• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

The Disney+ Marvel Studios Series Thread

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That may be a good point, and I have read about other people who gave up on the show, it all seems to be after episode 2. I do find it interesting because the first two episodes are short, so they're not exactly a big time investment, but (with the trailers) they seem to establish a pattern and both episodes are pretty strictly committed to the gimmick. I can see how many might have seen that more impenetrable than inviting. Again, not trying to command anyone to like or even watch a thing they don't care for.

I'm in my mid 30s, so born in the mid 80s, a little older than Wanda the character. I'm familiar with a lot of the prior decades' shows through reruns that aired when I was a kid. Nostalgia is a part of the theme of the show and my personal nostalgia may account for some of my positive reaction to it.
IIRC the two shows parodied in the first two episodes are the Dick Van Dyke Show and Bewitched. Both were in heavy syndication in the 70s when I was a kid (I was born in 1970). And, frankly, the parodies didn’t work for me at all. I’m certainly open to parody. I thought the Brady Bunch Movie did a great job of lampooning a show from that era. And it just didn’t feel like there was much more to it than that. It seemed to hint at a larger story, but not enough to give me the patience to suffer the parodies.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I would lean more towards calling it homage or pastiche over parody, but that's not much of a distinction. Either way, it is definitely a gimmick, that I guess you either love or hate.

I, too, enjoyed the Brady Bunch movies.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For my part, I've been watching Sebastian Stan play Bucky Barnes for 11 years now, since Captain America: The First Avenger. In all this time, I've found him a bit of a nothing character, whose friendship with Steve was pure and nice and all, but underdeveloped, and therefore uninteresting. When he told Steve he wasn't sure if he was worth all the trouble his plight had caused in Civil War, I nodded enthusiastically in agreement. This also made me doubt Stan's acting abilities.

After these first two episodes, however, I'm a bona fide Bucky fan, and would love to see Stan take on the part of Luke Skywalker in a post-RotJ Disney+ series. :D

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After these first two episodes, however, I'm a bona fide Bucky fan, and would love to see Stan take on the part of Luke Skywalker in a post-RotJ Disney+ series. :D
I completely agree, felt the same for Wanda and for Vision, they were like bland background characters who were only even there because they existed in the source material, but now they are two of my favorites. Making these characters likeable is Marvel's bread and butter, but it really feels like they've fixed something that was never really working.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
WandaVision is a tough start. My wife and I were about to give up on it after the first two episodes. "Is this all they are doing? Is this going anywhere?" But we were encouraged by my sister and a MCU nerd friend to stick with it. In episode 3 we started to see where they were going and it took off from there. The ending is a bit of a let down, but it's not terrible. Overall it was worth watching and we enjoyed the ride.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is great right out the gate. We are fully enjoying it and were both cracking up during episode 2. The chemistry between the two is good. New Cap, new baddies are indeed new--nobody knows who they are (unless I missed something). Which makes sense considering how Sam and Bucky respond to him.

theryaney

Part-time staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Loki is coming, June 19.

WandaVision was good, not really groundbreaking but an enjoyable pastime. TFATWS though, I think is working. Great chemistry and interesting story.

Top Bottom