• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Disney+ Marvel Studios Series Thread

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The era of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is over... begun, the Disney+ Marvel Studios TV Series Era has. Here, then, is an ongoing thread for all such shows. (Anything that appears in a released episode is game for non-spoiler tagged discussion.)

250px-WandaVision_logo.png

Apart from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 7, (which, due to bonkers circumstances, was the biggest Marvel property released in 2020), today's two-part WandaVision premiere was the first new MCU content since Spider-Man: Far From Home over a year and a half ago. And, though The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was due to air first, COVID delays meant that the far weirder WandaVision got to lead off, instead.

I for one definitely enjoyed the first two eps, which were exactly as strange and enigmatic as I'd hoped. I'm glad we'll have to wait at least a bit before we get any explanation of what's going on. And, while I've enjoyed The Mandalorian from the start, in style, concept, and execution, that show's about as straightforward as a series gets, so it's nice to see Marvel's Disney+ begin on a completely different note, even if partly by accident.​

On a personal note, I haven't watched a new show as it aired since... gosh, I don't know. I used to watch Arrowverse series online on the CW site, but gave up on The Flash, and while I still enjoy Legends of Tomorrow, I don't feel any urgency to be current with it. And, since I was in school until just about Christmastime, I waited for Mando S2 to finish. I chose not to wait, however, for February 10 or whatever, when I could watch all of WandaVision S1 in a single month's Disney+ subscription. Maybe I'll take a month off and allow the first few eps of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier to air, so I can at least watch the finale on time. For now, I'll have to wait a week for new eps... it's kind of exciting! :p

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was very impressed with Wandavision. The attention to detail was fantastic and I was genuinely surprised at how much if the comedy landed. It worked as both a "classic sitcom" and a mystery. Trying to spot all the various MCU and Marvel comics easter eggs was a joy. From a technical standpoint it looked brilliant and sounded great.

If you're interested in seeing a break down of the Easter eggs you might want to check out this:

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/marvels-wandavision-episode-1-mcu-easter-eggs-and-reference-guide/?amp

My personal favourite was the Ironman repulsor sound effect when the toaster was turned on.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WandaVision is amazing so far and is better than pretty much anything that Marvel television ever made. It's got good pacing, it feels important and is very enjoyable. If the other MCU shows can match it, then I think we're in for a golden age of MCU TV.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed the first two episodes well enough, but before it started I said to a friend that I hoped we don't do one episode in the style of every decade of sitcoms so far, but it looks like that's what we're in for. The first episode was 50's, the second was 60's, and it looks like the next is 70's. I didn't mind the format for the first two, but I think it's going to get old. But really my main issue is that two episodes in, we still don't really have a sense of what the plot is. I don't mind a slow burn, but it seems like they've just lit the match and haven't even started the fire yet.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s tangent reality and the first three episode of this series aside, this was the first look we've had of the "real" MCU world since Spider-Man: Far From Home a year and a half ago, and, my gosh, it felt great to be back! Characters from the Thor and Ant-Man films, sharing scenes! And a character from Captain Marvel, too, but we won't hold that against her. I wish we'd gotten some nod to S.H.I.E.L.D., even as a totally defunct organization, but there's plenty of time. 

And does the fact that no one suggests contacting the Avengers suggest the group has fully disbanded? Not surprising if so, with Tony and Natasha gone, Cap officially dead, and Clint... facing a whole lot of very serious court cases, one hopes. :p

(I have to admit I kinda chuckled when Rambeau's ID card didn't work at S.W.O.R.D. HQ. Woman, you've been gone for five years, and you expect to just waltz into a top-secret facility with your five-year-old badge?! Come, now!)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am no great fan of the MCEWWWW as I've come to call it, but Wandavision is all the sort of things half the films simply aren't, sure there's still the terrible meme humour, but it's fun, twisted, moody, with an ever increasing escalation of mystery and builds a sense of unease in the viewer. Nothing is too stable or reassuring, episode four holds your hand maybe too much, but at least it makes things clearer too, and still has time to surprise you.

And yes, I saw the recent leaks. Boy oh boy. 

I definitely would not worry about this being a misfire...Marvel's had plenty of those in the past, but this is up there with the Russo bros classics right now.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In case people are not aware there was a leaked image from Wandavision which is apparently very spoilerific. I am staying away from twitter and other social media in an effort to avoid it.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, was tonight's guest the aforementioned leak? When I read there was a big cameo tonight, I figured it would most likely be Professor Hulk or Doctor Strange, as the other plausible contenders (Betty Ross for a psych eval, Wong for a mystical assessment) wouldn't really qualify as "big."

