• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most anticipated TV-Series for me after The Mandalorian.

D7GQ6QiWwAAUuDq-1024x684.jpg

D7GQ8d7W0AAt7R9-1024x683.jpg

D7GQ_QPWwAEWf9J-1024x684.jpg

D7GRLm0X4AAPLA7-1024x684.jpg

D7GRNSmUIAARoCJ-1024x684.jpg

the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-photo-1086456.jpg

the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-photo-1086455.jpg

the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-photo-1086454.jpg

the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-photo-1086453.jpg

It looks exactly as the original movie (some character faces are more "refined" tho)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That looks flipping amazing. Wow, and apparently according to video comments the director (same director as Incredible Hulk which is whatever) is really against using CGI on it.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm so glad it's all puppets, I was really afraid when they first announced the series that it was going to be a CGI nightmare.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First full trailer. (well teaser, but it shows a lot)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They've got the look down to a tee. I hope they venture out a bit though, rather than just using locations and creature designs we've already seen from the film.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched the trailer. Wow. I felt like a kid again. This looks beautiful.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks great. I like how they've used CGI to open the periphery of the world, while keeping the focus on the oldskool puppets.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My father is super excited for this, and I'm happy for him. I suppose I should revisit the original film.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The original Dark Crystal was a beautiful, visually stunning film with amazing puppetry and a haunting score by Trevor Jones. The movie also unfortunately had too little plot and paper-thin characters.* I have to imagine that the Henson company has learned from both the praise and the criticism of the original work, and this is a case where the follow-up may be better than the original. (In fact, there was a long-planned movie sequel that ultimately never happened, which suggests to me that they're not just slapping something out there, but waited until they had the right scripts.)

Debuting it on Netflix is a win-win. People who might be too skeptical to try a new Dark Crystal in the theaters will probably give this a shot since it's already a part of their streaming service anyway. And right now, Netflix has a way better standing in the industry and in the eyes of the viewing public than network TV, cable or direct-to-video. So this is the right way to premiere this.

Yeah, consider me excited.  :)

*I've often thought of -- but have yet to get around to -- an edit that takes the "Story of Star Wars" approach to the material, using the read-along book and record to give you the whole plot in less than 15 minutes set to the beautiful visuals, puppetry and music of the movie.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
and apparently according to video comments the director is really against using CGI on it.

Yeah I don't know where that came from, but the newer trailer certainly has CGI. Luckily it doesn't look overdone.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully they'll release this on physical media.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
The movie also unfortunately had too little plot and paper-thin characters.* 

I guess I would agree with you if the movie would be released today. I personally have seen enough "prophecy" stories in movies. I can't stand "prophecy" stories anymore. Did I mention how I'm bored with "Prophecy" stories? But as a kid, in theater in 1982 it was just amazing. It was also back in the day when most movies were 1h30 (specialy kids movies). Now we're accustomed to long movies and TV-Series relating one long big story with all the time in the world to create deep characters. As a 1h30 movie introducing a whole new world with plenty of characters I think the Dark Crystal is pretty good. You understand the spirit of every major characters in no time. The scene when Jen and Kira are sharing their past memories for example is very well done. You understand the actions of the bad guys and at the very end bad guys and good guys become one! It's pretty daring for a kids movie.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This came out Friday. I just watched the first episode, but I can't say I'm impressed. It already seems to be suffering from the same problems as it's predecessor, which is a generic plot and poor characterisation. Visually it's mostly well done, but still not to my taste (who's idea was it to use shaky cam and lense flare?).

Also, not that I'm a mega fan of the original or anything, but I'm pretty sure it already conflicts with the mythology:

Aren't the skeksis and the mystics one and the same? Both born out of the crystal cracking, which this whole series is a prelude to? I don't see how that adds up.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having watched the entire season, I've found the characters more well-rounded than their film counterparts. YMMV.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
This came out Friday. I just watched the first episode, but I can't say I'm impressed. It already seems to be suffering from the same problems as it's predecessor, which is a generic plot and poor characterisation. Visually it's mostly well done, but still not to my taste (who's idea was it to use shaky cam and lense flare?).

Also, not that I'm a mega fan of the original or anything, but I'm pretty sure it already conflicts with the mythology:

Aren't the skeksis and the mystics one and the same? Both born out of the crystal cracking, which this whole series is a prelude to? I don't see how that adds up.

I just watched the first episode.

I think the crystal is already cracked before the show begins. Not 100% on that yet though.

Edit:
Confirmed in later episode.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For details on how the Skeksis and Mystics split from the urSkek, you should check out The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths.
51ldm43he2L._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^^ I feel like that would have been the more interesting story to explore in the series...

Watched 5 episodes now and I am quite enjoying it. There are many things I'm not keen on, but it's grown on me considerably.

The rock monster is a wonderfully inventive design. I love how it's hand is like a stylus and it speaks by running it along the grooves in it's arms.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Suprise, suprise... The Dark Crystal gets dark. Pretty bleak stuff, ain't it?

I have 2 episodes left. It's grown on me quite a bit, and I'm enjoying it. There are definitely elements that have been a bit rushed though, and the Skeksis voices can really grate on the ears after a while.

There is a lot of CGI. At times I think it goes a bit far, but more often than not its been really well integrated. I wish practical and CG FX would to work together more frequently in modern productions.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Suprise, suprise... The Dark Crystal gets dark. Pretty bleak stuff, ain't it?

I love that about the series. I was concerned Helen Lovejoy Syndrome would taint the production, but TPTB appear to have recognized that children have spines and don't need to be sheltered from any and all expressions of the macabre.

Top Bottom