• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Deer Hunter: Skinned

Psyklax

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE DEER HUNTER: SKINNED

This is my first fan-edit, it's all done, the ISO is ready to go. All I need is to upload it and get some cover art (if someone could help there I'd really appreciate it).

Some info:
Of all the fan-edits that seem to be repeatedly done for different franchises, I couldn't think of a film that I wanted to do that someone else hadn't done already. That was when I remembered The Deer Hunter. Everybody loves it, but I couldn't help but think that it was way, way too long, with so much in it that really slows the movie down and shifts your attention from the main focus. With that in mind, I present The Deer Hunter: Skinned - a cut down, slimmer version of a (supposed) classic.

Roughly 45 minutes have been cut. Despite this being my first fan-edit, this is not a shoddily edited package cutting all the bits I think are "boring". Having studied film at university, I like to think that I know what I'm doing in this regard. To this end, I have included an audio commentary which should give a satisfactory explanation of all of my edits. If anybody disagrees with my edit - and I'm sure that many will - feedback/discussion will be very much appreciated.

PAL Video, English w/ English Audio Commentary
Original Length: 2hrs 56mins 18secs
New Length: 2hrs 9mins 39secs
Utils used: Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD, Adobe Audition 1.5, DVDAuthor.

Any more info needed before I upload? My upload speed isn't good, so uploading 4.2GB will take, like, a day or more... Bittorrent would be easiest, Rapidshare would take longer, and I'm not a premium member, so that might be a problem, I don't know.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Here's the Rapidshare links. I'll just put them in this post for now then think about what else to do with it (other forums on the site etc).

uploaded to Rapidshare
EDIT 2: It seems that there may be some frustrating technical problems with the finished DVD - frustrating for me, probably not for you guys - where the edits may be off by a frame or two. When the edits are a bit tight, that causes bits of audio to jump, and the most notable problem is at around 1hr 26, when there's a frame or two of black between the point when the guys leave the bar area, then get a drink in the back room. That was not my fault, it looked fine in the edit, but obviously I should've given the authored DVD a second look as I would've noticed that. It's not a big deal and shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the film in any way. It just bothers me. :D

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well hell, sounds good to me. Congrats on the first edit. As far as spreading goes, everyone on here loves RS, but I'm a torrenter myself... so ya know where my vote is. ;)

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RS is faster than torrents...what help do you need?

Psyklax

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, not sure about help, just that if I use Bittorrent I can just start seeding it along with my other torrents, but with Rapidshare I have to upload 42 RARs which will take a long time, and since I'm not a member they might get deleted or something, I don't know. Isn't that the case? Maybe not. Just bear in mind that Rapidshare will take a while for me.

Not sure about newsgroups. Think I'll just go onto Mininova and get started, but also I sometimes turn off my torrents when I want to browse cause my connection isn't all that great and Bittorrent seriously slows down my browsing. At least when it's on Rapidshare I can forget about it. If only fanedit.org accepted Xvid movies. :roll:

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well if your going to torrent it...i wouldnt have any other torrents going at the same time.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, when I was seeding my first edit I stopped all other torrents and let it seed for about a week.

Psyklax

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough on that front. I've just created the torrent, hopefully it works. I can just upload it to Mininova now, I think. RARing it up too, to upload to Rapidshare, though I could just do the torrent first in the meantime.

My disk space is running low and doing this edit doesn't help. =]

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am putting this to firstlings now, but the torrent link is missing.

Psyklax

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not missing, I haven't done it yet. =]

I'm uploading to rapidshare now, I get 42kb/s upload so it could take a few days (I have a job, thus I can't do it during the day). Once it's rapidshared I'll give the torrent link. I'd do that now, but having bittorrent on will make it nearly impossible to upload to rapidshare at the same time, so you'll just have to wait for that.

I'll post in this thread once everything's done, if anybody could then tell me where to go etc I'd appreciate it. Also does anyone know where to get someone to do artwork? Not necessary but a nice touch... =]

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
so I ma moving this to IN THE WORKS, until made available.

Psyklax

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why did nobody tell me about the RapidUploader tool? :)

I had tons of trouble uploading with Rapidshare's site-based tool, so a desperation Google found RapidUploader, and I'm flying away with it. I'm on file 28 of 41 as I speak, so I should be all done by tomorrow.

What'll happen when I have the whole film Rapidshared? Does this thread get moved? Do I post the links in this thread? Most likely by editing the first post?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it will get moved to FIRSTLINGS.
yes, you can post the links into this thread and also to the Rapidshare forum.
yes, best is to update the first post.

Psyklax

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know what happens now, whether people have to watch it to approve it for the main site or whatever... but any feedback at all would be great. =]

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes, people have to watch it and comment on it, so it gets approved. Just be patient. I hope it will not last too long.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Although highly praised I was never too fond of the Deer Hunter. Yes it had parts I did like but I too thought at times it dragged a little. Your edit is on my dl que list, hopefully it will be here by tonight or tomorrow

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Deer Hunter: Skinned by Psyklax

Someone offered me this particular deer that was skinned down removing most of the fat, what was left was pure heavenly bliss (or so I was told since I do not eat meat).

The Deer Hunter: Skinned took a "classic" film and removed most of the fluff. Truth be told I have not seen the Deer Hunter in many years. From what I can recall was that though a good and well written film, some of it just seemed a little boring, bordering on dragging. Then again I was very young when I had originally seen this and I am sure most of it might have gone over my head. Then again maybe I was right on track since the editor made the decision to cut this film down. Taking that into account when watching this edit now, I think the theatrical version needs another viewing. I am positive both can be fully appreciated and stand on their own as well as side by side

This edit kills roughly 45 mins of the film. In such a film as this I had to wonder how this would still manage. The lesser footage is not missed and in turn the editor brought out the more powerful scenes and story to the forefront while still maintain enough characterization that you actually give a damn. The later half of the film is still as emotionally strong as ever and moves you when viewing.

It is rare indeed when you can take away so much from what some would call one of the best after effects of Vietnam films ever made, and still accomplish the task of keeping it a structured and coherent film though much shorter. Thanks again for the edit.

A lovely bonus feature is commentary by Psyklax himself. At times while viewing and when curious about certain scenes I would flick the audio back and forth.

Other notes: edits are near perfect without noticing anything in video or audio. This is also PAL format

4 1/2 stars (which rounds down to four)

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this edit gets full approval by me.

review can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4276

approved.png

Psyklax

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review, I was expecting a backlash because it's such a well-loved movie, but I'm happy you like it. I would certainly like to hear some more feedback - positive and negative (the latter can provide some interesting discussion).

Oh, and someone good at cover art could have a go too... :D

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good fan edit, I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't even miss the material that was cut out. I remember trying to watch another Cimino film, "Year of the Dragon", and that was a real snooze fest.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RS now on linktalk

Top Bottom