• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Downloading, Unpacking, and Watching Fanedits Assistance Thread

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Moved again. :D

touche_kid.png

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, so it's taken me 18 excruciating hours to download the files, but I got them - I think.

I got the "JDownloader Link Container" for Fifth Element from .info, and then I put that into JDownloader, which gave me the .rar files, and then I clicked "Play" and everything downloaded (very slowly, but it downloaded).

And now I go into my folder . . . and there's nothing but the .rar files in it.

Shouldn't there be VTS's or some other playable files in that folder now?

I'm so confused. I've done five or six downloads lately, so I thought I had really gotten the hang of this. But now I feel like it's my first time all over again. I'm just staring at this thing, utterly baffled.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you need to extract the rar files... If you have winrar installed, open the first rar file and extract to the folder.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
P.S. Here's a screenshot of what JDownloader currently looks like, having seemingly finished its job:

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/tomh1138/?action=view&current=JDownloader_finished_051612.jpg

Now here's a screenshot of the folder where I put the "unpacked" files (C:/Program Files/JDownloader/Downloads, naturally). If I recall how it worked before, the video files should be in here with the .rar's, but all I see are the .rar's.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/tomh1138/?action=view&current=Downloads_Folder_051612.jpg

Am I just really tired and missing something obvious? (I never did catch up on my sleep last night.) Or is there a bigger problem here?

ghouldetail

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I find sometimes JD doesn't auto extract if I don't download the files all in one batch. If you've got all the .rars Tom you can do that easily enough manually how ThrowngCpr said - right click and extract to here. Once it's extracted you'll have either a folder with the video and audio files in it or an .ISO file.
There don't look to be any problems to me in the screenshots, it just hasn't self extracted after downloading. Is that ticked in the settings?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For some reason, JD doesn't always extract, even if the option is enabled.
Just unrar manually and you're still good to go. Nothing wrong here.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
P.S. Here's a screenshot of what JDownloader currently looks like, having seemingly finished its job:

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/tomh1138/?action=view&current=JDownloader_finished_051612.jpg

Now here's a screenshot of the folder where I put the "unpacked" files (C:/Program Files/JDownloader/Downloads, naturally). If I recall how it worked before, the video files should be in here with the .rar's, but all I see are the .rar's.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/tomh1138/?action=view&current=Downloads_Folder_051612.jpg

Am I just really tired and missing something obvious? (I never did catch up on my sleep last night.) Or is there a bigger problem here?

Did I stutter??

ThrowgnCpr said:
you need to extract the rar files... If you have winrar installed, open the first rar file and extract to the folder.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Did I stutter??

Did I see your post??

No, in fact, I didn't. :p LOL! ;-)

After I made the first post, I decided to upload the screenshots and kept this window open. Apparently, no replies are visible when a person does that. And it just took me a minute to upload, so I wasn't expecting any replies.

At any rate, I do have Winrar, and that's actually the first thing I did. I just forgot to mention that part.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, Kal and Ghoul. I went back to the folder to see if maybe the .rars needed to be extracted again (or maybe if it didn't take the first time, although it was the first thing I did).

Here's what I get when I click on the .rar and select "Extract to here":

"The archive is either in unknown format or damaged."

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
OK, Kal and Ghoul. I went back to the folder to see if maybe the .rars needed to be extracted again (or maybe if it didn't take the first time, although it was the first thing I did).

Here's what I get when I click on the .rar and select "Extract to here":

"The archive is either in unknown format or damaged."

One of your files is potentially bad. There was an MD5 checksum file included with the download. Use it. Install something like hkSFV, and check the downloads with the file. It will tell you which file, if any are bad, so you don't have to download the lot.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All righty. I downloaded a program to open that MD5. I opened it. The program checked all of the files. Only the first one (ironically) is damaged.

(Usually, I check multiple files just in case, but it never makes any difference. Of course, the one time I don't . . . )

Before re-downloading the first .rar, I decide to try to extract the second .rar, since I know that the file is fine. I click on "Extract Here." I type in Voodl's password and . . . Hooray! WinRAR pops back up again:

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/tomh1138/?action=view&current=Voodlfolders.jpg

And when I click on the folders, I can see the VTS files inside. Double hooray! (Or so it seems.)

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/tomh1138/?action=view&current=VTS.jpg

I right-click on the files to see what I should do next. The option that looks accurate is "Extract to the specified folder." So I click on that and I get . . .

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/tomh1138/?action=view&current=NoFilestoExtract.jpg

. . . ? "No files to extract"?

Maybe I'm not supposed to do it from inside the folder. Maybe I have to do it from the view with all the folders.

OK, I go back there, click "Extract" and . . .

"Error: No files to extract."

OK, I guess I'm getting "No files to extract" because it recognizes the folders and VTS's as being unzipped already! Great! Let me go back to VLC Media Player . . . and I get the exact same results as before - just the .rar files:

That sound you hear is me banging my head against the desk.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You have to have all the files undamaged to extract.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
all the rar files are linked. They all have to be there in the same folder (and not be corrupt). When you start extracting from the first file, WinRar will link them all together during the download. They all contain pieces of the DVD structure, but can't be extracted individually. THis is a way to take one big file and separate it into a bunch of little chunks for easier upload/download.

So, get a working part1, and extract that.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah. Once again, you all are the masters. I am a grateful padawan. :)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
OK, so it's taken me 18 excruciating hours to download the files, but I got them - I think.

18 hours = less than a day = pretty fast IMO.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agreed. TANSTAAFL.

Top Bottom