• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Fall of the Pacific: A Pearl Harbor, Midway and Halo Soundtrack Mix

Murikamir

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

The Fall of the Pacific

This is my Fan Edit combining Pearl Harbor, Midway and the Halo Soundtrack into a one hour non-stop war film. For those who haven't seen them, Pearl Harbor and Midway are both films about the beginning of WWII in the Pacific, specifically the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the the Battle of Midway respectively. The two films overlap, as Midway opens with the attack on Pearl Harbor, and both films depict the Doolittle Raid. They also share characters, such as Admiral Yamamoto, Admiral Nimitz and Jimmy Doolittle. On top of these two war films, I placed the Halo Soundtrack, specifically selections from Halo:CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo Reach. The war themed music from this series breathes life into these movies, and bridges the the narratives together.

I chose to remove a lot from Pearl Harbor, especially anything to do with the pilots and nurse characters who are the main focus of the film. What I was left with was the military intelligence and strategy scenes with the fantastic performances of John Voight's Roosevelt, Dan Aykroyd's Captain Thermon and Mako Iwamatsu as Yamamoto, as well as the creme of the action scenes of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid.

3/4 of this movie is made of of Midway scenes, and it holds the dominant narrative, especially at the end of the film, as there are no Pearl Harbor scenes beyond the mid point of the edit. I removed a ot of the awkward dialogue from Midway, and all of Alexander Ludwig's character from the opening battle. I also removed all the training missions and flights, and a lot of other scenes, as they didn't fit in the flow of my edit.

When deciding which song to place where, I often thought of its parallel in the Halo games. For instance, the first song I use is the first song you hear in the Halo 2 campaign, and both are scene of a Leader chastising his military leadership for failure to prepare properly. Then for the build up and attack on Pearl Harbor, I use the score from Halo Reach, as it was the prequel and was a place where the UNSC lost devastatingly, like America did at Pearl. Later, for the dive bomber runs, I use the Warthog Run music, to give you that desperate in-the-driver-seat feeling of racing to the finish, and at the end I used the ending songs of Halo 3, the end of the core story, to give the edit a feeling of closure. The Soundtrack is nearly non-stop, with it carrying forward the narrative through its tone and pace.

Disclaimer: Since this is over 5 hours of movie cut down to one hour, a lot has been cut out, so I tried to make this a list of things I kept, rather than discarded. As a general rule though, I removed the entire original score from Midway and did my best to increase the volume of the used dialogue in Pearl Harbor, removed as many scenes to do with the nurses and main pilots in Pearl Harbor as possible, and cut out any overly melodramatic dialogue throughout the two films. I interweaved the two films wherever possible, and made many tiny cuts for flow and timing of the song I chose to lay overtop.

