• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Following (It Follows fanedit with Carpenter score)

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After my vietnam and zombie tour of Born to Kill and The Dead Walk, i decided to work on this one.
The Following, a edit from It Follows with Carpenter music overdub.
The soundtrack is great and like i said in the fanedit ideas thread it looks like a John Carpenter movie with his music.
Carpenter is doing shit these days, his last movie is from 2009 and that's too bad because he is one of my favorite directors.
A few month's ago he released a great album "Lost Themes" and i must say the man still got it.
It follows remembers me of Halloween, Why? well, i don't know, it's just the visual style of filming i suppose
A fresh start in modern horror but i prefere the horror with great special effects, sick, very bloody over the top like Peter Jackson's Dead Alive or Mother's Day for example.
And also in the early days the movies of Lucio Fulci or the slashermovies with make up effects of Tom Savini
(Yeah i know, i'm a terrible man)
Too bad you don't see that anymore
The horror these days the so called "straight to video" or whatever are mostly trash, cheap, and some with bad acting.
It follows is great, no bloody effects but what the hell, you can't have everything you want.

For now i use 12 audio segments of Carpenter in this cut:

From Assault, Halloween, The Fog, Escape, and Lost themes and maybe some others like Village of the Damned.

Cuts: Well, this is gonna be a shorter cut as the original but how short i don't know, i think i cut out the scenes to speed up the story.
If everything runs well then this is gonna be released in september.

I'm still thinking about a front cover but if somebody wants to do a dvd cover of this be my quest, i'm to lazy:cry: to do it and i'm busy with editing of course.;-)

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
what sources are using for the film? blu ray or dvd
tweaked the cover a bit more
2zp61dt.jpg

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Always blu-ray man, i hope i got m this week from the import
Great cover man, that was fast:)

I use the front cover for the release.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Starting to work today on the following.
The import blu-ray was yesterday delivered.
Well, it's about time:x

This is gonna be a shorter cut.
I know now for sure.
I have a problem with the fact that the dating guy in the beginning of the movie was not found by the police.
In the original Monroe starts to look for him, and she found him.
Well, not in this edit, the guy stays a mystery.
There are some cuts in the "long scenes" where nothing happens to put the horror and action on top, exept for the the scenes i use for the Carpenter overdub of course
I was testing this movie with trailers with no sound to see if it worked with Carpenter music.
Well, it did, so i have a good feeling about this.
A fresh start this "following" after the dead walk because the editing really put the hook in me:-o
Maybe if this edit runs well, then i release this also in august, not in september

updates coming up;-)

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
At the moment a lot of cuts in The Following.
For now, i think this works great, i try to mix the Carpenter score with the music of Disasterpeace. (fade in fade out)
I use also some audio segments from Christine and Prince of Darkness and testing some of Mouth of Madness.
I have a good feeling about this, a lot of fun to work on.
Like is said, a lot of cuts, i think for now this workprint is around the 70 minutes

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is done
I think this first workprint is the best.
Around the 70 minutes and it was a lot of fun to do this
Next week on Mega and also the release of course:)

Audio segments in this final print : From Assault, Escape, Halloween 1, 2 and 3. The Fog, Prince of Darkness, Village, and Mouth of madness.
Cuts: Well, what can i say, all the moments where nothing happens, the search for the dating guy is cut, and that was way to long in the original, and also some "boring" scenes.
Also some trims in bla bla bla scenes.
But the movie was great, i hope this is not gonna be a start of stupid sequels because if we watch about a few years "it Follows part 5" then the whole original idea behind this movie is fucked up.
I hope you like this fanedit and up to the next!;-)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great to hear! Very excited to see this one.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice covers J, two suggestions.

1) Use the full titles for the movies that music comes from. "Escape From New York".
2) Take out that huge **** review for the original film, and use that space to put the text of what music courses were used.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. I was just going by what the editor had typed.
2. so, move all the white text up- including "The purpose of this edit is.."

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well you misunderstood what I said, but that looks better.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Well you misunderstood what I said, but that looks better.

You said take out the huge review- so I did.
so not sure what I misunderstood, seems to me the reason for the edit should be listed before what sources
were used, but that's just me.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I meant take out the whole top text, including the one-line review and the 4 stars. But don't worry, it looks really good as it is.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the front cover of cover 2 is really fantastic

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Following is re-made and also released

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review from IFDB:

This is a really good edit. I enjoyed it very much. The music of John Carpenter films works really well with this film. Going in I thought it was completely rescored but I'm really glad it was a mixture of Carpenter stuff and Disasterpeace's score from the theatrical cut. I think it's a brilliant score but it was cool to see some other great pieces of music work mixed in. None of the new music felt out of place; it pretty much all worked.

Some things I loved:

*Many of the new music cues but particularly when the chlorophyll is used and when Jay bikes to the playground
*Trimming most of the Paul stuff throughout - didn't miss it, personally
*Cutting the weird looping run the girl does in the very first scene (I have no idea why I found it so odd or it bugged me so much)
*The theatrical cut is a brisk pace but this is breakneck. I usually dig that in a fanedit (provided the story remains intact) because I'm already very familiar with the source. I learned in doing a 70 minute horror film edit that some people really dislike that length but for me if the story works, I love it.

Some minor quibbles:
*Crossfade from 'It' finding her in school to the yogurt. I personally hate a crossfade from quick motion or action and think a hard cut works better from kinetic motion to an establishing shot.
*Sequence at 42:48 where there's a fade to black, hard cut in then a crossfade after the two second establishing shot
*Music over Jay crying after the stuff with her neighbor (trying to be vague). I know it was from the OST and probably in the theatrical cut but I just would have preferred many other tracks from the soundtrack over that. That particular tune strikes me as being best over some establishing wide shots or something like that. Again, probably not even an editing choice and it's still fine.
*I did miss the trip to Hugh's place downtown but I understand why it got cut.

Overall, great job. Another good edit from Maniac!

Top Bottom