• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just started watching. This looks amazing. I'm going to have to get used to all of the dialogue and world building. I'm mostly a movie watcher, so the lateral story telling vs straight forward story telling is going to take some getting used to. The blend of practical and cg is very well balanced. Very optimistic 30+ minutes in.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished season one. I was a little hesitant during the first few episodes, but around episode 4 this really kicked into high gear and flew by at a lightning pace. The production value is perfect. The growth to the story was spot on and never pushed it beyond what should be. Every one should take note of how this series honored and continued the preexisting story.

I only have a few nitpicky things. The voices felt a bit off to me (the emperor and scientist). This may have been due to the fact that I could hear the actors in their performances which kind of pulled me out. Also, this series does put the "dark" in the Dark Crystal as there are many scenes that felt more mature than I would want any child to see.

Fun note I noticed during the final episode. Every Gelifling appears to be left handed. Of course this is most likely due to the fact that the puppeteers are probably right handed and using that hand to manipulate the head. I kind of like it as I instantly attributed some of the feel of Link to the characters which lent to the scene and added some adventure quality.

Anyway. This was near perfect and I can't wait for season two. 9.5/10

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
This came out Friday. I just watched the first episode, but I can't say I'm impressed. It already seems to be suffering from the same problems as it's predecessor, which is a generic plot and poor characterisation. Visually it's mostly well done, but still not to my taste (who's idea was it to use shaky cam and lense flare?).

You say "generic", I say Iconic.  You can argue that characters from most epic stories are "generic".  Star Wars, LOTR, etc.  They're Jungian archetypes.  The point is to tell a story with characters that you immediately identify so that you focus on the plot.  It's not trying to paint a "every man is a complicated portrait" like Citizen Kane.  I actually think when this story tries to get twisty and
Seladon betrays her mother, then later everyone instantly forgives her and accepts her back into the group
it's pretty cheesy and unbelievable.  They get a little too carried away with trying to send a political message about mending fences.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I only have a few nitpicky things. The voices felt a bit off to me (the emperor and scientist). This may have been due to the fact that I could hear the actors in their performances which kind of pulled me out. Also, this series does put the "dark" in the Dark Crystal as there are many scenes that felt more mature than I would want any child to see.

Interesting... I'd recognize Mark Hamill's voice anywhere, but I don't mind, he was amazing.  I didn't know Isaacs was in this though, and I didn't place his voice until later.

As far as it being ok for kids... the original film scared the crap out of me!  It was one of those films like Neverending Story that you watch as a kid, and it's mostly ok, but there are a couple bits that you have to look away from, you know?  Or watch through a blanket!  I thought this did a great job of honoring that tone.  Remember these?
latest

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Age of Resistance is a show I'd have absolutely no problem showing my younguns if I had any. Of course, I'd have no problem showing them Psycho, either.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's less of the onscreen scares like the gartham, than it is the dark deeds and feeling of certain scenes.
eg
the overtly murderous nature of the skeksis, the scenes of the emperor explaining the darkness and what it has done to him, Mira's murder, the skeksis' head exploding, Chamberlain's murder of the general, the hunter, etc. The original had similar actions, but they were less intense and more implied. This series has grahpic portrayals of murder and death that were never in the original.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
It's less of the onscreen scares like the gartham, than it is the dark deeds and feeling of certain scenes.
eg
the overtly murderous nature of the skeksis, the scenes of the emperor explaining the darkness and what it has done to him, Mira's murder, the skeksis' head exploding, Chamberlain's murder of the general, the hunter, etc. The original had similar actions, but they were less intense and more implied. This series has grahpic portrayals of murder and death that were never in the original.

Hmmm...fair point.  It seemed the same to me, but there's no way for me to go back and re-experience this as a kid side by side with the original film.  I also don't know how used to things kids today are.  I have a sense that the original film wouldn't affect them like it did me, like they're too savvy about effects and darker story elements now.  But maybe I'm wrong.  My sister let my nephew watch Anakin getting chopped up in Episode III when he was about 10, which I thought was far darker and more traumatizing, but I don't have kids, so what do I know.

Top Bottom