• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

THE EXORCIST, 40th anniversary Preservation (the version you haven't seen since 1973)

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
exorcistsquare1.png

[FONT=&amp]THE EXORCIST : 40th ANNIVERSARY PRESERVATION [720p - DTS][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]THE ORIGINAL VERSION YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SINCE 1973[/FONT]
Horror / Drama | 1973 | USA
Directed by William Friedkin
Starring Ellen Burstyn, Jason Miller, Linda Blair, Max Von Sydow.

A 40th anniversary restoration of the ultimate horror classic, presenting the film in its original version as seen at the time of its 1973 release and... never since.

[FONT=&amp]NB - this edit is a restoration of the original theatrical release of The Exorcist. The abominable 2000 extended cut - aka ‘The Version You’ve Never Seen’ - is not referenced at all. If you hope to find the infamous spider-walk or demonic CGI inserts, you’ll be disappointed.

At the time of its initial release, The Exorcist had a very distinct visual and sonic aesthetic. The colours were muted and the dominant tint was green. It was visually dark. The blaring mono sound mix was revolutionary at the time and won the Academy Award for best sound. But this original theatre version has never been released on DVD or BluRay, despite the plethora of Exorcist releases made available in recent years.

Having made over $100 million in its original run, The Exorcist was re-released in 1979 as a blown-up 70mm revised print. This version had a much brighter, up-to-date and colourful picture with heavy colour alterations/saturations, contrasts and so on. The dominant green tint was gone. It also used a different sound mix - this time Dolby Stereo. This is the version that was used to create the Telecinema that would be used for every home release (VHS, LD, DVD) up until the year 2000. Most of these releases were presented in 1:33 pan & scan, but even the few letterboxed 1.85 editions were slightly zoomed-in. A few seconds of footage were also missing during the bed-shaking scene. But the worst was yet to come...

2010 saw the release of the BluRay / DVD 2-disc set of the ‘Version You’ve Never Seen’. The second disc was supposed to feature a remastered version of the original theatrical release. No such luck. This ‘original’ version was given a strong blue tint more reminiscent of ‘Avatar’ than the dark 70s horror atmosphere it merited. This version also included a few novelties (as seen in the 'Version You've Never Seen'), such as a CGI morph on Karras’ face during his possession, instead of the original jump-cut. The ‘original mono mix’ included on top of the newly mixed 5.1 soundtrack was also heavily modified and, it transpired, was actually a 2-channels recomposition of the 1979 Dolby mix. Overall, the release was a bit of a mess and particularly disappointing in light of the obvious time and effort that had been expended on the BR / DVD release. The audience response was unequivocal and almost unanimous - extreme disappointment.[/FONT]

CUTS.jpg

[FONT=&amp]NOTES ABOUT THIS PRESERVATION[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Many sources were used to determine how the film looked and sounded in 1973. Once the aesthetic of each individual scene had been determined, the 1080p BluRay edition was used as a basis (with, occasionally, the odd SD shot inserted from the '97 DVD) and completely reworked (colours, tints, definition, grain and contrasts/lightness) to obtain a faithful recreation of the original theatrical release, as it looked before the powers that be decided to give it the George Lucas treatment. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
Restored picture : The whole film has been modified shot by shot to recreate its original definition, green hue and overall aesthetic.
Restored shot : Original Warner Bros 1970s logo (intro + outro).
Restored shot : The intro shot of the sun in Iraq has been restored in full colour.
Restored shot : The infamous, non-CGI jump-cut of Father Karras' possession has been cleaned and restored.
Restored audio : The original, Academy Award winning mono soundtrack has been restored (track 1). The original 1979 Dolby remix is featured on track 2, and a new DTS 5.1 mix, created from both the '73 mono mix and the 2010 remaster, is featured on track 3. The original French dub from 1973 (mono) is also available on track 4.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT] [FONT=&amp] SOURCES USED[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]For setting the look of this release :
* the 1997 DVD (USA).
* the 1982 VHS release (UK, PAL).
* the 1987 VHS release (USA, NTSC).
* a VHS recording of the film from TV (1986).
* the Japanese NTSC laserdic (1998).
* the official 8mm digest (1978).
* short bits from a 1973 damaged 35mm print.
* various photos and 35mm slides.
Elements used in the actual edit :
* the 2010 BluRay edition (disc 2, "original cut" remastered).[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]* the 1997 DVD (USA) (original cut).
* the 1982 VHS release (UK, PAL) (original cut).[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]* the film soundtrack on CD (Japan).[/FONT]

artworks.png

[FONT=&amp]
720p ENCODE
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]THE.EXORCIST.40th.Anniversary.Preservation.[1973.2013].h264-720p.DTS.[Dr.Sapirstein].mkv[/FONT] [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Video : h264 | .mkv | 720p | 1280x720 | 23.976fps | 4.000 kb/s
Audio 1 :
English 1.0 | AC3 | 224 kb/s | original mono mix restored [1973]
Audio 2 :
English 2.0 | AC3 | 448 kb/s | dolby stereo mix [1979 re-release]
Audio 3 :
English 5.1 | DTS lossless | 1.536 mb/s | new dts 5.1 mix [2013]
Audio 4 :
French 1.0 | AC3 | 224 kb/s | original French dub [1973][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Runtime : 02:02:43
Size : 5.7 gb
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Status : available[/FONT]