• Start with Roosevelt talking to generals and song Prologue (Halo 2)
  • Cut to Japanese Admiralty meeting (Pearl Harbor) and beginning of song Winter Contingency (Halo Reach)
  • Cut out dialogue about oil embargo
  • Interweave scenes of Japanese fleet preparation and during Yamamoto’s exposition
  • Cut to Admiral Kimmel discussing Japanese strategy
  • Interweave scenes of Captain Thermon and cut to his exposition of the Japanese fleet intelligence strategy (cutting in the map as well) and interweaving Japanese admirals planning attack b-roll
  • Cut to meeting of Thermon and Admiral Nimitz, discussing the Japanese strategy, interweaving scenes of the Japanese fleet and Yamamoto planning
  • Cut to Japanese fleet the morning of the attack (I cut up a bit of this scene to flow better)
  • Cut in all the scenes of the Japanese squadron approaching and attacking Pearl Harbor and interweave it with the attack in scenes Midway
  • Switch to the main Halo choir theme for the destruction of the Arizona, and interweave the scenes of it’s destruction in both Pearl Harbor and Midway (while also cutting out reaction shots in Pearl Harbor to make it flow better) and continue on to Layton's reaction to it from his car
  • Cut to Dickenson getting shot down (Midway) and switch to song Overture (Halo Reach)
  • Cut back to attack on Pearl Harbor and Doris Miller manning a turret and firing back at Japanese (cut in many spots for flow)
  • Cut to Roosevelt getting news of the attack
  • Cut to sinking of Arizona and Long Night of Solace (Halo Reach)
  • Cut to long series of cuts of the general devastation on the water caused by the attack and Yamamoto being congratulated
  • Cut to Kimmel getting notice of attack too late and Miller recovering the flag of the Arizona and Epilogue (Halo Reach)
  • Cut to Enterprise entering the Harbor and seeing the devastation, and cut the dialogue out (Midway) and back to Long Night of Solace (Halo Reach)
  • Cut to men stuck in Arizona and trying to cut them out only for them to drown (Pearl Harbor) all cut to flow better
  • Cut to funeral scene in Midway
  • Cut to Roosevelt's speech in Pearl Harbor (shortened and cut for flow)
  • Also shortened his meeting with Admirals for flow and so I can set up the Marshall islands battle next instead of going straight to Doolittle Raid
  • Cut to The Last Spartan (Halo 2) and the Marshall Islands battle in Midway (cutting up the battle for flow)
  • During the dive bombers approach, cut to song Tip of the Spear (Halo Reach)
  • Cut to American fleet getting attacked (cut for time and flow)
  • Cut to Roosevelt getting briefed on plan for Doolittle Raid
  • Cut to song Finish the Fight (Halo 3) and the American carrier group preparing to launch the raid (Midway), cut for time and flow and remove Doolittle's underwhelming speech.
  • Cut to Pearl Harbor scenes of the attack on Tokyo, with the emperors reaction cut in from Midway
  • Cut to Roosevelt getting news of the preemptive launch and lack of fuel for Doolittle Raiders (last Pearl Harbor scene)
  • Cut to Doolittle bailing out of his plane (Midway) and song Heavy Price Paid (Halo 2)
  • Cut to Doolittle meeting up with Chinese allies, cutting out scene of them mistrusting him
  • Cut to Japanese bombing raid on their refuge group
  • Cut to loss at Coral Sea with Nimitz and Layton's strategic exposition cut between
  • Cut to This is Our Land (Halo 3) and Nimitz giving medals out on Enterprise with Dick Best giving exposition on the state of the war
  • Cut to repairing of the Yorktown and Admiral Halsey exposition on being tired
  • Cut to Nimitz laying out the American Strategy for Midway battle, interweaved with scene of Midway Island
  • Song changes to Sacred Icon Suite (Halo 2). Cut to Nimitz telling Layton to get some rest (cutting the part about their wives)
  • Cut to McCuskey discussing the tactical situation of the battle with Best
  • Cut to Yorktown catching up
  • Cut to Morning of Midway battle on Midway Island and lace overtop Layton's exposition about the Japanese fleets location
  • Cut to Japanese Air group attacking Midway through to end of Midway Air groups failed attack and No More Dead Heroes (Halo 3)
  • Cut to Japanese discovery of American fleet and Enough Dead Heroes (Halo 3)
  • Cut to American submarine attack on Japanese fleet (cut together when it was separated in film) and end of song Honorable Intentions (Halo 3) when the torpedo is launched from submarine.
  • Cut to Lindsey’s Torpedo Squadron failed attack on the Japanese fleet with This is the Hour (Halo 3)
  • Cut the torpedo missing the Hiyru, then Lindsey's reaction and crash (instead of having him crash and not see that he missed)
  • Cut to dive bombers taking off (cut for flow)
  • Cut to dive bombers looking for Japanese fleet and The Ark (Halo 3)
  • Cut to Submarine shaking off the Japanese destroyer and dive bombers spotting it returning to the fleet
  • Cut to Hornet Torpedo Squadron failed attack on Japanese fleet and Luck (Halo 3)
  • Cut to dive bombers attacking the fleet and Behold a Pale Horse (Halo 3)
  • Cut to Halo (Halo:CE) for Best’s dive bombing of the Akagi (cut out the weird face he make while pulling up)
  • Cut to McCuskey and Bruno being chased by Japanese fighters and continue through Japanese carriers explode and evacuation, switching to part way through from Ghosts of Reach (Halo 2), then to Ending Roll Call (Halo 3)
  • Cut to Best and McCuskey on the Enterprise reporting to Admiral Spruance, switching to song Epilogue (Halo 2)
  • Cut to Best recovering and telling other pilots they have to go back out there (cut dialogue asking about Dickinson)
  • Cut to Best inspiring Murray, switching part way to Finale (Halo 2)
  • Cut to Yamamoto ordering Japanese fleet to attack, through to Admiral Yamaguchi receiving the order
  • Cut to Admiral Yamaguchi making a speech to the remaining pilots
  • Cut to Dive Bombers beginning their attack, through to the destruction of the Hiryu and Best’s wingman crashing on the deck of the enterprise and One Final Effort (Halo 3) (cutting the end of the song a bit for flow and timing)
  • Cut to Dickinson and McCuskey talking about Best and Unforgotten (Halo 2)
  • Cut from Dickinson searching the sky, to crew picking up scrap on the deck, back to Dickinson looking for Best to make it flow all together (originally separated by a scene)
  • Cut up Best getting out of plan to make it faster and cut to Wake Me When You Need Me (Halo 3)
  • Cut to sinking of Hiyru and Admiral and captain staying aboard, cut up partially for time
Clips:

Last edited:

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Midway's visuals are not that amazing (even if the movie itself is better).
Bay's visual style is so distinctive I dont think it will blend too well with Emmerich's movie.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Someone on Reddit is tackling this, it seems: reddit link removed

Also, this thread should be moved to Fanedit Ideas subforum.

