• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Downloading, Unpacking, and Watching Fanedits Assistance Thread

Kaweebo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
From what I understand, it's meant to be burned. (The zip file at the end has both audio and video_tss folders) I'm not an expert in that area, anyway, (I've only done it once) but I'm not sure it should be that large. Honestly, that's not even the format I wanted, anyway. I wanted an avi or something similar, but I'll make do if I have to. He's said he's been a bit paranoid since some incident where he thought someone watched without owning the source, so I don't want to make it any harder on the guy.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it's meant to be burned, and it's over 4 GB but less than 8 GB (round numbers), then it's a DVD9 (a dual-layer disc).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Set jdown options for zip to unpack itself. Will give you a .rar file to extract. May have to redownload.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just catching up with this thread if it's any help i use winzip to pack/unpack my edits. i'll re-read these posts later on when i get back from work

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From what I understand, it's meant to be burned. (The zip file at the end has both audio and video_tss folders) I'm not an expert in that area, anyway, (I've only done it once) but I'm not sure it should be that large. Honestly, that's not even the format I wanted, anyway. I wanted an avi or something similar, but I'll make do if I have to. He's said he's been a bit paranoid since some incident where he thought someone watched without owning the source, so I don't want to make it any harder on the guy.

ok the files i sent are of a dvd copy of the edit, i don't compress my edits to fit a 4.7gb dvd so the size of this is correct given that it has a feature film along with a 30 min plus short. if you wanted a avi version then i would have done one on request. without taking offence kaweebo you only asked for the links i'm none the wiser when it comes to what you know/don't know.

He said himself that he wasn't very knowledgeable on the technical know-how of how to do things, which is a bit strange given this was the means by which he had me do this, but that's why he sent me here because I'm not even sure what I'm doing, either.

to be honest i don't have the patience to guide people step by step without being there to help, all i know is how i download fanedits works for me. i sent you to this thread because beyond what i told you what i do there is nothing more i can add. plus i learned everything i know from reading this and other threads on the site

If I continue with the download, I'll have several different .z files that I'll have no idea what to do with. I've seen the option to convert them to dlcs when right-clicking the entire folder, which I'm more familiar with, but I'm completely stumped on what the right course of action is. I probably look like some sort of idiot, but I'm seriously confused. (And no, Google isn't helping me at all)

have you downloaded this edit? my mediafire account shows it's being downloaded though i have sent the links to another faneditor. like i said i use winzip to pack/unpack my edits and of an edit of this size you'll generally have 50 plus files to download. even it i did a avi version you still would have had between 10 to 20 files to download. my not 100% but i always assumed winzip, winrar and zip7 were all universal i'm sure someone on here will prove me wrong :p

keep me posted kaweebo

Brass Alchemist

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have recently downloaded the dlc for Matrix Reimagined. I opened in jdownloader, all the files finished downloading but when I went to my folder to upack them, it asked for a password. When I entered it, it did not work. So i tried to re-download everything, and I noticed that when downloading in jdownloader it also has a spot to enter the password which I did not fill in the first time. Is this why I can't unpack them? Also, when I try redownloading, it says that I have already downloaded the files and next to each download link it just says "temporarily unavailable wait...) and in the status bar it shows 97.66mb/97.66mb.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You sure it's the correct password? Send a pm to newspock to verify. and you'll need to move the first set of files to a different folder if you want to redownload.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to watch Harmy's OT AVCHD using a Mac and VLC. It's freezing up quite a bit. I've never encountered this before and I've watched other AVCHDs using this exact setup. Could the file be corrupted or might there be another solution? Thanks.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How do I burn the fanedit "EXORCIST II : THE HERETIC Special Edition Blu-Ray" on Bluray?

I have a 50GB bluray disc. It says the disc is 46,1gb and the download is 49,6gb. I don't know if I should remove some folders (I have included both BDMV and CERTIFICATE folder).

SmellySkunk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all,
I'm new to the site and trying to view some of the FanEdits.
Not sure if it's just me, but all that I have tried to aquire seem to have missing parts or are offline.
It would be great if the Editors could ensure that their work is 100% available, wouldn't Usenet be a better hosting alternative to RapidShare or Mega? It seems a shame to go through all the hard work to create the edits for them not to be available for others to view and appreciate.

