• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

THE EXORCIST, 40th anniversary Preservation (the version you haven't seen since 1973)

DarMokChannel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw the original UK release, while on holiday at my brothers in London the night it was first shown here. The press had been talking about it but as there was no social media back then, we didn't have that much information about it. The previous big horror news worthy event had been The Devils (1971) But The Exorcist was something very different and as 3 young men neither of us wanted to show any actual fear. But in the cinema in Leicester Square if I remember correctly, people were dropping like flies. Women and men leaving complaining about how graphic it was and physically frighten by what they were seeing. I myself was in the vernacular (Shitting a Brick), but couldn't admit it to my brothers, otherwise I would never had lived it down. It lived with me for days afterwards, 50 years later I have watched it many times since and introduced it to my kids, who ain't fazed as much as I was. I'd love to see the original version again if it's possible, just to see how it's original presentation made feel this time around. Any information about this would be wonderful, thank you for all of your efforts in creating it for us all again.
All the Best.
DarMok.

recordwrangler95

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anybody looking for the Sapirstein Exorcist in time for Halloween, give me a DM.

phadron

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks so much for your work!

Last edited:

AJB80

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Technically, here in the UK the only way to see this movie until 1999 (or thereabouts) was on bootleg VHS tapes and given the lack of quality I had to wait until it's official release. I currently have the DVD, and the new 'Version You've never seen before''. I understand why the dearly departed Freidkin might have thought releasing that was a good idea, but having just watched the good Dr's preservation version, its starkness, and the only fleeting demon face glimpses, and original demonic voice, I must say this is my favourite version. Thank you for all the hard work you put in Dr.Sapirstein.

Top Bottom