• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Fate of Mandalore - my 2 hr, 30 min feature film edit of Mando Season 3

Gibichung

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TLDR: The Mandalorian, Season 3 edited as a 2-hour and 30-minute epic war film complete with an opening crawl and end credits. Eligible for IFDB submission on March 1st, one year after the season premiere. Over the past several months, the edit has been remastered with 4K source, 5.1 sound, and incorporated viewer feedback. Please feel free to reach out!

full

Background:
Season 3 was very hit-and-miss for me. I thought the misses weren’t that bad but it’s certainly my least favorite out of all Mandalorian seasons- maybe just above Boba Fett if we’re talking about the shows in general. What I find interesting is that all the great stuff about this season do tie together nicely as a single standalone volume.

Main Changes:
Act 1:
  • Added opening crawl. Updated verbiage for remaster.
  • Introduced mystery and main story threat – Captain Carson Teva investigates transport wreckage.
  • Introduced characters, sense of wonder, whimsy, and space action - Din Djarin and Grogu in hyperspace then escapes a pirate attack. I could’ve taken out the space whales, but I didn’t. I like them.
  • Bo-Katan introduced at Kalevala.
  • Cut down scenes at Nevarro. Removed pirate standoff outside the school.
  • Removed Dr. Pershing’s day-to-day scenes. Kept essential scenes with Elia Kane as a necessary story-point for Moff Gideon.
  • Shortened dialogue with Peli Motto. Scenes are needed because of R5.
  • Din arrives to Mandalore and gets imprisoned. Grogu escapes and reaches out to Bo.
  • Pirate King Gorian Shard attacks Nevarro which sets up Act 2.
  • Carson Teva receives Greef’s call for help.
Act 2
  • Bo saves Din. Kept most scenes at the Living Waters redeeming both Din and Bo.
  • Din and Bo fight off Tie-fighters forcing them into the Covert. Preserved action sequence in its entirety.
  • The Armorer redeems both Din and Bo. Removed all scenes with the flying creature.
  • Removed scenes with Paz and his son getting abducted. I do like Paz a lot so I kept as much of him around as possible so that his death is emotional. But no more of his son.
  • Carson arrives to the Covert and Mandalorians answer the call.
  • Mandalorians save Nevarro.
  • The Armorer appoints Bo to unite dispossessed survivors to retake Mandalore.
  • Removed all scenes with the Captain and the Duchess. As much as I love Lizzo, Jack Black, and Christopher Lloyd individually, those scenes weren’t relevant. Bo arrive at Plazir-15 and claims leadership from Axe Woves. That’s it, and it works.
Act 3
  • Mandalorians arrive at their home planet and find a separate clan living there.
  • Removed fight scene between Paz and Axe.
  • Removed big creature action scene forcing them to the Great Forge. It’s better if they just go there.
  • The rest of Act 3 pretty much plays out as the final two episodes of the season: The Spies and The Return
  • Removed minor scenes with R5 zapping those mouse droids (except for the bit at the end). It’s better suited as one-long, hallway action sequence John Wick-style for Din. Pretty cool.
  • Removed scene at the secret garden. I do like the idea that good things still persevere in Mandalore, but sadly I didn't think it added much to the closing sequences.
  • Removed Paz's son at the Living Waters. Get outta here kid.
  • Removed scene with Carson Teva at the space saloon. It’s a setup I don’t need for this, unfortunately.
  • Removed scenes with IG-12 (or -11 rebuilt?) as Nevarro’s new lawman. I just need closure with Din, Grogu, and Greef.
  • Removed iris-wipe to Grogu’s face (too cheesy). Added feathered iris-wipe to Grogu’s face (cheesy but in a Star Wars way).
  • Added classic Star Wars credits sequence.
  • Sadly, Carl Weathers passed away earlier this month. Added commemoration for him in the credits.
Final thoughts:
When working on this, I realized I didn’t have to over-complicate it. No need to modify the main storylines that much. It really does edit itself down. Of course, there are things I can’t “fix” such as Carson already knowing Greef and Din (so it's not really standalone), or where the heck did Bo get new shoulder armor since I removed the flying creature episode entirely. Those are difficult to add in exposition so I edited around it as much as possible. Also, I feel like all Star Wars editors can attest to a specific struggle- when to use and when not to use a wipe transition. I think it’s just personal taste and pacing. Honestly one of the more difficult aspects of this is at the very beginning- the opening crawl! It has to read mythic and Star Wars, but not too campy and inside baseball. But it also can’t be too wordy. And it also can't be too general. I had to study existing crawls and made sure that I was around the average word count and things like that when I wrote it. After a year, I was able to remove a whole paragraph in this REMASTERED edit and made some minor tweaks on the overall edit for pacing.

Overall, this was a lot of fun, and I hope others can provide some feedback. I'm so excited to be finally submitting this to the academy soon. Please reach out, and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
I just watched someone else's Season Two series to movie. I'm very interested in this, Agatha.

I just watched someone else's Season Two series to movie. I'm very interested in this, Agatha.

Much appreciated, and yes there's been some really good Mando edits over the years!

As per our own-the-source rule, this should not have been submitted to IFDB. March 1st was the air date for the first episode. This is a full-season edit of a season that aired over the course of 2 months, and it has not yet been a full year since the series finished airing.

The whole point of the 365 day rule is to give time for studios to announce a commercially available release outside of streaming platforms. If such a release becomes available, that changes the game and streaming sources are not acceptable. Disney announced months ago that blu-ray releases for season 1 and 2 would be coming out this year, and it would be wise to consider the possibility that season 3 may follow.

With all this in mind, this thread is closed. PM staff if any clarity is needed.

Back
Top Bottom