Anyway, from the reviews they sound great, so I'll keep on trying to get copies of Oblivion Redeemed, Thor TDW Hard Forged and more as they sound excellent.

Keep up the good work guys ^_^

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my experience with mega:
when not signed in, i often get stalled DLs.
when i am signed in, everything runs smoovely.

your kilometerage may vary.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I solved this problem myself.
Posting this nevertheless in case I erred and someone tells me, "Silly youngling."

Got a mkv file that was 11.1 GB. Wanted to burn, so reduced (Handbrake) to 8.2 GB.
Only ImgBurn would not burn. In fact nothing would. Deleted that 8.2 (mistake).
Tried using ConvertXToDVD with the original 11.1. Three tries, three fails.
Then realized -- aarrgghh -- there were no chapters (ala David Lynch or Lovesexy).
Was that it?
Put chapters in using MKV Chapterizer, and am now resizing in Handbrake again.
Grumble rumble crumble mumble mumble mumble.

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Feel free to post your questions here. However, please read the FAQ first.

Hi
I was looking for a place to post some useful information, I guess this is the nearest place.
I dont like Jdonloader, it highjacks your browser and installs potentially spyware, I looked for alternatives, the best that I found is free rapid downloader http://wordrider.net/freerapid/index.html
It is freeware, stand alone (zip, no install) easy to use, supports most hosters and containers, frequently updated and well supported.
There are other alternatives but I am still testing them, will post results if I find something good.
I hope this useful to someone
Cheers

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have never had those problems with jdownloader, but make sure you're using jdownloader 2. The original isn't supported anymore.

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I have never had those problems with jdownloader, but make sure you're using jdownloader 2. The original isn't supported anymore.

The web installer will install "SweetIM", "Babylon Adware", "Delta-Search Toolbar" among others.
Even if you choose custom install and decline the additional installations SweetIM is still installed.
This has been reported on many sites including jdownloader board.
http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=54725
http://board.jdownloader.net/showthread.php?t=44832
http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=43666
http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=44832&page=12

It is now being flagged by most anti-malware and spyware at least as a PUP.

Also see:

http://www.herdprotect.com/jdownloa...8a638f9d9d32e5c3ef02897e330b377186623c91.aspx

http://www.herdprotect.com/jdownloadersetup_ch1.exe-15847a03c6d04f37687b96c975eab2a197078372.aspx

http://www.herdprotect.com/jdownloadersetup.exe-d3d856dfc063560b19de15fdcf7d0f7ad16c586d.aspx

http://www.herdprotect.com/jdownloader2update.exe-e26e3482c4ee0c132e79eb335094ae1a50f2f1a0.aspx

Anyway, it is useful to know that there is an alternative for those who want it. Maybe you can give it a try for yourself.
Cheers

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*checks installed programs*

*sees none of those*

*shrugs*

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's probably because you downloaded it a long time ago? Nowadays, they bundle more and more crap, including what can only be labelled as spyware.

Btw, PyLoad has been my goto alternative to JDownloader for more than a year now. It doesn't handle all the sites JD handles, but it's close. Also, PyLoad is open source (written in Python), spyware-free and comes with a cool server-friendly web interface.

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Btw, PyLoad has been my goto alternative to JDownloader for more than a year now. It doesn't handle all the sites JD handles, but it's close. Also, PyLoad is open source (written in Python), spyware-free and comes with a cool server-friendly web interface.

I tried both, FRD handles more sites and supports more container. It is also open source, spyware and malware free and a very nice interface.
Give it a try and let me know what you think
Cheers

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe if I'm stuck on a specific download I'll try, but I have a headless Linux box, and the fact that pyLoad can be controlled through a webinterface or an Android app makes it a lot more convenient for me than a graphical Java interface I can't even run except maybe through remote desktop. I don't want to leave my laptop on for days unless I really have to.

But thanks a lot for the tip, all the same! It's always good to have alternatives, especially to a spyware-bundling closed source application like JD.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have jDownloader, but my go-to remains MiPony.
Loads quicker than jD, otherwise the similar, but will get the files.
Does not support CBH Captcha Solver if you use that.
I suspect there will be crap add-ons during install, that's just the way of the world now.
Be vigilant and check the mirror if you let junk into your board.

Top Bottom