• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Dark Tower

I actually really like the first book a lot. Slow? A little. But it feels much more lyrical than the later books. A tighter, more concise read.

thunderclap said:
I actually really like the first book a lot. Slow? A little. But it feels much more lyrical than the later books. A tighter, more concise read.

Totally. When I first read that book I was pretty much hooked by the end of the first chapter. It's definitely the easiest (and most satisfying) book to re-read.

You ever read the Revised edition?

thunderclap said:

I enjoyed it because I love westerns but I think not everyone wants to read a western since westerns are mostly visual stories.

about the character that was inserted:

I think it is a therapy for King himself and he doesn't get away very well. The King in the books is no gloryfied god but a weak, whiny brat that is directly responsible for the death of a main character. I like this idea that because of King's fear he let one of his characters die. And while I did not enjoy all his things (hint: IEEEEEEEE) I respect that those decisions were made by him and not for us.
With harry potter for example the finale read more like a checklist: and the fans want this, and I promised this character would do that and this character hasn't had his moment to shine yet - for a while I thought the ending was cool to potter, but when I read it now it just feels overconstructed to please as many as possible (cough Lost) and therefore I respect King for doing what he thought was best for the story

and on the plus side: a crazy choice like IEEEEEE is a sign that king is not completely relying on ghostwriters because no ghostwriter would have the balls to go as crazy as king did with DTVII

Neglify said:
You ever read the Revised edition?

I have, and while it does kill some of things I liked about the original it actually works best if read AFTER DT7. So when I read the series I prefer the original releases of DT 1-7 then the revised edition. It works surprisingly well. :)

Sunarep said:
The Gunslinger was also written by a very young Stephen King, there even are a lot of Tower fans who think it is best if you start with Part II (Drawing of the Three) which is leagues above the writing from part I - i remember reading the first 170 pages in one turn because part II was so exciting, when I was listening to the audiobook while running I made some extra kilometers to hear how the story went on :D

and the comics are just king stories in name only -they are so boring and formulaic, the only thing that makes them average is the great art of jae lee, but the story he is painting is just boring

I would love to see a man like Del Toro adapting dark tower - very experimental and raw
I actually hate Jae Lee's art even more than I dislike King's writing style. Lee is obviously good at what he does, I just hate what he does. It's all close-ups and shading. You can't see anything. I don't get any sense of adventure (or foreboding, for that matter) out of it, and the shiny digital skin tone of most Marvel fare these days is so uncanny valley it literally makes me sick. The Stand has minor versions of the same problems, but it is SO much better. I'm on book two (of six) now. It's extremely well done, apart from the fact that it could've been a bit more show, don't tell. I don't need to know what all the characters are thinking all the time.

I might give Drawing of the Three a shot. But since I dislike the writing style of The Stand about as much as a I disliked The Gunslinger (the revised version, btw), I honestly don't think my experience with DT2 will end well. It's so frustrating. I WANT to like this. I really do.

Del Toro would be a great candidate for a DT adaptation - agreed.

Ah, I see that The Stand was written well before The Gunslinger, so that makes my point moot about DT2.

havok1977 said:

This news made my day :D
The ending of the first movie will be pivotal if they are planning to make more sequels. A story as strange as The Dark Tower needs to leave a satisfying, yet addictive impression. While I myself enjoyed the first volume The Gunslinger a lot I have more than once encountered people who stopped reading because of part I. I had to force two of my friends to continue to read on and after they reluctantly got a copy of The Drawing of the Three they went on to read the entire series.
So I can understand that the producers want to have a “satisfying ending” – assuming they are talking about the ending of the first movie and not the series itself. If this project takes off, the first movie needs to be like an amazing pilot for a TV-show but still feel like a “real” movie and not just a setup.

I thought when they said "satisfying ending" they meant the entire series, not just the first book.

Oh I'm pretty sure they meant the ending for the first movie, since that's the one they are trying to get off the ground here... as for the rest of the series, time will tell if its even adapted.

havok1977 said:
Oh I'm pretty sure they meant the ending for the first movie, since that's the one they are trying to get off the ground here... as for the rest of the series, time will tell if its even adapted.

All I have to say is they better not change the Blaine the Mono cliffhanger. That was frickin' brilliant and left us hanging for 7 years. One of the best cliffhangers ever.

That's actually very good news. I hope they just skip the movies altogether and go all the way with a multi-season HBO series. Reading the The Stand comic (still five chapters left to go) has made me hungry for more King weirdness.

I'm happy that they keep the multiple platforms idea, this will be a very ambitious project indeed and not just one of those fantasy movies designed to be a new franchise that never goes beyond adaption 1 (percy jackson, eragon, golden compass)

Just ordered me the Artists Edition of this.

Q2 said:
Just ordered me the Artists Edition of this.

From Don Grant? Mine arrived last week. Actually the copy I always buy for my brother, since you have to be sorta in the club to preorder them.
The Dark Tower is so massive, I cannot help but fear it will be completely frakked up by severe truncating, foolish CGI, and budget constraints. I would like to see it. Hell, I invariably look forward to any King adaptation. And I invariably feel cheated.

Back
Top Bottom