• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Fellowship of the Ring BOOK CUT

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In conjunction with Phil, the original fan editor behind the rare book cuts, these revamped book cuts are finally published.
The film was re-cut as close as the faneditors wanted it... to the book... with obviously not ALL of the footage from the book because this would have required extra footage.

original film name: The Fellowship of the Ring
new film name : The Fellowship of the Ring BOOK CUT
film studio name : New Line Cinema
edit crew name : Hal9000
Date Original Film Was Released : 2001
Date Edit Was Released : February 2009

Cuts removed/added/extended :We re-cut the film as close as we wanted
it... to the book... obviously we couldn't have ALL of the stuff from
the book because we would need extra footage.

The film begins, not by a prologue but with Bilbo writing his book...
it all happens in sequence until when Gandalf trots to Minas Tirith
and looks at the old scrolls... then we see an un-cut and un-narrated
LAST ALLIANCE battle.

Removed a few of Merry and Pippin's Jar Jar moments.

It goes in order but there are no Gandalf/Saruman sub-plot
intercuts... so now we, the audience don't know what happened to him!

The film keeps going and we stop right at when the Ringwraiths meet
their (temporary) doom at the ford of Bruinen. (Phil's voice can be
heard added to this scene.)

Disc 2 is inserted, and we fade in with Gandalf sitting near Frodo's
bed. When Frodo asks him what happened, Gandalf recalls the FULL and
UNCUT sub-plot of the Saruman "incident," minus the line about Sauron
not being able to take physical shape.

A few chunks of the prologue are dispersed throughout the film, such
as Isildur's fate and some Gollum content.

Obliterated the lame self-doubt of Aragorn. (No telling Legolas to sit
down at the Council, no protesting Elrond and Arwen's encouragement,
etc.)

We also tried to make Saruman a little less "central" as a villian...
like in the books. So, you won't be hearing
Gandalf say "It's Sarumaaaan!" at Caradrhas for example. Nor, will you
see alot of Uruk-Hai suiting up and stuff that takes place in
Saruman's shack.

Moria sees a shortened plight on the crumbling staircase, and the
fellowship don't see/notice any dwarf corpses until Balin's tomb. So
the Watcher's attack is more of a surprise... sort of.

The theatrical version of the approach on Lothlórien is used in order
to remove the out of place scene from the extended edition.

Galadriel does not tell Frodo someone inside the fellowship will try
to take the ring, nor talks to Aragorn about his self-doubt.

When they boat through the Anduin there is no "Isengard theme music
video" with intercuts with the Fellowship and the Uruk-Hai.
The extended night scene with Boromir, Aragorn, Frodo, and Gollum....
We removed the quarrel between Boromir and Aragorn. Because Aragorn
is too much of a self-doubting nut and the book doesn't reveal such
bitterness toward Boromir or Gondor on his part.
And we do not see Boromir die... he blows his horn once and the trio
run for his aid and we CUT to Frodo with the ring.

The film ends that way... without intercutting with Aragorn and
company... that, we will see in our revamped TTT cut!

Fanedit details :Disc 1 can fit onto a single-layered DVD,
but disc 2 needs to either be burned to a dual-layered disc or
compressed.
Your intention for this fanedit: Above
Your way to achieve your intention: Above
Hardware and software information :
Womble
DVD Lab
MPEG Streamclip
Some other tools

Additional Comment:
Time needed for the edition: 3 months ish
persons involved: Kirk Shelton and Phil Dragash

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

Xammer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally this edit gets to be released. Does it include the Lothlorien regrading?

I also know that he made 2 versions of the TTT edit (this and this). Which one will you be releasing?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Xammer said:
Finally this edit gets to be released. Does it include the Lothlorien regrading?

I also know that he made 2 versions of the TTT edit (this and this). Which one will you be releasing?

To my knowledge this is neither of those versions. Those were originally done by Lord Phillock. I believe this is a "third version" as Hal9000 and Lord Phillock were working on this together. I could be wrong on this, but this was my understanding of it.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you're right Throw - LordPhillock told me that in a PM recently.

But have they missed the boat with that upstart Kerr on the case ....... :lol:

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think they were surprised by kerr totally... and I think they rushed to release their efforts as long as someone might care. Will it be too late? Is this a good strategy? We'll see...

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
um... yes. i absolutely care.

it will be interesting to see the differences - the most obvious being kerr is following THE ACTUAL BOOK parts (1-6).

if there can be an infinite amount of matrix and superman edits, i welcome even a fraction of LOTR edits...

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wait... this is the "sharkey" trilogy, right? isn't HAL9000 sharkey?

if so... they had been working on this long before kerr... *confused*

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
joebshmoe said:
wait... this is the "sharkey" trilogy, right? isn't HAL9000 sharkey?

if so... they had been working on this long before kerr... *confused*

yep. sharkey = HAL9000. However, this is a different set of cuts I think from his "sharkey trilogy" But, you are right that this (the original book cuts) has sort of been in the works for a long time, but was riddled with problems sort of. Here is my understanding of the whole timeline:

Fellowship v1 - tiny release. hard to get
Two Towers v1 - same deal
Return of the King - Never done?
Fellowship v2 - done, but was this actually released?
Two Towers v2 - not sure if ever finished

Fellowship and Two Towers were 2-disc single layer releases, and I think the essence was that each book was sort of on a disc, so in theory it was supposed to be about 6 DVDs for the 6 books. The project never really finished. Always talk of restarting, but then always ended in nothing. I guess that HAL9000 and Lord Phillock worked on this new release, and perhaps we will get the whole thing in a standard format. It also seems that they released 2-discs for this, but I have no idea whether or not they adhere to the book divisions.

