• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Departed Recut

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
departedfront.jpg

http://fanedit.org/wp/15943/

Fanedit name: The Departed Recut
Original Release Date: 2006
Original Running Time: 151 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: June 2012
Fanedit Running Time: 129 minutes

Brief Synopsis:

The Massachusetts State Police has assigned undercover cop Billy Costigan to infiltrate the mob syndicate run by gangland chief Frank Costello. While Billy gains Costello’s confidence, Staff Sargaent Colin Sullivan has to find a mole that Costello has placed in the police department.

Intention:

After L.A. Confidential and Payback I had to find a third neo-noir movie to edit. I decided to make a FanMix of The Departed, an alternate version that moves the reveal of Costello’s mole from the first scene to the middle of the movie.

Edit Details:

Load files into Vegas --> Splits --> Trim scenes --> Audio crossfades as needed --> Render --> Feedback --> Abandon edit --> Contemplate life --> Realize that not every fanedit needs to be the GREATEST FANEDIT EVER --> Finish edit --> Release --> ??? --> NO profit.

Cut List:

Simple Cut List:
-Deleted all the set-up of Costello’s mole at the beginning.
-Cut all scenes of the mole contacting Costello until mid-way.
-The mole is revealed in the movie theater halfway through.
-Several trims here and there.
-Deleted the Madolyn is pregnant subplot. There’s no way that stick figure is into her second trimester at the end of the movie. And I never really liked it anyway.

Detailed Cut List:

-Added fanedit.org logo at start
-Deleted Costello scenes from the beginning.
-Cut scene of Costello and the mole meeting after graduation.
-Cut shot of Sullivan sipping coffee right after opening title.
-Cut scenes of Sullivan calling his father.
-Cut out Sullivan telling his team about the possibility of a mole. Now we first learn of a mole through Queenan and Dignam’s scene under the bridge.
-Cut Costello and the priests.
-During the attempted bust on Costello at the warehouse I cut a lot of short shots.
-Cut “No tickey, no laundry”
-Cut the scene of Costigan calling Dignam after the failed bust.
-Cut the scene of Costigan and Madolyn at the cafe. (It’s a good scene, but doing this makes her affair with Costigan more of a heat of the moment thing.)
-Cut Sullivan’s phone call from his boss with the cancer throat.
-Small trim to the Costigan and Madolyn sexual tension in the kitchen scene.
-Cut Costigan asking Queenan “Are you sure you weren’t followed?”
-Cut Madolyn being pregnant. “They say that right there is the penis” means she’s in her second trimester. Look at her, there’s barely any meat, let alone a baby.
-Cut out that fucking rat in the finale. Fuck that rat.
-New end credit music.

Release:
DL DVD NTSC (Newsgroups)
AVI (Mediafire and Demonoid)

Special Features:
Deleted Scene
Drinking Game

Gatos, bionicbob, Frantic Canadian, L8wrtr & njvc, I thank you all for the feedback you gave along the way.

This is available via Usenet and Mediafire Rapidshare.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent news Neg. I am glad you decided to finish this!:)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a movie that needed a neglificent trimming. looking forward to this!

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering what the hold up on the release was. :lol: Glad you got it finished and I'm looking forward to seeing the final cut. Curious about the drinking game. Is this something you do with all your edits, or was the Scre4m one the first one you created a drinking game for?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Curious about the drinking game. Is this something you do with all your edits, or was the Scre4m one the first one you created a drinking game for?

Every Neglify edit so far has a drinking game. And every Neglify edit in the future will have a drinking game. Even for a movie like Peter Pan.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Every Neglify edit so far has a drinking game. And every Neglify edit in the future will have a drinking game. Even for a movie like Peter Pan.

Cool. I'll definitely have to check out your first two edits then. ;) And you've just given me another reason to look forward to your FvJ triple edit release with juice4z0.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice! you finished it! i should check this out!

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is it your period? :p

Congrats on finishing good sir!

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done Neg, good choice. This is a quality edit peoples. I was a little reluctant as I love the original, but really enjoyed this alternate take on the movie. Get on it.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
XVID avi is on Mediafire and Demonoid. PM me if you want to check it out.

MF account gone. Sorrry. (And Demonoid's been gone for a month.)

higgins

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoa! Looking forward to it, but... no drinking game for the avi version?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
higgins said:
Whoa! Looking forward to it, but... no drinking game for the avi version?

I can PM you an .srt file for it.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I can PM you an .srt file for it.

No ticky, no laundry.

Not really relevant to higgins asking about the subtitles for the drinking game. But I felt like using that quote.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe one of these days you'll wake the fuck up.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rebue:

The first time I saw The Departed, it seemed rather long. Neg's cut, despite being a little over two hours, is paced just right.

One of the issues with the theatrical cut is the bland symmetry of introducing the respective moles. Really, it doesn't have to be done that way, and Neglify doesn't. The decision to reveal Costello's mole at a later point in the story improves the suspense.

This cut is tight and on-point, my preferred version of The Departed.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thank you for the entertainment, man!

i didn't mention this in my review, but one part could be taken as chronologically shifted: that picture of madolyn, which we first see in sullivan's apt, then later back in a box @ madolyn's place. i just padded the narrative in my mind: after sullivan expresses disapproval of the picture, she takes it back to her place. (even though she's moving in with him!)

Top Bottom