• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

I recognize this question is more than a year old, and I'm slowly going through this thread, there's a lot to unpack, but wow am I learning a lot, so thank you. Me personally, I'm in the "keep it all" dept. I wouldn't mind if less than a minute out of 10 hours were SD rather than HD if we got to keep the shots. That's just me, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and I'm admittedly quite a noob.
This lost less than a minute in SD and in fact I managed to retain about 30 secs repurposing shots AND included a whole new HD intro to PART 3 using audio from the SD extra but repurposing shots again...

MAYBE when I have done the 4K pass and updated the EXTENDED versions, I may do one with ALL the remaining SD material from SAGA and EPIC....but that would be much later in the year...I have other projects I want to get to first.

PURIST UBER versions will be up for one more week, since I have had many non-edit releated distractions of late.

Fuller update soon.
RL issues continue to plague me so the regular updated Uber versions are delayed.

Uber Purists remain for now.

As soon as I am able, a full update will be posted.

Last edited:
OPEN CALL FOR ANOTHER SOURCE:

@SonnyGFunk discovered this video on youtube.
and this
which leads us both to believe a full copy does exist....SOMEWHERE!

He has emailed the creator to see if he has access to the full copy.

His description of the above video is

"November 16, 1980 intro to the conclusion of "The Godfather Saga" on NBC. This was an encore presentation of the original 1977 NBC broadcast in which Francis Ford Coppola re-edited "The Godfather" and "The Godfather, Part II" with additional scenes not shown in the theatrical release for a nine hour television broadcast."

My own off-air recordings from that period do not contain this material.

If ANYONE thinks they have a copy, or knows of someone who recorded a lot of telecasts on VHS or BETAMAX back then, please let me or SonnyGFunk know.

THANKS

W
(the hunt continues)

Last edited:
Just when I thought I was out…things get more exciting!!! I hope there’s luck with this new discovery. Thanks Wraith & SonnyGFunk!

UPDATE ON 4K

So, one of my fave sites has more or less done the analysis for me...(so to speak).

Here are a few points from their review comparisoin to the 2007 Coppola Restoration which you can read in full, here.

We have compared parts 1 and 2 completely: In any case, you won't find any longer moments here, unfortunately, even if it sounded that way in the proud description with words like "adds" or "missing". Part 1 is even exactly identical without a single frame difference - apart from the fact that the Paramount logo at the beginning and the 1.5-minute restoration credits are missing in UHD.

But there's one issue: In fact, there is one shot in Part 2 that is a bit shorter in the new 4K master. This is obviously related to a reel change which was cut a bit more than usual now (+ Statement by Robert Harris):

Official answer: "Intentional, because there was an over allowance for the reel change. Since the films won't be seen on 35mm reels, FFC felt the frames should be excised.
I checked our internal inspection reports, and found a hand-written note from my assistant referencing a possible re-cut and re-conform at that shot from an earlier version.
For the record, presumably based on numerous re-cuts, there are two sets of masters on the film.
If one takes a careful look at the shot in question, a slight bump is evident going back to all earlier versions. Although not overly evident, it can be seen in the 2007 Blu-ray. Conjecture on my part.
The shot in question was not originally a reel end. When changes were made, and it became such, an additional three seconds were re-cut to the negative from the trim.
When a further change was made, and the shot was no longer the final in the reel, the 72 frames were inadvertently left in place during the heat of post-production. A bit more complex than might be expected, but you asked for my thoughts."

After the fight between Michael and Kay (and thus before the flashback with Vito), we see the dejected Kay a bit longer. The image remains rigid here, it seems almost frozen. When watching normally, however, slight movements of Kay can be seen. The additional audio bit on the old Blu-ray is also noticeable, as described in more detail in the report itself. Even if Coppola intended it to be like this in 2022: Strictly speaking, the new version can thus be classified as a cut release, especially as no other of the many reel changes has any missing frames.

So should fans insist on a 100% uncut version and ignore the UHD premiere? Absolutely not! Many movie fans might know the classic inside out, but it is doubtful whether they will notice this small mistake - and whether it will really bother them in the end. Besides that you get a nicely wrapped package, also including all three different versions of The Godfather - Part 3. The only thing still missing is a physical release of The Godfather: A Novel for Television.

NOW...this is NOT the full story.

In this FINAL series of update (which have been long delayed) I will be retaining the longer shot of KAY obviously and in fact the only material I will include from the 4K release is the stock shot of theplane landing pre-Woltz AND I will replace the Vegas Transition stock shots which have now been sourced from the original VistaVision prints from the Martin & Lewis source film.

