• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Film Video Essay Thread

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This little critique of thematic problems in Marvel's scoring contains a few soundtrack replacement edits, might be worth a look-see for anyone wanting to replace scores in edits based on them

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One form of fan editing that has exploded in the past year or so has been video essays. I hereby declare this thread an ongoing place to share and discuss such works, much as "A Few Reviews" is for movies in general. To kick us off, here's a solid oldie (as in five months) by kaptainkristian, "Superman - The Golden Age of Animation":

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought this must have been mentioned on these forums before, but search returns empty... Therefore, I'm going to recommend The Directors Series essays (on Kubrick, Fincher, PTA and Coen Brothers so far). Very well thought of, extensive and eloquent.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I'm really happy the form is blowing up. I didn't know it existed before somebody put up the Every Frame A Painting video on how editors think and feel. Ever since, I have been watching a lot whenever I have a few minutes. Mostly https://vimeo.com/groups/35mmandrisdamburs which usually has interesting ones.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
Here's a little meta-ness to start.

I see your "little meta-ness" and raise you a whole bunch of meta, courtesy of Cameron Carpenter's WHY IS CINEMA, exploring the oeuvre of Christopher Nolan:

:p

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(cool thread idea, and i agree with pretty much everyone else on these video essay things...  they're awesome.  Every Frame a Painting is top-effing-notch.)
here's one i learned about in a youtube comments section.  Good Bad Flicks
just an example here from a movie that often gets high praise from the edit.
look around other videos though, there is other good stuff there.
some videos feels like a video version of IMDB Trivia, but work past that.  he gives a synopsis of the subject movie, along with some witty commentary, then breaks it down with history and trivia.  the Exploring series is pretty much all history and trivia and more mainstream movies.
a really fun way to kill 20 minutes at a time.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I merged Zarius's post at the top into this thread and I guess it was made before this thread was, hence it being on top despite the fact that Gaith started the thread. Sorry about the confusion.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
Here's a little meta-ness to start. I'd recommend pretty much everything from Every Frame a Painting.

Thanks for that, it was awesome if too short.

Everybody should really check out 'F for Fake' if you haven't already. Welles got the footage (and the deleted scenes) from a TV documentary (by somebody else) about an art forger and recut it into his own movie about forgery in general. It's arguably the first fanedit.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
This little critique of thematic problems in Marvel's scoring contains a few soundtrack replacement edits, might be worth a look-see for anyone wanting to replace scores in edits based on them

[Marvel Music: The Thematic Continuity Issue]

Building on that video's theme, I guess, given that Michael Giacchino has scored the new Marvel Studios fanfare, Brian Tyler and his great (and still fairly new) fanfare are really gone from the MCU. That's a shame, as I really dug both that and his Iron Man theme. The Slashfilm article linked above has a comment from one Jean Morel that speculates why, but as it's an unsourced, hearsay opinion I won't quote it here.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Where the hell does this fit in?

I was reminded of Pink Floyd at the beginning and a bit of Dream Theater after that, though that may say more about me than the music.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Adabisi said:
Here's a little meta-ness to start.

I see your "little meta-ness" and raise you a whole bunch of meta, courtesy of Cameron Carpenter's WHY IS CINEMA, exploring the oeuvre of Christopher Nolan:

:p

@"Gaith", this was a joke right? The visuals are.....well the visuals....

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Not sure what you mean - the video's as serious as a heart attack. ;)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, heart attacks are pretty bad   :rolleyes:

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Research for rvkf2k music ;)

[i removed the other two videos.]
(replied from What Are You Listening to.  i wanted to respond but this guy isn't totally centered around music/audio and i didn't want to completely derail the WAYLT thread.)
the 8-bit Guy has quite a few pretty interesting videos, mostly centered around old tech (obviously).
i thought it was ok to include info on this guy here because while he doesn't fit the video-essay style as is common on most of those included in our thread, he does stay on a specific topic.  though i guess it's closer to a talk show segment than a video essay.

one video he talks about going to Sally's Beauty Supply for a bottle of high concentrate hydrogen peroxide because it can be used on old faded plastic to restore retro tech cases.  and he explains going there because the standard bottle from the pharmacy has to low of a percentage.
 (he goes by the ibook guy for this video)

(and i don't know why embedding videos doesn't function for me when i'm at work but does at home.  sorry about that, i guess, i'll try to remember to fix it at home.)  (fixed it.  thank you for the reminder, @"ssj" )

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
baileym43 said:
and i don't know why embedding videos doesn't function for me when i'm at work

probably because of the surveillance software. :D

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
holy hell . . . . speaking of color grading....  (no one was speaking of color grading)

this guy talks about the Marvel movies' color levels.
a huuuuge touching point for our members here.
and he demonstrates a level adjustment right there while recording and it feels like your eyes relax when he's done.
truly amazing stuff and absolute ZERO surprise to many of our guys here.
(i also like how he gives a brief nod to the other vidEssayist about the Marvel film-scores.)

(i'll try to remember to embed the vid when i get home. done)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Well I disagree with pretty much all of that :D .

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Care to elaborate? I thought you'd have agreed with him...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ Care to elaborate? I thought you'd have agreed with him...

If you want a film to look colourful and contrasty speak to the lighting Director, the costume Designer, the Cinematographer and the art Director. Speaking to the digital Colourist at the final grading stage and asking them to fix your film means you failed and probably shouldn't be a film Director ;) .

I think the video entirely misunderstands the problem with the way modern films often look. The massive power of digital-grading means Directors mistakenly believe that they don't need to think, or bother about the films look 'til the end. Case in point... he says he dislikes the look of the airport scene in Civil War. It actually looks graded well, accurate and realistic. It doesn't have much colour because it was shot at an airport on a dull day.

Also he picks out some truly terribly graded films like 'Skyfall' as examples of how to grade movies.

Top Bottom