• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Departed Recut

Yep, it's one of the minor moments with her that I love. I had wanted to cut the scene with Sullivan and Madolyn at his place because I wanted to cut every instance of Gimme Shelter, but that photograph was too important for me.

Neg is becoming the Crime Noir King!!!

Watched it.

Liked it.

Will definitely watch again!

And if you are avid watcher of Fan Edits, you know the edit must be good if you know you will rewatch it.
Real good.
Damn GOOD.

A great alternate take on Scorsese's amazing crime drama. A movie I never would have dreamed of editing,
as I love it as is. But Neg has won me over. Beautifully reconstructed, the new narrative flows and I did not notice any significant tech issues.

Good stuff! Thumbs UP!!!:)

I guess I should chime in here. I watched the workprint. When Neg told me he was editing The Departed I was really intrigued I'm a huge Martin Scorcese fan and I really like this movie. On a related side note, I encourage everyone to check out Infernal Affairs (the Hong Kong film which The Departed was based on).

So when I watched the workprint I thought it worked really well. I had two gripes with it and this just had to do with personal preferences. Luckily Neg listened/agreed with my demands!

It was inclusion of the "Wanna go for a smoke...go fuck yourself" and the other was the removal of the very end scene with the rat on the porch railing.

I'd say this is nearly equal to the original as far as entertainment value and definitely a good alternate version to burn to disc!

Nice work Neg.

P.S. If you do one more drug deal with that fucking idiot cop magnet of a cousin I'll forget that your grandmother was so nice to me. I'll cut your fuckin' nuts off.

I would have also accepted "She's tired from fucking my father."

homer_simpson_fade.gif

My vote for June feotm.

Want to thank L8wrtr for his review. :)

And if anybody else had problems with the chapter stops when they burned it to DVD let me know. I'm 89% convinced it was a Neg mistake so prove me right.

DL DVD and AVI available via Mediafire. DLCs have been submitted to info.

Double password protected. See FAQ.

MF account gone. Sorrry.

It had been a long time (years) since I had last watched my copy of The Departed, and I decided to take advantage of this oppotunity to experience Neglify's alternate take. The energetic pace, charisma, and focus of this version really engaged me -- had to use the restroom halfway through but decided to hold it in my own home.

First of all, by making who the mole is a reveal, this edit untangles what was a convoluted setup in the original. But that may prove to be a bad thing for certain fans of the original cut, as that convoluted nature was part of its premise and appeal. In excising this, Recut by Neglify changes the film from a tense cat and mouse between two main characters into a thriller centered around one main character, Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio).

This simplification was executed very well and to fantastic effect. I always felt more connected with the struggle of Costigan, and with Sullivan relegated to a supporting role and no knowledge that a mole even exists for some time, Costigan's story is allowed to resonate on its own. The film was able to focus in on his peril, paranoia, and isolation which are strong enough to carry this film on their own but got lost in the shuffle of the original.

This edit also strengthened Costello. There is now a build-up to his first appearance, and his presence is far more intimidating when only seen from Costigan's point-of-view. Likewise, Sullivan is far easier to like and relate to earlier on in this version. Despite losing the background between Costello and the mole, this edit makes up for it by emphasizing the arc of Costello and Costigan's developing father/son relationship, culminating in a scene between Costello and the mole that gives greater incite into what Costello saw in Costigan.

A lot is lost -- two supporting characters show up at the resolution whose screentime is almost nothing in this cut -- but a lot is gained. I may even slightly prefer Neglify's cut. For those willing to watch a completely different take on this Academy Award Winner, The Departed Recut by Neglify is a solid 9.5/10.

The drinking game was a fun surprise extra feature, but it delayed my first viewing by 30 seconds while I debated.

Wow! Thank you AEmg, I am very happy to hear you enjoyed it so much. :)

AEmovieguy said:
This edit also strengthened Costello. There is now a build-up to his first appearance, and his presence is far more intimidating when only seen from Costigan's point-of-view. Likewise, Sullivan is far easier to like and relate to earlier on in this version. Despite losing the background between Costello and the mole, this edit makes up for it by emphasizing the arc of Costello and Costigan's developing father/son relationship, culminating in a scene between Costello and the mole that gives greater incite into what Costello saw in Costigan.

Thank you. I myself was quite happy with how Sullivan comes across in this edit, but when a couple previewers told me that they still couldn't help but see him as the villain I almost ditched the edit. I am glad this worked for you.

AEmovieguy said:
The drinking game was a fun surprise extra feature, but it delayed my first viewing by 30 seconds while I debated.

:lol: Nice.

great edit.

I also LOVE that we don't even see Costello til quite a ways into the movie...

And.. Did I miss something, or did you "enhance" or change some of the music too?

Thanks for the kind words man.

Dave Furbush said:
Did I miss something, or did you "enhance" or change some of the music too?

Don't know specifically what you're talking about, but there was some editing regarding the music (minor). Most definitely replaced the end credits music. And there was a section in the middle where I cut out Damon and Jack on the phone so I used John Lennon's Well Well Well to help with the transitions. But other than that, no "enhancements".

Neglify said:
Thanks for the kind words man.

Don't know specifically what you're talking about, but there was some editing regarding the music (minor). Most definitely replaced the end credits music. And there was a section in the middle where I cut out Damon and Jack on the phone so I used John Lennon's Well Well Well to help with the transitions. But other than that, no "enhancements".

Me and my friend watched this on the ps3 last night. I was telling him about fanedits, as I'd been watching them almost exclusively for the last 2 days. The Departed is one of our favorite movies... So, I talked him into sitting down here and checking this badboy out with me.... WE loved it, but several times... we wondered if the music that was playing was in the original. Maybe we hadn't watched it in a while.... When I get home from work tonight, I'm gonna scam through it and be more specific.

Back
Top Bottom