Last edited by a moderator:

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds exactly up my ally. I'd love to preview this when you've uploaded it!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So this edit sounds literally tailer made for my son who is a huge history buff, WWII in particular, and is a huge fan of US Naval history as well as Halo and its soundtracks, and that you're including Reach? I told him about this today and he is beyond stoked to see this when it comes out.

Obviously the viewer has to look past the same characters being played by different actors, but small price to pay for this! Cannot wait.

If you need a previewer, let me know.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I've seen two work prints of this and I am happy to say that if you like the premise, it delivers. Murikamir has ironed out most of the technical issues and I really enjoy it.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are these two different edits with the same title by the same editor?

Murikamir

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are these two different edits with the same title by the same editor?
It accidentally got posted twice, one I posted and one was moved from the in-the-works thread, and then it got joined with my general idea thread, now its all a mess.

Last edited:

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't worry about it. One of our illustrious mods will merge the threads. Very interesting concept your edit. Good luck.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Poster looks good but I'd change the font of "The Fall of the Pacific".

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching this. Really don't know what to think. It is everything that you present it to be. The editing is seamless for the most part. It is full throttle from start to finish. Over before I realized that it was going somewhere. I guess it feels like it started in the middle of something larger and ended to soon. Like I was in the battle scenes of the latest version of Battlefield. I will watch it again to see if I missed something. If this is your thing like L8wrtr said, then it rocks!

Murikamir

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Disclaimer: Since this is over 5 hours of movie cut down to one hour, a lot has been cut out, so I tried to make this a list of things I kept, rather than discarded. As a general rule though, I removed the entire original score from Midway and did my best to increase the volume of the used dialogue in Pearl Harbor, removed as many scenes to do with the nurses and main pilots in Pearl Harbor as possible, and cut out any overly melodramatic dialogue throughout the two films. I interweaved the two films wherever possible, and made many tiny cuts for flow and timing of the song I chose to lay overtop.

