• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Dark Knight Fanedit- My problem with Christopher Nolan...

@"Ryantology" unapproved editors are allowed two active projects and this is your third.  Please let me know which of the three you'd like to archive.  You can always change your mind later.  Thanks.

Apologies, it’s been a while since I posted and I thought only my Resurrection edit was active. If I could keep that one as well as this one active that would be great. Thanks for your help. 

TVs Frink said:
@"Ryantology" unapproved editors are allowed two active projects and this is your third.  Please let me know which of the three you'd like to archive.  You can always change your mind later.  Thanks.

Done.  Thanks.

Was this the one with the hockey pads? That can probably go too.

Yeah. I took that out. I deleted a fair amount of the copycat Batmen. I also made it to where the Scarecrow gets away which leads Batman to say he needs to be lighter and faster in the next scene. 
addiesin said:
Was this the one with the hockey pads? That can probably go too.

Ryantology said:
I figured. Such a bummer! I get so pumped when I find a movie with a clear center channel. I did an edit of The Dark Knight and got almost everything the way I wanted it except the ending. I think what I was wanting to do will be impossible without a clear center channel. Oh well, just have to leave it as it.

What was your plan for the ending of the movie? Rebuilding audio can be difficult, but it's not impossible and very educating.

I loved The Dark Knight but never really dug the ending. The narration from both Batman and Gordon was just too on the nose for me. I felt the visuals were so powerful and didn't need to be narrated. I also never felt that the music fit. Personally, I just wanted something different. I picked Evey Reborn from V for Vendetta and restructured the finale scenes. I moved Gordon breaking the bat signal later and interspersed it between scenes of Batman running away. My problem is actually the scenes before this. When Gordon and Batman are talking about Dent, there's music playing and I've been having trouble finding a way to fade that music out and fade my music in. Here's my idea, minus the part I just mentioned. I'd love feedback!

What was your plan for the ending of the movie? Rebuilding audio can be difficult, but it's not impossible and very educating.
[/quote]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I loved The Dark Knight but never really dug the ending. The narration from both Batman and Gordon was just too on the nose for me. I felt the visuals were so powerful and didn't need to be narrated. I also never felt that the music fit. Personally, I just wanted something different. I picked Evey Reborn from V for Vendetta and restructured the finale scenes. I moved Gordon breaking the bat signal later and interspersed it between scenes of Batman running away. My problem is actually the scenes before this. When Gordon and Batman are talking about Dent, there's music playing and I've been having trouble finding a way to fade that music out and fade my music in. Here's my idea, minus the part I just mentioned. I'd love feedback![/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]

DigModiFicaTion said:
Ryantology said:
I figured. Such a bummer! I get so pumped when I find a movie with a clear center channel. I did an edit of The Dark Knight and got almost everything the way I wanted it except the ending. I think what I was wanting to do will be impossible without a clear center channel. Oh well, just have to leave it as it.

The music works pretty well on its own, but it's hard to replace the iconic credits music of Zimmer. I personally like the on the nose lines.
I'm sure there are isolated bat bike noises, axe in metal sfx, dogs, police , etc that you could rebuild the audio track with.

You could easily rebuild the audio effectively. And I would be keen to seeing how it works cause I reallllyyyyy liked what you did there. Like Digi, I am fine with the original ending and it is my favorite superhero movie ending period. But this was really cool, just letting the visuals stand on their own.

darthrush said:
You could easily rebuild the audio effectively. And I would be keen to seeing how it works cause I reallllyyyyy liked what you did there. Like Digi, I am fine with the original ending and it is my favorite superhero movie ending period. But this was really cool, just letting the visuals stand on their own.

I’m so glad you liked it! My problem actually lies in the minute or two before this clip. The scenes where Batman and Gordon are talking about Dent (I’ll upload a clip later). I’m having trouble fading out of Zimmer’s score and moving over to this one. I don’t think I’m going to rebuild the sound design here. I actually like the scenes playing silent with only music heard. I’m glad you could give this scene a chance even though you love the original ending. I’ve found through feedback from certain people that some feel not a single frame of the dark knight should be touched.

darthrush said:

So here is kinda what I was talking about. I've never been 100% with how the sound sounds while Gordon and Bruce are speaking to each other. As for the rest of the ending, I don't really plan on redoing the sound design because I actually like just having the music play over the visuals.

That was excellent... pure art... right up until the title

I dunno, isn't there something better than "The Darker Knight"? It just seems hoaky, especially considering how dramatic that was.

Zamros said:
That was excellent... pure art... right up until the title

I dunno, isn't there something better than "The Darker Knight"? It just seems hoaky, especially considering how dramatic that was.

You’re totally right about the title. I actually forgot to change it. I put it there as a joke for a friend of mine when we were watching it. I’m really glad you dug everything before the title though!

I was wondering if people could tell me what they think of how this edit turned out. I've had some down votes on youtube but I really just have one question to ask- Do people dislike this because they are emotionally attached to the original edit or are there things that truly could've been done better from an editing standpoint? Here were my intentions with doing this edit. 1) There were some odd continuity cuts that I wanted to fix. 2) I wanted to eliminate any cheesy dialogue/delivery. 3) I wanted to trim down the chase scene and score it with music that seemed Zimmer-like to me. I felt this gave the chase more urgency. 4) I wanted to use an alternate delivery of "HIT ME" from the trailer as I very much preferred it. 5) I wanted to change the aspect ratio. I'm sure the IMAX scenes looked great on an IMAX screen but I find 2:35/1 to be much more cinematic.

I LOVED that clip! The rescore is beautiful. Everything just feels that much more epic.

Just curious, what editor are you using?

I personally didn't care for the music piece from the skyscraper that was added when the cop is taken out at the semi. It works better the second time it occurs though. The music sounds like it fades out/disappears around 1:13. Does the added score during the jump naturally drop out like that or was that an edit choice? That being said, this definitely brings a frenetic tension to this scene that wasn't there before. Excellent job on achieving this unique speed up and shift in the Joker's character! The only real editing decision I would suggest in terms of visuals would be to remove the people looking at the broken batmobile. The energy is fantastic in the scenes and I wonder if you could keep it amped by picking up the pace by removing them. Just a thought.

you're getting downvotes on youtube because you put it publicly on youtube.
for most people you're messing with a sacred cow and anything you do is going to piss them off.
they also, for the most part, don't understand fanediting the way people in this community do.
just keep on keeping on, don't take feedback on youtube seriously, and maybe only consider reactions you get from people here.

that said.  i liked your sequence.  some sound effects might help so it doesn't feel so hollow.

darthrush said:
I LOVED that clip! The rescore is beautiful. Everything just feels that much more epic.

Just curious, what editor are you using?

I predominantly use Final Cut Pro X for all my editing. I've used other software but it's the one I'm most comfortable with at the moment. Really glad you dug my edit! I've gotten some great feedback on this clip from this site and that's definitely reassured me that I accomplished what I had intended to with this.

I agree with a lot of what Digi said. And the reason I asked about your editor is that I feel like the sound mixing and audio levels could be improved a bit. Could you post the exact music clips you used and when they were implemented?

I wanna try implementing a few things that Digi suggested while improving the sound editing a bit.

Back
Top Bottom