Of course, Evan Peters himself doesn't qualify as "big" either, but as Quicksilver ported over from the X-Men universe, now, that fits the bill - and took me completely by surprise, which was blooming delightful! :D

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was expecting the big cameo to be Falcon, Winter Soldier, or Loki since they all have Disney+ shows filming right now. This was a huge surprise!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welp, after a great penultimate episode, I'm afraid I found the finale pretty underwhelming. I don't demand that Evan Peters be the same Quicksilver as the one from the X-films, or explicitly reference them, but having him be a random nobody who is selected to play the "Fietro" role is just lame. Also annoying is the lack of any obvious immediate consequences for the MCU, apart from bringing a watered-down Vision back. (So many resurrections!) And while I hear and respect the argument that this wasn't Doctor Stranger's story to butt into and rescue Wanda from, the lack of A-list cameos can't help but give off AoS vibes, especially after Luke Skywalker's epic appearance. (Not helping: the Westview town square was recognizable from both AoS and Westworld.) Here's hoping Falcon and the Winter Soldier is more self-evidently consequential.

WandaVision grade: B

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't demand that Evan Peters be the same Quicksilver as the one from the X-films, or explicitly reference them, but having him be a random nobody who is selected to play the "Fietro" role is just lame.
This was a terrible choice. I loved Evan Peters as the X-Men Quicksilver, but if he wasn't going to be used as a way to start introducing that universe into the MCU multiverse then they could have cast literally anybody else in the world. They just did this to spur offscreen speculation by fans who have seen the Fox X-Men movies and know about the rights issues. The onscreen reveal was, as you said, lame. The whole thing would have had more resonance if they had brought back Aaron Taylor-Johnson as the real Quicksilver to mess with Wanda's emotions seeing her actual dead brother that she didn't mean to bring back (but would have thought she did somehow because she didn't know anybody else could do anything in her bubble) and then they could have still had a reveal at the end that he was really just a guy named Ralph that Agatha transmogriphied/mind controlled to look/act like Pieteo.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy heck, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is legitimately amazing so far! The second episode had some of the MCU's finest writing to date, and the revelation of the black Super Soldier Isaiah's story was shocking, moving, and sadly appropriate all at once.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had absolutely no interest in Falcon and Winter Soldier, and I didn't understand why everyone was so excited. I'd seen the characters in Civil War and Infinity War and didn't really care for them. But then, 3 days ago I finally watched Cap'n America 2, and I fell in love with it and the characters. So I did end up checking out Falcon and Winter Soldier with this new interest, and my goodness I love the show very much so far.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve avoided posting in this thread because, frankly, I didn’t want to be a negative voice. I watched the first two episodes of WandaViaion and just didn’t get it. I grew up with those sitcoms and I thought the show a weak parody. I didn’t watch any further episodes.

I just finished the second episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I like it more, but again I feel I just don’t get it. I’ve seen all of the Marvel movies but most didn’t stick with me. And I, frankly, have no worldly idea what’s going on in this show. Am I supposed to know who the new Captain America is? Am I suppose to know who the “terrorist” group is? Am I supposed to know why episode two ends “dramatically” on a shot of the creepy sniper from Inglorious Basterds? Maybe these Marvel things work for those that are deeply committed to the property, but for me—even having seen most of it—it just has zero impact. I will say the buddy dynamics worked a tiny bit for me.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it's interesting how differently people respond to the range of MCU stuff. I really liked WandaVision, but felt let down by the finale but some people loved it too. I couldn't care less about Falcon and Winter Soldier, but I'm giving it a go anyway. If you love it, more power to you!

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve avoided posting in this thread because, frankly, I didn’t want to be a negative voice. I watched the first two episodes of WandaViaion and just didn’t get it. I grew up with those sitcoms and I thought the show a weak parody. I didn’t watch any further episodes.

I just finished the second episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I like it more, but again I feel I just don’t get it. I’ve seen all of the Marvel movies but most didn’t stick with me. And I, frankly, have no worldly idea what’s going on in this show. Am I supposed to know who the new Captain America is? Am I suppose to know who the “terrorist” group is? Am I supposed to know why episode two ends “dramatically” on a shot of the creepy sniper from Inglorious Basterds? Maybe these Marvel things work for those that are deeply committed to the property, but for me—even having seen most of it—it just has zero impact. I will say the buddy dynamics worked a tiny bit for me.

