• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Downloading, Unpacking, and Watching Fanedits Assistance Thread

I found several VOB to AVI conversion programs thru a google search. Haven't tried any before, however.

Fanedit said:
Anybody have any experience with this or any suggestions? Thanks.

Yes. You might demux the DVD with PGCDemux -- see the FAQ of my guide -- and then remux the video and audio to something that your player might recognize e.g. to a .ts with tsmuxer. Be aware that if your player supports only FAT32, there is a 4GB limit, so you might have to split the output.

You could also connect your laptop to your TV...

Captain Khajiit said:
Yes. You might demux the DVD with PGCDemux -- see the FAQ of my guide -- and then remux the video and audio to something that your player might recognize e.g. to a .ts with tsmuxer. Be aware that if your player supports only FAT32, there is a 4GB limit, so you might have to split the output.

My head just blew up.

Does your DVD player play mpeg2 files? Instead of demuxing and remuxing, you can do everything at once with http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOBMerge

The PGCDemux/ImagoMPEG route is unnecessarily complicated. There is no reason to demux before you mux. It just adds an extra step and makes the process take twice as long.

However, as Captain Khajiit brought up, if you are using fat32 you might have problems. Oddly enough my bluray player ONLY supports ntfs, not fat32. But if your DVD player only supports fat32, I would go with his other suggestion and just burn the discs.

wabid said:
Does your DVD player play mpeg2 files? Instead of demuxing and remuxing, you can do everything at once with http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOBMerge

The PGCDemux/ImagoMPEG route is unnecessarily complicated. There is no reason to demux before you mux. It just adds an extra step and makes the process take twice as long.

However, as Captain Khajiit brought up, if you are using fat32 you might have problems. Oddly enough my bluray player ONLY supports ntfs, not fat32. But if your DVD player only supports fat32, I would go with his other suggestion and just burn the discs.

Speaking from my own experiences before I found fanedit.org, before I tried my hand at fanediting, and i was just messing around with making fan made trailers of existing movies, I used VOBMerge in part of the process with bad results. But that was just my experience. YMMV

It's not meant for that. It sounds like it was used incorrectly. It is meant to join streams of a single movie. You can't cut and splice files and expect it to put them together again, that would require minimal amounts of reencoding such as womble. It does one thing, and that is stitch files together that belong together. It's ONLY configurable option is to output to vob or mpeg.

VOBMerge works just fine for stitching split files together and renaming vobs to mpeg. Yes I said renaming, because in truth VOB is a subset of MPG. You can just rename VOB files to MPG and they will work just fine. VOBmerge is JUST a gui for the windows copy command. It takes your input and runs it through "copy /b". VOBMerge is the same thing as running
Code:
copy /b VTS_02_0.VOB + VTS_02_1.VOB + VTS_02_1.VOB

and then renaming the file mpg.

wabid said:
VOBMerge works just fine for stitching split files together and renaming vobs to mpeg. Yes I said renaming, because in truth VOB is a subset of MPG. You can just rename VOB files to MPG and they will work just fine.

Not completely true, but pretty close. They are both mpg stream containers. VOB caries some different information in the headers. In many instances, you can probably get away with simply remaining the extension, but I would probably demux and remux into the container the correct way.

If you are looking for a one-click solution, there are still other options. VOB2MPG does both steps (demux and remux) with one click. Note, I had issues with the newer version (3.0 on). It was buggy, but the older version (2.5) was stable, albeit somewhat slower. This is freeware, and the link above takes you to the download page at videohelp.

wabid said:

The reason I suggested demuxing the DVD was so that he could use tsmuxer to give him a .ts, which is very well supported by media players of all descriptions: I've come across those that won't play an .mpg. Moreover, most of the DVD/BD players I've come across have been FAT32, and I thought it likely that (had he chosen to do this) the .ts would exceed 4GB and require splitting, which tsmuxer could also have done.

It is interesting that your BD player supports NTFS though. I wish all of them did.

Had anyone problems downloading the gatos' : 21 grams Rebalanced?
13 of the 22 parts have "fatal error" in JD. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Download them again, use option to reset. If they won't download - contact Gatos.

thanks for the help but neither of these worked. after multiple resets i managed to download other 2 parts, but still 11 are missing. any clues?

ThrowgnCpr said:
Not completely true, but pretty close. They are both mpg stream containers. VOB caries some different information in the headers. In many instances, you can probably get away with simply remaining the extension, but I would probably demux and remux into the container the correct way.

If you are looking for a one-click solution, there are still other options. VOB2MPG does both steps (demux and remux) with one click. Note, I had issues with the newer version (3.0 on). It was buggy, but the older version (2.5) was stable, albeit somewhat slower. This is freeware, and the link above takes you to the download page at videohelp.

It does contain more info in the header but it is still mpeg compliant. When parsed by an mpeg container interpreter the standard says the extra data should be ignored. Should being the key word. Theoretically there could be a use case where the extra data causes an error, but I have never seen or heard of such a scenario, so I tend to not believe it would actually happen, until someone demonstrates it actually causing an issue.

Captain Khajiit said:
The reason I suggested demuxing the DVD was so that he could use tsmuxer to give him a .ts, which is very well supported by media players of all descriptions: I've come across those that won't play an .mpg. Moreover, most of the DVD/BD players I've come across have been FAT32, and I thought it likely that (had he chosen to do this) the .ts would exceed 4GB and require splitting, which tsmuxer could also have done.

It is interesting that your BD player supports NTFS though. I wish all of them did.

Is TS really more supported than MPEG? If you split a TS will the media player play it seamlessly?

I have a samsung one upstairs. I wish it supported fat32. Maybe it does and my fat32 drive is just funky/corruptish. Who knows.

my samsung tv can read vob files directly off a hard disc drive (or USB drive, for that matter).
but i usually handbrake my collection into mp4s and put them on a hard drive. at about 1 GB per 90-minute movie, i have both very acceptable a/v quality and economic use of hard disc space.

changing topics. . . i hadn't been to rapidshare in a while, and it appears they've improved their service. now nonregistered users can DL several files at once, which is a huge improvement over their prior one-at-a-time limit. the speeds aren't demonic, but at 100-200 kb/sec per file (sometimes more, sometimes less), it doesn't take long to DL a single-layer disc.

ssj said:
changing topics. . . i hadn't been to rapidshare in a while, and it appears they've improved their service. now nonregistered users can DL several files at once, which is a huge improvement over their prior one-at-a-time limit. the speeds aren't demonic, but at 100-200 kb/sec per file (sometimes more, sometimes less), it doesn't take long to DL a single-layer disc.

Oh snap, did they get rid of the 1GB daily limit?

apparently. DLed about 4 gigolobytes tonight.

Back
Top Bottom