I could also be confused on this, but this is what I think is going on.

Xammer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Fellowship v1 - tiny release. hard to get
Two Towers v1 - same deal
Return of the King - Never done?
Fellowship v2 - done, but was this actually released?
Two Towers v2 - not sure if ever finished

It was actually something like this:

TTT - Dec 2005
ROTK - Jan 2006
FOTR - Mar 2006
TTT v2 - May 2006

These edits were all (except TTT v1) released on Demonoid but with little seeding.
Then Phillock said that he lost the FOTR and TTT (v1) disks and he is re-doing them.

FOTR v2 - Dec 2007 (only a beta of Disc 1 was released, then the project kinda died)
TTT v2, ROTK v2 - never done
FOTR, TTT, ROTK v1.1 - planned release by ThrowgnCpr (c. Aug 2008)
FOTR, TTT, ROTK v.x? - current release (nobody seems to know if it's a repost, a rerelease or a complete redoing)

I hope I got things right.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the info. I was relatively close. I do not have any version of ROTK, I was under the impression that it was never released (maybe finished, but not seeded?). I still have the version 1 of FOTR and TTT, but I dont see a point in trying to do anything with them if these are an improved final version.

...and btw, I should be getting the new edits in the post soon to up to RS. I'll keep folks posted.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A little OT - but I think this is worthwhile mentioning.

Now, IMPO - Kerr is doing everything right for his releases vs the new releases from HAL9000/LordPhillock.

a) He releases on XVID first AND over RS
b) Any problems with his cuts are noted, he makes changes and then
c) He released a full DVD over RS

The Sharkey/Hal9000 releases are full and start over BT, we know nothing of the changes until release, so no ability to comment and I think people are reluctant to download over BT for such a large release.

Also - given that we already have 'Sharkey's' LOTR- I think anyone participating in those releases might be a little reluctant to download another full trilogy on full DVD over BT.

Strategically - I think this is not such a great move and given that alot of us have already sampled Kerrs releases(which are already A+), certainly from my point of view, I'm reluctant to download the new HAL9000 release.

Yes - this has no bearing on this release - but I think that HAL9000/LordPhillock could have made this release far more accessible.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What white said.

I've only been hanging around for a week or so but yeah, this came out of the blue and may even confuse people on what to download because of the not too different titles.

I guess with Kerr's releases there is an emotional attachment as well because he has been asking for input and accepting suggestions so anybody reading this board feels a little involved simply by following his progress.
Because of that, it's a real easy decision to grab his releases.

As for this one, well, I don't feel inclined to download approx. 10 gigs (probably more) of something without an idea if it's any good.

The timing could have been better, no doubt. Waiting a month or two would have been a better idea.
Not only would Kerr's release be a couple of months old by then and no longer be the latest antipicated release, people could have been given time to get excited about another version and itself be an anticipated release.

But this way, it's just really impolite and doesn't lend itself to being something that people want to download.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think "impolite" is a fitting word here. When 2 faneditors are working on the same project and discover that, they have a problem: who is going to watch my fanedit, the thing I put in so much hard work for weeks now?
It's a difficult decision, but I understand a faneditor, who does want to release his own version and does not want to wait a few months longer, because someone else does the same thing.

But no matter how good THIS one here is, kerr has chosen a great way to involve the community and with that has gained the attention. Currently it looks like Hal9000 will have a hard time with his book cuts to get in any kind of competition. Also because of the huge download size and bad seeding (as usual for his releases it is craaaaaawling).

Maybe this is another lesson on how to properly release a fanedit. :)

Xammer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I like the fact that both are released on BT (I hate RS because you have to remember to download each part, whereas with BT you can leave the complete download unattended).

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Xammer said:
Well, I like the fact that both are released on BT (I hate RS because you have to remember to download each part, whereas with BT you can leave the complete download unattended).

Nonsense. Get a client like Flashget. Get all the links in a text file and load them in and leave to download. RS is superior, in that you are downloading direct from servers and not relying on seeders in BT. You don't need to seed back with RS either in order to maintain a ratio. Plus, you are not sharing the release from a legal point of view.

Xammer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
Nonsense. Get a client like Flashget. Get all the links in a text file and load them in and leave to download.

Do I need a premium account for that?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well of course.

"oh no, it costs money! I am not willing to spend money, or don't have money, or never had or will have money, even if the download is 100 times faster than the usual fanedit torrent, if that ever finishes at all that is..." ;-)

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Xammer said:
white43 said:
Nonsense. Get a client like Flashget. Get all the links in a text file and load them in and leave to download.

Do I need a premium account for that?

I haven't tried flashget but I know that jDownloader works really well.
If you don't have a premium account it's able to determine how long it has to wait to get the next file.

If flashget could do it, maybe I will try that because jDownloader is java and I really don't like java.

Top Bottom