• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Downloading, Unpacking, and Watching Fanedits Assistance Thread

Thatstinkyguy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
Thatstinkyguy said:
Does anyone have the password for the RARs of this edit from downloading it through the .info DLC file?

Maybe "fanedit.info" or "fanedit.com" or with capitalized letters? Or "password"? Oh, and let us not forget the gospel of Hackers (1995):
I'm afraid none of these or variations work either. Thank you for the suggestions (and the movie clip).

- Thatstinkyguy

chrisbo347

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, all--I'm embarrassed to say I am new to this and no previous post has solved an issue I am having.
I get the link and extract using winrar. That gets me a an mkv or dlc file that I then download using Jdownloader...

But then I usually have a giant batch of rar files (video files, audio files, etc) that I do not know what to do with. I can't get them to form a cohesive whole, or open them as one film file. Is this done in Jdownloader? Do I have to put these in winrar or 7zip after the download? do i have to get a transcoder?

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm for sure no expert, but this sounds like it might be an issue with how you have J-downloader set up. It took me a while to figure out my settings there, but I have it to now where any links I add automatically start downloading. When they finish, they're set to automatically unzip and open in a container folder.

Before that, when I did it manually, I would have a bunch of separate rar files like what you're talking about, and have to highlight them all and use winrar to extract and create a folder. Assuming no pieces are missing and everything downloaded correctly, those are still good, but it is reassuring to see the final mp4 or mkv file with the movie's name already waiting for you when you check back on Jdownloader. So maybe try changing your settings to achieve that.

rylandm20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello, just tried downloading The Return of the Shadow (Book 1) from this google drive.

<link removed>

I downloaded it, and the only files within are two VOB files that are both audio files. So, how am I meant to download these films? Just need help with navigating google drive directly, feel like I did something wrong, dont use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello, just tried downloading The Return of the Shadow (Book 1) from this google drive.

<link removed>

I downloaded it, and the only files within are two VOB files that are both audio files. So, how am I meant to download these films? Just need help with navigating google drive directly, feel like I did something wrong, dont use it.
Please review our rules. We don’t allow links in the forum and have removed it.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

VOB is a DVD file. It's possible what you've downloaded is meant to be burned to disc, but you would also be able to play it with something like VLC player. If you try to open it in a media player that doesn't understand what it is, it might just play audio and nothing else. I've had that before.

rylandm20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
VOB is a DVD file. It's possible what you've downloaded is meant to be burned to disc, but you would also be able to play it with something like VLC player. If you try to open it in a media player that doesn't understand what it is, it might just play audio and nothing else. I've had that before.
Ok well ive got that all working, they still seem to be missing content? Ive got most parts of the 6 books but some of them are just missing parts (each book has been disected into 3-4 17~ min parts) - their just entirely missing from the zip of each book

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ I'm not familiar with the edit so I can't advise further, sorry. You're better off contacting the editor directly if possible.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those downloading zip files from Mega or other sites with free accounts, do NOT download them all at once. A lot of these sites don't appreciate it and will crash. Download 2 files at a time.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Same goes for large single files in my experience, another case where JDownloader is very useful.
Yeah it's why i make all my edits into smaller zips after a lot of people had difficulty downloading my edits. I can understand people don't like to have to resort to Jdownloader. I personally find Jdownloader to not be the most accessible software.

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah it's why i make all my edits into smaller zips after a lot of people had difficulty downloading my edits. I can understand people don't like to have to resort to Jdownloader. I personally find Jdownloader to not be the most accessible software.
Never found it too tricky, normally just a case of copying and pasting links, and making sure the speed restriction is disabled!

jobj

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this question pop up in this thread, what to do with physical media container formats?

When the source (downloaded edit) is in a DVD or Blu-ray format, ISO, VOB, etc... I typically run it through handbrake.
It is not too hard to config (loads of presets)
converting to mvk and using x254
The resulting file is easier to use with end-to-end "virtual" playback like from your HD with VLC or in my case plex server/frontend on a smart TV.
I know it is nice, burning it to a DVD/Blueray, printing the cover and sticking it in a case to display on your shelf, but sometimes end to end virtual is more practical.

very new to this so if I am swearing or breaking some rule I don't know of, let me know
My 2 cents
Jobj

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ it's important to bear in mind that if you put it through handbrake there will be quality loss, and if your settings are awry it can have other negative visual effects and even affect a/v syncing (also important to consider if leaving a review of the edit). VLC player is free on both Mac and PC and will play most files. Blu-ray folders are a bit more complicated to get VLC to play, but I don't think I've ever come across an edit that offered that format without also offering something more accessible.

jobj

Reaction score
Trophy Points
what tools/workflow would you use for that?
Are ether existing tutorials on that om fanedit.org?

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would probably use avidemux to do that.
open the file in avidemux, wait for it to finish analysing, select 'copy' for audio and video, select mp4 as the 'output format' and then click save and choose the file name and location.

image.png

Top Bottom