There does still remain a two frame freeze-frame on one of the shots but it is vastly improved .

I will also be making some minor revisions to improve some transitions and restore more audio that has been located.

Full details will follow once I complete these and load the files for a final time.

After this, I will be sorting out some minor issues with Unbreakable Glass Split before then embarking on THE EXTENDED VERSIONS of Parts 1 and 2 of GF respecting the original structures but transposing all the discoveries, improvements and tweaks.

Just when I thought I was out…things get more exciting!!! I hope there’s luck with this new discovery. Thanks Wraith & @SonnyGFunk !
@Mako has also done some color work for me that will be used in two of the shots...Details will follow when they are all done.

They WILL BE the final revisions (barring any other HD material or useable audio surfacing which now seems VERY unlikely)

and this

"November 16, 1980 intro to the conclusion of "The Godfather Saga" on NBC. This was an encore presentation of the original 1977 NBC broadcast in which Francis Ford Coppola re-edited "The Godfather" and "The Godfather, Part II" with additional scenes not shown in the theatrical release for a nine hour television broadcast."

If ANYONE thinks they have a copy, or knows of someone who recorded a lot of telecasts on VHS or BETAMAX back then, please let me or SonnyGFunk know.

THANKS

W
(the hunt continues)
Has anything been recovered yet ? :)

Since we as yet do not have a full recording, nothing to report on this source as of now.

@Wraith i'm wondering how you went about comparing audio from difference sources and spotting differences in dialogue/sound effects/music? I'm currently attempting something similar and it's proving a little tricky, especially when there's 6 channels per source.

I loaded EPIC, SAG, THEATRICALS and extendeds into a single timeline, then chopped them up by scenes and often shots everytime they went out of sync...and then listended to the goddam awful multitrack listening for differences...not surprisingly I missed a few...Since part 1 and two were not 6 channel, not an issue other than it taking a couple of months and being ongoing.....and then there was @SonnyGFunk and his amazing powers of recall....

Alas...there is not much to excited about really....There are some better quality stock shots that I will replace, and if anything, GF1 is 3 secs shorter..., so I will retain the original shot.

I will however be making a final set of revisions...circa 20 which I am about halfway thru...after that this project will likely be , as it were, closed/locked.

JUMP to 2:03 and 3:58

and this

THANKS

W
(the hunt continues)
I guess I'm a bit confused... What is the significance of this find? Do you think there may yet be still more additional footage to be found here? Seems unlikely... Or do you simply just want to check? Even if you found something new, the quality will be ass so would you add it to your work?

There may be useable audio which could be used. Visually it will be nice to see it BUT will be unuseable.

The 1980 vhs of a telecast we did locate contained the missing parking lot audio of Bonasera speaking to Don Vito … which was used. The opening of part 3 contains I’ve a minute of new audio which uses repurposed HD visuals to incorporate the dialogue…

Same idea here … just to check.

The pending revisions will now almost certainly be th final ones…

Last edited:
There may be useable audio which could be used. Visually it will be nice to see it BUT will be unuseable.

The 1980 vhs of a telecast we did locate contained the missing parking lot audio of Bonasera speaking to Don Vito … which was used. The opening of part 3 contains I’ve a minute of new audio which uses repurposed HD visuals to incorporate the dialogue…

Same idea here … just to check.

The pending revisions will now almost certainly be th final ones…
Congrats on winning edit of the month!

I won’t stress you about the revisions, I just wanted to congratulate and at the same time inform those who didn’t know, so I posted here anyway :)

Congrats on winning edit of the month!

I won’t stress you about the revisions, I just wanted to congratulate and at the same time inform those who didn’t know, so I posted here anyway :)
Thanks for that…truly.
The RL onslaught has been relentless…so much so it took me 3 hours to watch the last Ep of Ozark coz I kept falling asleep…

I’m halfway done… and will post once progress continues…

Thank you all for your patience.

Just wanted to say congratulations also and looking forward to the revisions but by no means rushing, I still need to make time to watch the Eastrail 177 trilogy !

Just wanted to say congratulations also and looking forward to the revisions but by no means rushing, I still need to make time to watch the Eastrail 177 trilogy !
That’s very kind of you… thanks.

Everything will get done….even the long planned, half made GENESIS….

As an aside, someone has offered to try and up res to 1080 a VHS shot to see if it looks good enough to use….so this delay is good… in that if it were to work, there may be some new shots BUT, don’t hold your breath. I do have those retuned color shits by Mako as well, and they will look a lot better…

So there is stuff going on…just not at the normal pace.

News will come, when there is some…
(Sounds like a quote…..)

Back
Top Bottom