• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Downloading, Unpacking, and Watching Fanedits Assistance Thread

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Here's a suggestion. Use http://dcrypt.it/ to extract the links from the DLC. Forget JDownloader. Use Google Chrome to download the files manually. If you're talking about Mega, definitely use Chrome, works well.

Question for the MEGA man. Is there no auto-solution for MEGA? I hate having to do the one-at-a-time method of the dark times (pre-jdownloader).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does JDownloader and MEGA not work well for you? You could try and see if Mipony works with MEGA, [MENTION=5948]Frantic Canadian[/MENTION] may know.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't a problem using jdownloader with MEGA... Maybe it needs an update, or there are terms and conditions to agree to?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got a plugin out of date error, but jdown is updated.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got MiPony on my desktop but I think it's nearing its last legs so I'm mainly using my laptop now and I've got jDownloader running on it. I hadn't updated it in quite a while so when I tried to add the links for Pulp Empire it didn't recognize them. Once I updated though it recognized the links right away and downloaded no problem. When was the last time you updated Frink?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
jdown is updated.

Incidentally, it's Pulp Empire I'm trying to download as well.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That is strange. I just checked and I updated jDownloader on May 6th so it should definitely be working for you now. Which format are you trying to download? I just tried downloading it again, just to see if it would work or if it would give me the same message you got, but apparently the links for the DVD5 are all dead now. Why don't you send me the links that you're trying to grab so I can test them out and see if I get the same message.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's the mkv. Send me a reminder PM or I'll forget.

Kaweebo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, I'm fairly new here and most of my experience with downloading fanedits have been through means other than JDownloader (Because good god this whole process confuses me) but it's my last resort, now.

I've gotten into contact with leeroy for his revised versions of the X-Men Continuity Cut (I recognize that Neglify gave me a link to the torrent file he owned, but it's apparently outdated now according to the editor himself. Plus, it stopped downloading for me after a while, anyway.) and he sent me the links to each part on Mediafire and has told me to simply cut and paste each link into JDownloader for each part. Got that down pat. The problem now is...where do I go from here? The several parts of the edit are all .z files, which I've never heard of before.

If I continue with the download, I'll have several different .z files that I'll have no idea what to do with. I've seen the option to convert them to dlcs when right-clicking the entire folder, which I'm more familiar with, but I'm completely stumped on what the right course of action is. I probably look like some sort of idiot, but I'm seriously confused. (And no, Google isn't helping me at all)

Kaweebo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It doesn't work with it, I've tried. I get an error message telling me it won't open as an archive file. Just to clarify, these aren't zip or rar files or anything remotely like it. They literally just say z and add a number afterward ranging from 01 to 68. I'm fairly certain this is a standard part of the procedure, I'm just not entirely sure what to do next.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you contact the editor again to ask how to open his files?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sure sounds like 7zip to me. Did you try to open the 1st file in the archive with 7zip? i.e. the one that is named blah blah.7z001

Kaweebo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
He recommended me to this thread. All he told me to do was paste the link into JDownloader and then download all the files to my computer. After that, though, I'm stumped. I'll have 6 gigs worth of several parts of what's supposed to culminate into one video. He said himself that he wasn't very knowledgeable on the technical know-how of how to do things, which is a bit strange given this was the means by which he had me do this, but that's why he sent me here because I'm not even sure what I'm doing, either.

EDIT: It's not 7z, it just says z by itself. And I did try to open the first file just to see and it gave me the error message I mentioned.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you specifically ask him how to unzip the files or just how to download? I can't believe he would zip something up without knowing how to unzip it.

Kaweebo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not specifically, no, so it may be a communications error. My latest message to him was essentially that same question, though, but he hasn't responded back. I'd be as surprised as you if he sent me something he didn't know how to open. I was hoping someone here would have a better explanation for me as he's been slightly vague about what the correct procedure is. (Again, probably because he's not a genius in that area, either)

I'm just not sure how necessary it is to download six gigs of something that essentially boils down to something that I'm assuming won't be six gigs in the end result.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a pretty good chance the end result will be 6 gb as well. Not sure what the format of the edit is, but that's not an unheard of size by any means.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, paging [MENTION=9491]leeroy[/MENTION] to the thread.

Top Bottom