• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Clone Wars

Moe_Syzlak said:
Masirimso17 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Thanks @"addiesin" but my kids lost interest only halfway through the first episode. Ha! Oh well, I’ll have to find something else. We had a chill out time yesterday and watched part of Fantasia. They weren’t psyched about it, but did end up enjoying the ones with more story. And then they ended up choosing and enjoying a 1969 movie called My Dog the Thief. Lol. So who knows what kids will like.

Hmm. Which episode was it?

S1e1.

5f12bd17-3a09-4085-b8d7-afdebb4aa8fc_text.gif

Try the Malevolence arc, feels like a perfect intro to me

Masirimso17 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Masirimso17 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Thanks @"addiesin" but my kids lost interest only halfway through the first episode. Ha! Oh well, I’ll have to find something else. We had a chill out time yesterday and watched part of Fantasia. They weren’t psyched about it, but did end up enjoying the ones with more story. And then they ended up choosing and enjoying a 1969 movie called My Dog the Thief. Lol. So who knows what kids will like.

Hmm. Which episode was it?

S1e1.

5f12bd17-3a09-4085-b8d7-afdebb4aa8fc_text.gif

Try the Malevolence arc, feels like a perfect intro to me

Do you have a list of the episodes?

Try one of the episodes focusing on Jar Jar, kids love that

@"Moe_Syzlak" Malevolence is S1E2, 3 & 4.

For the rest of the show I recommend William Aguilar’s modified chronological order he made for HelloGreedo which you can find here:

Blue arcs are the most popular ones of the series. I also really like the Second Battle of Geonosis.

Again, I recommend Malevolence. Domino Squad is also great but if you want a more well-known heroes/Jedi start to the series I think Malevolence is perfect.

Does anyone know why the Disney+ 20 episodes to watch before season 7 completely excludes season 6?

Moe_Syzlak said:
Does anyone know why the Disney+ 20 episodes to watch before season 7 completely excludes season 6?

I remember it was a big deal when Netflix released season 6, they called it the lost season. Maybe Netflix has exclusive rights for a while?

Edit: ignore that part, I misunderstood the question. I'm leaving it, but crossed out. Maybe the list is catered to people who have a box set that doesn't include season 6?

Moe_Syzlak said:

I believe it has to do with Ahsoka not being a part of Season 6 and very prominent in Season 7. Those 20 episodes are very Ahsoka centric for the most part. 

I'm posting a list of 64 episodes (which, by chance, with the 12 episodes from the last season makes 74, exactly the number of episodes Star Wars Rebels has) for who wants to marathon the best arcs leading up to the final season. 

EDIT: To be in chronological order.

1. Clone Cadets (3.01)
  2. Rising Malevolence (1.02)
  3. Shadow of Malevolence (1.03)
  4. Destroy Malevolence (1.04)
  5. Rookies (1.05)
  6. Cloak of Darkness (1.09) 
  7. Storm Over Ryloth (1.19)
  8. Innocents of Ryloth (1.20)
  9. Liberty on Ryloth (1.21)
  10. Holocron Heist (2.01)
  11. Cargo of Doom (2.02)
  12. Children of the Force (2.03)
  13. Senate Spy (2.04) 
  14. Landing at Point Rain (2.05)
  15. Weapons Factory (2.06)
  16. Legacy of Terror (2.07)
  17. Brain Invaders (2.08)
  18. The Mandalore Plot (2.12)
  19. Voyage of Temptation (2.13)
  20. Duchess of Mandalore (2.14)
  21. ARC Troopers (3.02)
  22. Heroes on Both Sides (3.10)
  23. Pursuit of Peace (3.11)
  24. Nightsisters (3.12)
  25. Monster (3.13)
  26. Witches of the Mist (3.14)
  27. The Citadel (3.18)
  28. Counter Attack (3.19)
  29. Citadel Rescue (3.20)
  30. Darkness on Umbara (4.07)
  31. The General (4.08)
  32. Plan of Dissent (4.09)
  33. Carnage of Krell (4.10)
  34. A Friend in Need (4.14)
  35. Deception (4.15)
  36. Friends and Enemies (4.16)
  37. The Box (4.17)
  38. Crisis on Naboo (4.18)
  39. Massacre (4.19)
  40. Bounty (4.20)
  41. Brothers (4.21)
  42. Revenge (4.22)
  43. A War on Two Fronts (5.02)
  44. Front Runners (5.03)
  45. The Soft War (5.04)
  46. Tipping Points (5.05) 
  47. Revival (5.01)
  48. Eminence (5.14)
  49. Shades of Reason (5.15)
  50. The Lawless (5.16)
  51. Sabotage (5.17)
  52. The Jedi Who Knew Too Much (5.18)
  53. To Catch a Jedi (5.19)
  54. The Wrong Jedi (5.20)
  55. The Unknown (6.01)
  56. Conspiracy (6.02)
  57. Fugitive (6.03)
  58. Orders (6.04)
  59. The Lost One (6.10)
  60. Voices (6.11)
  61. Destiny (6.12)
  62. Sacrifice (6.13)
  63. The Bad Batch (7.01)
  64. A Distant Echo (7.02)
  65. On the Wings of Keeradaks (7.03)
  66. Unfinished Business (7.04)
  67. Gone with a Trace (7.05)
  68. Deal No Deal (7.06)
  69. Dangerous Debt (7.07)
  70. Together Again (7.08)
  71. Old Friends Not Forgotten (7.09)
  72. The Phantom Apprentice (7.10)
  73. Shattered (7.11)
  74. Victory and Death (7.12)

