraith!

Hello. Great idea! I'm sure that cost you a many of work. Greetings.

UPDATE:

The first out the gate will be La Fine v 1.08...this restores 9secs of material which was discovered by @tylrsmmrs, and TOPAZED by @spence ...

Thank you for your help both of you...

and what is this precious 9 secs?

CLIP Below

Why is this SOOOOO important...? It throws any suspicion around Don Altobello off the scent…since why would he try to go back into the room if he was involved? Its removal...diminishes the scene and plot IMHO.....

Last edited:
UPDATE:

The first out the gate will be La Fine v 1.08...this restores 9secs of material which were sourced by @SonnyGFunk and TOPAZED by @spence ...

Thank you for your help both of you...

and what is this precious 9 secs?

CLIP Below

Why is this SOOOOO important...? It throws any suspicion around Don Altobello off the scenet...since why would he try to go back into the room if he was involved? Its removal...diminishes the scene and plot IMHO.....
Don't I deserve some credit for this discovery?!?!

Confusion on my part...edits made to the post…

My Bad

Last edited:
UPDATE:
THE GODFATHER -La Fine v 1.08 is now available - MESSAGE me acordingly...

The only revision is to the scene shown above.

Magnum Opus revisions will follow at some point.

Back
Top Bottom