• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

THE EXORCIST, 40th anniversary Preservation (the version you haven't seen since 1973)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I don't know if they're going to be doing anything to the movies, both cuts will be included, but the only new extras will be two featurettes. Pretty sure they're porting over all the extras from the previous "book" edition of the Blu-Ray though.

BTW, welcome to the community Goremeister! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
goremeister said:
Hey everyone. I'm new here and there's a discussion about this edit on avmaniacs.com since there was talk about the new blu-ray being released in October. DS, where did you get your inspiration to create this edit? Is there a website that discusses what this was supposed to look like in 73? I posted your comparison picks and I get comments like the one below:

I'm sorry to say that my heart tells me that I should agree with all of the above. I just can't believe that the film was green tinted like that. Friedkin shot in a very documentary style back then so deliberately adding a green hue, like Gordon Willis did with The Godfather utislising the yellow spectrum, seems wrong to me. He didn't shoot films like that. Only in his revisionist phase did he digitally time things to look more modern.

goremeister

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks man. I'm just searching the net looking for info about the "green tint" that the film was supposed to of had when it came out in 73 but I can't find any info about it. Funny that there's no discussion on imdb about this. DS mentions people being really disappointed with the blu-ray release but I don't remember any negative reviews and I thought the film looked great but maybe I'm not as picky as others. If anyone can post any links that would include info about the geen tint, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to hear from DS himself who I hope can supply additional information as to what inspired him to create this.

WrathofLucas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I'll stick with my 1997 DVD. Shame the image is slightly zoomed in as comparison shots suggest.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd watched The Exorcist twice before; the first time was probably late night on the UK Channel 4 when I was in my teens and the second was when I bought the Blu-Ray. Both times it did nothing for me. But with a film as admired as this I was keen to keep giving it a go so I watched your excellent looking restoration.

(I watched it with the original mono mix fed through my 5.1 setup). It totally blew me away. The colours of the film look richer and deeper yet more subtle than the official release and the sound design is spectacular. Every little sound builds the suspense in the mix to chill and unnerve you. The opening Iraq sequence previously struck me as a pointless waste of time before the film proper but in this version it scared the hell out of me. Mysterious, exotic and powerful. Finally I can see what all the critics have been saying about this film, it's a masterpiece.

Thank you Dr, Sapirstein.

p.s. Any chance of doing a similar restoration of Friedkin's 'The French Connection'. If you own the 2009 "Director approved RESTORATION" you know why. One of the worst looking Blu-Rays I own, can't bare to watch it. The 2012 Blu-Ray looks alot better but I have to wonder if even that looks like it should?

grabaham

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So there will never be a 1080p? Never ever? It would be perfect. The final touch.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
grabaham said:
So there will never be a 1080p? Never ever?

lol, you sound like my five-year-old.

grabaham

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Believe it or not, sounding like a five year old doesn't always get you what you want, but if you try, sometimes you might find you get what you need.

WrathofLucas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would still really like to know the source of the mono version. That has not been available on any DVD or BD release.

Marshman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this version recently and can recommend it. How authentic and accurate a reconstruction it is I can't definitively say, but it felt like what I saw in the cinema many years ago. In my memory the film looked a touch green, as if it was ill and a bit off-colour. :lol:

The one thing I didn't like was the editor credit on the movie title card. That was too intrusive IMO.

An upgrade to 1080 would be welcomed by me because this edit is worth watching again.

Attackosaur

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This preservation blew my mind when I heard about it. I love the film, but it just never really occurred to me that it was a film that required preserving. I guess because I'd never seen the original "original" version. I'm hoping to do a big research project on the film's release in 74 in the UK, so being able to see the film like this, how it originally played, is awesome. Great work, man.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If this isn't the biggest news in The Exorcist world I don't know what is.

159491_slip.jpg

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=7650&page=6&highlight=exorcist

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Attackosaur

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apologies for piggybacking on a now very old thread, but I remembered there was a lot of great talk in here about the various versions of The Exorcist, so I wanted to hop in and quickly badger you all with something I'm working on as you folks sound like you know your stuff! Hope you don't mind!

Basically, I'm working on a PhD project which is entirely about The Exorcist, specifically the audiences of the film over the years. There's a lot of writing about the film from the production point of view, but its audiences tend to be dismissed with a few lines about the scare stories back when it was first released. The idea is to create a new kind of history of the film, based on the experiences of its audiences. With the film being one of the big audience stories in cinema history, I think it's a shame it's never been approached from this angle. So, that's what I'm doing anyway! 

I've popped a very short survey online as I'm looking to hear people's stories about their experiences watching the film, both for the first time and in the years since. Doesn't matter where or when you watched it as the project is very much about the life of the film from its release until the present day. The project is focused on the UK, but I'd love to hear from people from the US and elsewhere too. If you're interested in the project, there's a bit more info at theexorcistproject.com and I'm on Twitter as @exorcistproject. 

Here's the survey: https://goo.gl/forms/zV25VCGGwMHhSF232

Hope you find it interesting! Cheers.

metahades

Reaction score
Trophy Points
fantástico, es un material que queda para toda la historia, muchas felicidades.

Top Bottom