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesomeness! Did you also recreate the original hard cut of Demon-face-Karras-to-normal-Karras in the climax scene, as opposed to the morphing version we've been seeing ever since the movie was put on DVD?

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
Awesomeness! Did you also recreate the original hard cut of Demon-face-Karras-to-normal-Karras in the climax scene, as opposed to the morphing version we've been seeing ever since the movie was put on DVD?

Absolutely, gone, that goddamm CGI morph can go to hell with Karras' mother! I restored and cleaned the original jump-cut. Everything that's not from the 1973 version is no more (well except for the name of Mercedes McCambridge in the end credits; it didn't appear in the 1973 version and was only added much later, but erasing it wouldn't have been right, this lady's vocal work as "possessed Regan" deserves too much praise to be deleted in order to fit a preservation, imho)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dr.sapirstein said:
Absolutely, gone, that goddamm CGI morph can go to hell with Karras' mother! I restored and cleaned the original jump-cut. Everything that's not from the 1973 version is no more (well except for the name of Mercedes McCambridge in the end credits; it didn't appear in the 1973 version and was only added much later, but erasing it wouldn't have been right, this lady's vocal work as "possessed Regan" deserves too much praise to be deleted in order to fit a preservation, imho)

In that case, you just made this purist's default version of the film! :)

Too bad I didn't know about it when it was in the works. I see you added the original French dubbing. I could have sent you the original Spanish dub for you to include too.

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
In that case, you just made this purist's default version of the film! :)
Too bad I didn't know about it when it was in the works. I see you added the original French dubbing. I could have sent you the original Spanish dub for you to include too.

Hey that would be great - it's not too late, I can synch it and mux it with the rest easily!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dr.sapirstein said:
Hey that would be great - it's not too late, I can synch it and mux it with the rest easily!

Niceness! It's from a PAL DVD, though, so would you like me to convert it to NTSC lenght or will you do it yourself?

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't bother mate, not a problem, I can correct the speed while synching it, thanks

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic, both the original work and Dwight chipping in :)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I realized that I talked too soon, as my Exorcist DVD, along with a significant part of my collection, is at my other home right now and so I won't have access to it for a while. So please go ahead and release what you have, I don't want to delay it as I can easily mux it myself later if I want (or make it available for people to mux if there's any interest at all).

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another awesome preservation from the good Doctor... can not wait!

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope this one won't cause too much arguments - it's already being argued and disagreed about among the 3 people I've shown it to. And things got heated. :blah:
Names were called.
Anyway, I'm releasing this next week.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dr.sapirstein said:
I hope this one won't cause too much arguments - it's already being argued and disagreed about among the 3 people I've shown it to. And things got heated. :blah:
Names were called.

How can that be? I can understand that about a true fanedit because it's all about personal choices, but a preservation?

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
How can that be? I can understand that about a true fanedit because it's all about personal choices, but a preservation?

Ah, we disagreed on what's to be preserved ;-)
The cons, so far, have been "why is the image so green at times, it's supposed to be blue!" (No-it-isn't!).
I decided to only answer the "where's the spider-walk scene?" question with a look of disdain.

Ps - no worries about the Spanish track, we'll add it later if you have time to rip it, no problem.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dr.sapirstein said:
the "where's the spider-walk scene?" question

1314029819767.png

Hope no one asked "why did you delete the demon faces from the walls?"...

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
Hope no one asked "why did you delete the demon faces from the walls?"...

Ah ah, fortunately they'd forgotten about these horrible inserts.
Come to think of it, that was fucking inexcusable.
1200_exorcist_dc_blu-ray_2dc.jpg

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen anything past the dvd version, and don't remember that extra demon face for that scene. I do remember them adding it to the window shot with the smoke when the demon switches places at the end. Geez, seeing it there now makes me wonder why they didn't just have the face pop up every 2 minutes in the bottom corner of the screen. Or have it added subtly and have the home viewers play games to see who saw it the most and whoever does wins!!!

As if seeing it once AND ONLY ONCE in the original version wasn't scary enough!! 40 years later and people still say it's the scariest moment in the film, and it's like 1 second long!!

Top Bottom