• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The future of FEs: HD-DVD or Blu-Ray... Do you own either?

Which HD format would you prefer to see used in fanedits/preservations?

• Blu-Ray (BD9)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • HD-DVD (HD-DVD9)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single layer DVD-ROM with x264 video in an .mkv format

• None! It's too soon to tell.

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Especially if it was 30th anniversary set he promised... with a disc of deleted scenes... and a restored OT. ;)

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My dream 30th Anniversary set would have included a fully restored release of every cut in one box. Theatrical Star Wars, re-release theatrical A New Hope, 1997 SE A New Hope (now on DVD!), 2004 DVD, etc. all 3 for ESB & ROTJ, both theatrical & DVD for the prequel trilogy and perhaps some extras like TV shows. The word "comprehensive" comes to my mind when I imagine it.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So it turns out I know not of what I speak.
I mean yes, technically BD9 and HDDVD9 are spec standard... but there's really no way to make them yourself.

I believe you could with stuff like Nero Vision, but if you want to use x264 codec and do it by hand it's not really possible yet.
NDAs prevents detailed information from coming out.
There are custom profiles under MeGUI http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=101813&page=1 that are experimental for HD-DVD, but it's just that: experimental.

I'm not sure I feel good about taking a project and leaving myself at the mercy of crapware like Nero Vision.

I'd really like to not have to do my project again in a few years when the formats shake down. But on the bright side by then we'll all have HAL computers with 8 core processors or something.

Top Bottom