At this point, you pretty much need to have seen all the MCU before watching these shows as some many different things are connected and called back. The movies are essentially just a big screen tv show and missing anything is going to leave considerable gaps in one's understanding of what is going on and who the characters are. If you haven't seen the 3 Captain America movies and the most recent Avengers films you are unlikely to understand what is going on and who some of the characters are or where they are at, though as far as Falcon & Winter Soldier go, a lot of new characters and concepts are being introduced for the first time.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
At this point, you pretty much need to have seen all the MCU before watching these shows as some many different things are connected and called back. The movies are essentially just a big screen tv show and missing anything is going to leave considerable gaps in one's understanding of what is going on and who the characters are. If you haven't seen the 3 Captain America movies and the most recent Avengers films you are unlikely to understand what is going on and who some of the characters are or where they are at, though as far as Falcon & Winter Soldier go, a lot of new characters and concepts are being introduced for the first time.
As I said, I’ve seen them all, but none of the questions I posed are answered for me by having seen the movies once. So you basically have to have everything committed to memory to enjoy these shows? I mean can you answer my above questions. New Cap? Terrorist group? Creepy Inglorious Basterds dude?

Last edited:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I mean can you answer my above questions. New Cap? Terrorist group? Creepy Inglorious Basterds dude?
You don't need to know anything about new Cap or the group, both are introduced in the show. Creepy guy is named in the show as Zemo, and is the same actor and character who was the antagonist from Civil War.

Wandavision is the only MCU property my wife has watched with me with enthusiasm. My mom stopped Wandavision after two episodes. I think episode four of that show is the threshold where you'll know if you like it overall, it's when they give some answers and when the tone becomes more consistent. I personally found the show, including the finale, to be engaging and emotionally satisfying, so I encourage others who gave up part way through to give it another chance. I don't want to over hype it, it's not perfect. By all means, if you hate it, don't force yourself, but if you're curious where it's going just know it goes somewhere.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You don't need to know anything about new Cap or the group, both are introduced in the show. Creepy guy is named in the show as Zemo, and is the same actor and character who was the antagonist from Civil War.

Wandavision is the only MCU property my wife has watched with me with enthusiasm. My mom stopped Wandavision after two episodes. I think episode four of that show is the threshold where you'll know if you like it overall, it's when they give some answers and when the tone becomes more consistent. I personally found the show, including the finale, to be engaging and emotionally satisfying, so I encourage others who gave up part way through to give it another chance. I don't want to over hype it, it's not perfect. By all means, if you hate it, don't force yourself, but if you're curious where it's going just know it goes somewhere.
That’s good to know. I have no memory of the Inglorious Basterds guy from any Marvel movie, which is weird because I liked him in that movie and think I would’ve remembered him being a major role. Maybe I didn’t see Civil War after all. I find it hard to separate the movies. They rarely feel distinct to me.

For WandaVision I find it interesting that your mother also gave up at the same lohnt my wife and I did. Perhaps if you’re of an age where the shows being parodied are actually remembered it’s less funny? 🤷‍♂️ I really wanted to like that show because it at least felt like Marvel doing something different.

But maybe this all isn’t for me and I should just bow out of this thread. Cheers to those that enjoy it and thanks for providing me with some clarity.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For WandaVision I find it interesting that your mother also gave up at the same point my wife and I did. Perhaps if you’re of an age where the shows being parodied are actually remembered it’s less funny? 🤷‍♂️ I really wanted to like that show because it at least felt like Marvel doing something different.
That may be a good point, and I have read about other people who gave up on the show, it all seems to be after episode 2. I do find it interesting because the first two episodes are short, so they're not exactly a big time investment, but (with the trailers) they seem to establish a pattern and both episodes are pretty strictly committed to the gimmick. I can see how many might have seen that more impenetrable than inviting. Again, not trying to command anyone to like or even watch a thing they don't care for.

I'm in my mid 30s, so born in the mid 80s, a little older than Wanda the character. I'm familiar with a lot of the prior decades' shows through reruns that aired when I was a kid. Nostalgia is a part of the theme of the show and my personal nostalgia may account for some of my positive reaction to it.

Top Bottom