• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Gill-man: B+ Movie Edition

Well, I fixed the contrast between the clips, but it still looks like there may be a frame jump. It doesn't bother me too much, but if it's a barrier to it being submitted or other people are bothered by it then I'll put the original clip back in.

Good luck with the edit mate, feel free to PM me a link to it when finished or if you need any Vegas how to help.

Sinbad said:
Good luck with the edit mate, feel free to PM me a link to it when finished or if you need any Vegas how to help.

Thanks, man. Much appreciated!

Was reading up a bit on this the other day. Apparently the creature  had no form of apparatus or gear beneath the suit, which I assumed he would have. He was a professional swimmer and had to hold his breath for crazy long during takes.

Obviously much of the film is quite dated, but there's a lot that was done filming wise that was pretty impressive for the time. Apparently this was released in 3D initially as well... Just how did that work in the 50's?

Blimey yes having to swim underwater for lengthy periods in that rubber suit, health and safety would have a field day with that nowadays, although the planned Allman Bros. movie fell apart when a member of the crew was killed and a pilot was killed making American Made so obviously safety risks are still an issue.

I assume there must have been a post production technique to add the blue/red filters for 3-D, seem to remember watching a black and white film in 3-d on the tv when I was young. They made a big thing about a 3-D week on ITV giving away 3-D glasses in the 'TV Time's' 

Showing my age now...

So once I've done with this I'd quite like to add something like a retro fanedit.org logo to the film opening. Is there anything like this already available that I can use? Or, if not, would anyone be willing  to make one?

Phew... This is hard work! 

For your scrutinising (Excuse the frame jump at end of video):

Changes:

• Fight scene more than halved in length.
  • Numerous shaves and trims made throughout to individual shots in order to improve pacing
  • select shots of creature sped up slightly in order to make him appear more agile and aggressive
The original, should you wish to compare:

Nice work! definitely more visceral than the original, genuinely exciting when they are rolling around on the river bed in both versions.  Its pretty amazing that a 60 year old B movie with a bloke in a rubber suit can have more of a sense of danger than all the cgi money can buy nowadays.  I think i perfer the way the music builds to a crescendo when they are rolling around on the river bed in the original version, is that sped up in yours (would be nice to balance the video with it without truncating the score if possible) , all the rest works really well again giving 'creature' a more threatening presence.

Sinbad said:
Nice work! definitely more visceral than the original, genuinely exciting when they are rolling around on the river bed in both versions.  Its pretty amazing that a 60 year old B movie with a bloke in a rubber suit can have more of a sense of danger than all the cgi money can buy nowadays.  I think i perfer the way the music builds to a crescendo when they are rolling around on the river bed in the original version, is that sped up in yours (would be nice to balance the video with it without truncating the score if possible) , all the rest works really well again giving 'creature' a more threatening presence.

Thanks. Yeah, I really like the bit where they roll around on the riverbed. I sped up little bits of it here and there, but I also really liked the way the music worked there so I tried to keep it intact. Not sure if you're on about the same bit, but looking at it again I made a cut at around 00:54 which I'm not hundred percent happy with. I didn't really like the creature's feet waving in the air as they looked a bit too much like a suit to me, so I cut to the following shot a bit early. That could be where the flow of the music is disrupted.

1.30-1.35 on the original is the bit in the original i meant. its more the score than the visual as things do get a bit murky there.

Sinbad said:
1.30-1.35 on the original is the bit in the original i meant. its more the score than the visual as things do get a bit murky there.

Hmm. I can see what you mean, but I think my version still works, and I kind of prefer it (not that I'm biased or anything... ;) ). I might take another swing at i once I've seen/heard it with fresh eyes/ears. Cutting out footage and then trying to get the music to still work is probably one of the hardest things about this edit.

Another scene I've been working on (Probably one of my favourites – less is more!):

Change list:

• Cut hand coming out of water (we see the exact same shot earlier in the film)
  • Trimmed creature approaching tent
  • Trimmed hand appearing through tent flap
  • Cut shot of tent shaking
  • KEPT second shot of tent shaking (this bit is SO Jurassic Park - I love it!)

Original:

Like it! the first time I watched it I missed the guy asleep on the left and he seemed to pop out of nowhere. As we don't see him wake up i think the tent shake is needed after the first death to give him time/reason to awake, he did seem to jump into the scene a bit. I can see why you would want to cut that first tent shake out though works much better just shown at the end. Maybe you could shave something off the first tent shake, just use the end bit where he throws victim 1 and growls the loud growl would cover changes in the score.

Really looking forward to the final edit loved this movie genre as a kid.

Sinbad said:
Like it! the first time I watched it I missed the guy asleep on the left and he seemed to pop out of nowhere. As we don't see him wake up i think the tent shake is needed after the first death to give him time/reason to awake, he did seem to jump into the scene a bit. I can see why you would want to cut that first tent shake out though works much better just shown at the end. Maybe you could shave something off the first tent shake, just use the end bit where he throws victim 1 and growls the loud growl would cover changes in the score.

Really looking forward to the final edit loved this movie genre as a kid.

Yeah, he does kind of pop out of nowhere, doesn't he? It's not made entirely clear that he's in the tent. I'll have another look and try what you suggested.

yeah I can see its a problem inherent in the original version,  the cutaway makes it a 'little' less obvious I suppose

So I tried reinserting the shot of the tent for varying lengths of time, trying different bits of audio beneath, but it's just not working for me. I also tried having a shot of Tobias after the other guy says his name, but this still looked bad. Instead, I've extended the shot of Tobias slightly and carried the other guys scream beneath the clip of him backing away. So not a big change, but I guess it links in a bit more smoothly, as opposed to before where the scream ended and there was a complete change of score as we cut away.

Thoughts?

Yeah as my mate always says 'you can't put lipstick on a pig' I think you've done the best thats possible considering the source material, its quite fitting that some of the editing is a little off in places with something like this I'd say.

Almost finished with this. I've done a first draft of which I'm going to render and watch through tomorrow to check everything's ok. After that I'll make any necessary adjustments and also look into some of the more fancy stuff like inserting a retro fanedit.org and Juniquex logo (I may possibly need someone's assistance with this if anyone's up for it). I'll also try and write up a cutlist as I've been inconsistent with tracking that.

I still haven't thought of an appropriate fanedit title yet, so suggestions are appreciated! The edit is currently 59 minutes, the original film being 76 Minutes - so 17 minutes have been cut. No whole scenes have been removed except one short one that essentially replicates the previous scene. Only one line of dialogue has been removed. All the time that's been taken off has been through constant trimming and shaving of various scenes in order to improve the pacing, get rid of unnecessary shots and filler and generally try and make the experience more fun and less of a slog. I've enjoyed the process quite a lot so if this one goes down well and generates enough interest, I may have a go at doing something similar with some of the other old sci-fi b-movies I own.

Possumbilities:

Critter From the Black Lagoon
Creature From the Abbreviated Lagoon
Creature From the Abridged Lagoon

ssj said:
Creature From the Abridged Lagoon

I like it! I also thought of this earlier:

Creature From The Black Lagoon: B+ Edition

You know... Cos it's a B movie? But it's kind of been improved? So it's B+? Get it?

Creature from the 'no slack' lagoon (perfectors cut)

Back
Top Bottom