• Start with Roosevelt talking to generals and song Prologue (Halo 2)
  • Cut to Japanese Admiralty meeting (Pearl Harbor) and beginning of song Winter Contingency (Halo Reach)
  • Cut out dialogue about oil embargo
  • Interweave scenes of Japanese fleet preparation and during Yamamoto’s exposition
  • Cut to Admiral Kimmel discussing Japanese strategy
  • Interweave scenes of Captain Thermon and cut to his exposition of the Japanese fleet intelligence strategy (cutting in the map as well) and interweaving Japanese admirals planning attack b-roll
  • Cut to meeting of Thermon and Admiral Nimitz, discussing the Japanese strategy, interweaving scenes of the Japanese fleet and Yamamoto planning
  • Cut to Japanese fleet the morning of the attack (I cut up a bit of this scene to flow better)
  • Cut in all the scenes of the Japanese squadron approaching and attacking Pearl Harbor and interweave it with the attack in scenes Midway
  • Switch to the main Halo choir theme for the destruction of the Arizona, and interweave the scenes of it’s destruction in both Pearl Harbor and Midway (while also cutting out reaction shots in Pearl Harbor to make it flow better) and continue on to Layton's reaction to it from his car
  • Cut to Dickenson getting shot down (Midway) and switch to song Overture (Halo Reach)
  • Cut back to attack on Pearl Harbor and Doris Miller manning a turret and firing back at Japanese (cut in many spots for flow)
  • Cut to Roosevelt getting news of the attack
  • Cut to sinking of Arizona and Long Night of Solace (Halo Reach)
  • Cut to long series of cuts of the general devastation on the water caused by the attack and Yamamoto being congratulated
  • Cut to Kimmel getting notice of attack too late and Miller recovering the flag of the Arizona and Epilogue (Halo Reach)
  • Cut to Enterprise entering the Harbor and seeing the devastation, and cut the dialogue out (Midway) and back to Long Night of Solace (Halo Reach)
  • Cut to men stuck in Arizona and trying to cut them out only for them to drown (Pearl Harbor) all cut to flow better
  • Cut to funeral scene in Midway
  • Cut to Roosevelt's speech in Pearl Harbor (shortened and cut for flow)
  • Also shortened his meeting with Admirals for flow and so I can set up the Marshall islands battle next instead of going straight to Doolittle Raid
  • Cut to The Last Spartan (Halo 2) and the Marshall Islands battle in Midway (cutting up the battle for flow)
  • During the dive bombers approach, cut to song Tip of the Spear (Halo Reach)
  • Cut to American fleet getting attacked (cut for time and flow)
  • Cut to Roosevelt getting briefed on plan for Doolittle Raid
  • Cut to song Finish the Fight (Halo 3) and the American carrier group preparing to launch the raid (Midway), cut for time and flow and remove Doolittle's underwhelming speech.
  • Cut to Pearl Harbor scenes of the attack on Tokyo, with the emperors reaction cut in from Midway
  • Cut to Roosevelt getting news of the preemptive launch and lack of fuel for Doolittle Raiders (last Pearl Harbor scene)
  • Cut to Doolittle bailing out of his plane (Midway) and song Heavy Price Paid (Halo 2)
  • Cut to Doolittle meeting up with Chinese allies, cutting out scene of them mistrusting him
  • Cut to Japanese bombing raid on their refuge group
  • Cut to loss at Coral Sea with Nimitz and Layton's strategic exposition cut between
  • Cut to This is Our Land (Halo 3) and Nimitz giving medals out on Enterprise with Dick Best giving exposition on the state of the war
  • Cut to repairing of the Yorktown and Admiral Halsey exposition on being tired
  • Cut to Nimitz laying out the American Strategy for Midway battle, interweaved with scene of Midway Island
  • Song changes to Sacred Icon Suite (Halo 2). Cut to Nimitz telling Layton to get some rest (cutting the part about their wives)
  • Cut to McCuskey discussing the tactical situation of the battle with Best
  • Cut to Yorktown catching up
  • Cut to Morning of Midway battle on Midway Island and lace overtop Layton's exposition about the Japanese fleets location
  • Cut to Japanese Air group attacking Midway through to end of Midway Air groups failed attack and No More Dead Heroes (Halo 3)
  • Cut to Japanese discovery of American fleet and Enough Dead Heroes (Halo 3)
  • Cut to American submarine attack on Japanese fleet (cut together when it was separated in film) and end of song Honorable Intentions (Halo 3) when the torpedo is launched from submarine.
  • Cut to Lindsey’s Torpedo Squadron failed attack on the Japanese fleet with This is the Hour (Halo 3)
  • Cut the torpedo missing the Hiyru, then Lindsey's reaction and crash (instead of having him crash and not see that he missed)
  • Cut to dive bombers taking off (cut for flow)
  • Cut to dive bombers looking for Japanese fleet and The Ark (Halo 3)
  • Cut to Submarine shaking off the Japanese destroyer and dive bombers spotting it returning to the fleet
  • Cut to Hornet Torpedo Squadron failed attack on Japanese fleet and Luck (Halo 3)
  • Cut to dive bombers attacking the fleet and Behold a Pale Horse (Halo 3)
  • Cut to Halo (Halo:CE) for Best’s dive bombing of the Akagi (cut out the weird face he make while pulling up)
  • Cut to McCuskey and Bruno being chased by Japanese fighters and continue through Japanese carriers explode and evacuation, switching to part way through from Ghosts of Reach (Halo 2), then to Ending Roll Call (Halo 3)
  • Cut to Best and McCuskey on the Enterprise reporting to Admiral Spruance, switching to song Epilogue (Halo 2)
  • Cut to Best recovering and telling other pilots they have to go back out there (cut dialogue asking about Dickinson)
  • Cut to Best inspiring Murray, switching part way to Finale (Halo 2)
  • Cut to Yamamoto ordering Japanese fleet to attack, through to Admiral Yamaguchi receiving the order
  • Cut to Admiral Yamaguchi making a speech to the remaining pilots
  • Cut to Dive Bombers beginning their attack, through to the destruction of the Hiryu and Best’s wingman crashing on the deck of the enterprise and One Final Effort (Halo 3) (cutting the end of the song a bit for flow and timing)
  • Cut to Dickinson and McCuskey talking about Best and Unforgotten (Halo 2)
  • Cut from Dickinson searching the sky, to crew picking up scrap on the deck, back to Dickinson looking for Best to make it flow all together (originally separated by a scene)
  • Cut up Best getting out of plan to make it faster and cut to Wake Me When You Need Me (Halo 3)
  • Cut to sinking of Hiyru and Admiral and captain staying aboard, cut up partially for time

Last edited:
Top Bottom