• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Downloading, Unpacking, and Watching Fanedits Assistance Thread

I don't know why, but I've had issues with avidemux outputting to a lower bitrate; sometimes with observable visual glitches. Kinda broke my trust in it for a lossless remux.

I don't know why, but I've had issues with avidemux outputting to a lower bitrate; sometimes with observable visual glitches. Kinda broke my trust in it for a lossless remux.
wow that's crazy! how can it change the stream with a direct copy? I'm not doubting it happened, but it's a really weird glitch and very mysterious as it's not re-encoding at all or at least it shouldn't be.

wow that's crazy! how can it change the stream with a direct copy? I'm not doubting it happened, but it's a really weird glitch and very mysterious as it's not re-encoding at all or at least it shouldn't be.

Well the simple answer is that some kind of bug is causing it to not direct copy. If it's coming out a different bitrate and odd frames appear to be scrambled (my experience) then it's not a direct copy. The biggest trouble for me is it's subtle, so easy to perceive as a successful copy operation and then find out later that you have a flawed source. So while I still use it, I don't trust it and I don't use it as a way of prepping my source for editing.

Well the simple answer is that some kind of bug is causing it to not direct copy. If it's coming out a different bitrate and odd frames appear to be scrambled (my experience) then it's not a direct copy. The biggest trouble for me is it's subtle, so easy to perceive as a successful copy operation and then find out later that you have a flawed source. So while I still use it, I don't trust it and I don't use it as a way of prepping my source for editing.
That's really good to know, thanks.
In any case, I don't use that as my normal workflow, it's just the first thing I thought of for remuxing.
Normally I use ffmpegGUI. I haven't remuxed with it before so I never thought f it immediately, but I think it would do that now that I consider it properly.
so for @jobj 's benefit,

open FFmpegGui. drag your file into it. select exact copy for both audio and video. make sure it's mp4 output if that's what you're after. press the play button in the bottom right.
image.png

And it appears to be a similar issue for me where it's outputting as VFR video from a CFR source when it should just be copying.

Back
Top Bottom