• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Font Help Spot

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone know this font?:
0ahs.jpg

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aarrggh, my font fiend did not know. Suggested it might have been computer distorted and more difficult to ID.
I placed a request on a forum board.
Meanwhile, my friend suggested you load the image here:
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, [MENTION=17386]Vultural[/MENTION]! I tried whatthefont, didn't work, I'll just have to find something else, no worries. :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
personally, I think it is a font, and not a custom illustration. Finding it in the sea of fonts will be tough though. That similar suggestion posted above might do with some modification though.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oooh nice thread, hadn't spotted it before. Here is query I posted in my own thread...

TM2YC said:
Anybody know what font this is? (Or one similar)...

10582611615_fd1358362c.jpg

... as I may do a few more of these title cards in part two.

Gatos said:
"Koloss Regular" is sort of similar but not an exact match:

image.php

TM2YC said:
^ That's damned close but I need a fat 3D version of it or something similar. The closest in feel I've found so far is the 'Bad Mofo' font from Sam Jackson's wallet...

10584205533_bbdc0f983f.jpg

^ Nothing like as nice

Anybody here know of a link to (A free) chunky 3D font that aproximates the top screenshot?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3D pushed that far is usually done in photoshop, and not inherent in the font. You should be able to take the one that Gatos suggested and make it look like the title.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone know of a free font that looks a bit like this Hartnell era Doctor Who title card?

10947532463_391a9de427_c.jpg

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Closest I got are Impact and Helvetica Neue LT Com. Google is your friend.

856f.png

^ I did some kerning tweaking to make them closer. The thickness of Impact is the only standing in the way of it being a perfect match.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Heletica family is huge, and was the first thing I thought of when I saw that image. You could definitely get something to work well, however it isn't free. Impact should work out alright for a free solution.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC I know you said you found a free font that is close to what you want. In case you want to change it/still not completely satisfied with the font style here was what I found for close matches:
Original:
o5as.jpg

Bureau Grotesque Font:
bdnm.jpg

Seems like the width of the font I found is a bit thicker/wider than your original. But the image above is not the font as is, I warped the height. A closer, possibly exact match is "Bureau Grot Condensed Book" but its a commercial font. When I did a search for a free version all I was able to find was the above font.

Just FYI, when I'm looking for a font, I've had about a 90% success rate using WhatTheFont , where you can upload the image and it isolates the letters (you have to make sure they have identified the letters correctly) then it generates results.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
TM2YC I know you said you found a free font that is close to what you want. In case you want to change it/still not completely satisfied with the font style here was what I found for close matches:
Original:
o5as.jpg

Bureau Grotesque Font:
bdnm.jpg

Seems like the width of the font I found is a bit thicker/wider than your original. But the image above is not the font as is, I warped the height. A closer, possibly exact match is "Bureau Grot Condensed Book" but its a commercial font. When I did a search for a free version all I was able to find was the above font.

Just FYI, when I'm looking for a font, I've had about a 90% success rate using WhatTheFont , where you can upload the image and it isolates the letters (you have to make sure they have identified the letters correctly) then it generates results.

Thanks for tip, I'll be trying that WhatTheFont image search in future for sure. You are correct 'Bureau Grotesque' is the font used (According to a Dr Who fansite) but not free.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can anyone figure out what this one is?
1mqv.png

Top Bottom