• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Film Video Essay Thread

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:

I remember it just fine... I've always loved that movie!  I think the sensibilities of the film just didn't connect with a lot of people.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:

Boy, does that video overstate the case. Sky Captain pioneered the use of multiple visual effects houses? Pretty sure that's wildly untrue. Pioneered digitally shot cinema? It came out two years after Attack of the Clones. Pioneered digital sets? Maybe, but that development was inevitable. As for Paltrow, it's been ages since I saw the movie, but I suspect she was badly miscast as a "plucky reporter" archetype; she's too fundamentally elegant to put up with a gee-whiz boy hero like Sky Captain.

That said, I'd like to see a reboot of Sky Captain on a service such as Netflix, where episodes can match movie serial lengths, big stars aren't required, and computer advances can keep budgets sane.

(Though, this does make me want to watch the movie again.)

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points

One of my favourite video essay channels, I’d share all their videos here anyways, but this one especially so, as it focuses on the role of the editor!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A review of Die Spy Kill Kill, an edit by Team Spyral that was submitted here a few years back

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thoroughly enjoyed this look at Dune and it's legacy

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How to fix Rogue One in 4 simple steps:
Step 1: turn on movie
Step 2: shut up and enjoy the best Star Wars movie to come out since the Original Trilogy
Step 3: watch through the credits with grateful tears rolling down your eyes
Step 4: go to sleep and dream they will make another Star Wars film this good some day

cafevincent

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This video has some constructive criticism, a lot of which sounds fixable in editing *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm such a sucker for Star Wars.  I can get burned by one cash-in after another, and my love of Lucas' vision keeps me interested.  Caught this talk recently and it was pretty engaging, even after watching literally hundreds of Making-Of features.  The difference is that Lucas and Nolan gave this talk to the DGA, so there were a lot of inside baseball moments.

A couple things that clicked for me when I watched this...  
Of course Lucas was a visual purist in film school, it makes so much sense now.  The great strength of his films is always in how he frames motion, and how the movements tell the story and reveal character.  He was never excited by his writing, and of course that's always been the area where weaknesses pop up.  I already knew all the bits about him being an Anthropology major and how he incorporated archetypes into the OT, but it clicked with me that this is probably the biggest missing ingredient of the sequel trilogy.  They didn't build a new mythology, and didn't capitalize on the existing mythology.  It was standard world-building or attempts at character-building that you see in lots of other films...very different than what Lucas did.  Also, I love that Spielberg was literally the only person that knew how great Star Wars was going to be.  I've heard other stories about how Lucas' director friends bashed the film...they literally thought he would never work again.  Would've been nice to hear Lucas acknowledge his ex-wife Marcia Lucas by name as helping save A New Hope in the edit, rather than just referring to her as one of his "assistant editors".

Anyway, it's a good talk, enjoy.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I kind of went down the rabbit hole of this thread today and watched quite a few. There’s some great stuff in here, but I have to say the Red Letter Media wannabes have to stop. The folks making these videos have some good insights. But in case any of them may read this, please stop with the RLM nonsense. It’s not even funny anymore when RLM does it.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I kind of went down the rabbit hole of this thread today and watched quite a few. There’s some great stuff in here, but I have to say the Red Letter Media wannabes have to stop. The folks making these videos have some good insights. But in case any of them may read this, please stop with the RLM nonsense. It’s not even funny anymore when RLM does it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:

Attempts at humour? You've hit the nail on the head, I was trying to watch some "Tenet Explained" videos on YT the other day but I really got frustrated with most of them and had to switch them off because they kept doing the sort of thing you describe, interrupting their own actually interesting essays. To use that same type of meme-based humour I'll express my feelings thusly...

Having said that, I can't agree about it being "not even funny anymore when RLM does it.". I love their sense of humour.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The key word is “anymore.” RLM’s prequel videos were hilarious. But it’s gotten old and the pale imitators haven’t helped.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So... just dropping in to say that all of Patrick (H) Willems' videos/episodes this year have been completely delightful. Innovative, funny, and with increasingly assured filmmaking. An all-around gem of a channel, despite his persistent love for The Last Jedi:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
So... just dropping in to say that all of Patrick (H) Willems' videos/episodes this year have been completely delightful. Innovative, funny, and with increasingly assured filmmaking. An all-around gem of a channel, despite his persistent love for The Last Jedi:

Well, given what you said about his love for TLJ, I gave his recent Star Wars video a watch. Though, he liked TLJ much more than I did (I like the concepts, ideas, and refreshing expansion of what SW is more than the execution), I think his overall take on that movie and Star Wars in general is spot on for the way I feel about Star Wars. Particularly the idea that if you don’t like something, simply move on and allow those that did like it the ability to enjoy it. I’ll definitely be watching more of his videos. Thanks for sharing.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Toward the end of his above "Gonzo Blockbusters" episode, he asks what recent movie has offered continuous wild spectacle and great storytelling, and I tensed up in apprehension that he'd nominate The Last Jedi. I was most pleased, therefore at his actual answer. :p

Top Bottom