Moe_Syzlak said:

I appreciate the answers and I’m watching Canon Editor’s season six recommendations. If I may propose an answer to my own question. It seems that maybe the season six storyline was leading up to the Lucas authored ST story treatment. Is that possible? It seems the timing would be almost right. And the Yoda episodes with the communing with the midichlorians world seems to coincide with the little we know about the Lucas story treatment. Perhaps the storylines of season six are being downplayed because the overall story didn’t go as originally planned? I haven’t seen any of season 7 yet though, so I defer to those that have.

Maul these last few episodes:
2212cf6805de5ce0dfa168807775785417003d8f11fa2b39b70faa9e9cc2f81bae1d60c1ca06c170f9e9c2fe008e7205b2c379f5862264e3d9ca45d075244af5

So I've just used a free trial of Disney+ purely to watch this final season. First arc was fine. Second was incredibly meh. But holy cow... Those last four episodes are probably the most I've enjoyed Star Wars since... Maybe TFA?! Insane considering I was rather hot and cold on the series when it first started. I feel like the sequel trilogy would've turned out much better if the creative folks from these shows were involved even if only in a limited capacity. The show has a whole still isn't perfect, but boy oh boy when it hits those highs, it really soars! Anyone else caught up with it all yet?

I'm using my essential episodes list to lead up to the final two seasons which I have yet to see! 
I'm glad you enjoyed the last arc so much. I agree the series as a whole is great. I'll let you know my opinion once I get to the end!

In quarantine I’m planning to show my mom the most important arcs she hasn’t seen before moving to Rebels which we both haven’t seen. Kinda to prepare for Mando Season 2 where Ahsoka is going to be a part of apparently.

So I made a list of arcs she hasn’t seen which I thought are important/best ofs before moving to Rebels. (She’s seen smudger’s Rise of the Dark Side, first forty minutes of Smudger’s Army of the Republic, the Mandalore Civil War, and the Yoda episodes)

I ended up with 66 episodes. How appropriate. That’s how I knew my list was right.

The last four episodes were great. I need to find a good list of episodes focusing just on the Ahsoka story arc and re-watch the the series in abbreviated form. I like the show overall but so much of it is filler or just bad.

asterixsmeagol said:
The last four episodes were great. I need to find a good list of episodes focusing just on the Ahsoka story arc and re-watch the the series in abbreviated form. I like the show overall but so much of it is filler or just bad.

If you want, I can share my essential list (it's revised since last time), or I could even narrow down to just the Ahsoka arcs. I split every season into 13-episode shorter seasons, by choosing not only the best episodes but the ones that actively play a part in our main characters' arcs and relationships, hence creating actual seasons... but without the fluff of the lesser or the more uninfluential episodes. I have to say, it's working surprisingly well until now. 

Anyone interested, let me know by PM, I'd be happy to share!

Canon Editor said:
.. narrow down to just the Ahsoka arcs...

Anyone interested, let me know by PM, I'd be happy to share!

I'd like to see that, any chance you would post it publicly? I'm curious if a more focused experience with the show will make me like it more.

Essential The Clone Wars episodes list (with attention to character arcs and plot points). 

Updated and definitive list in further post (page 4, post #39).

I really liked the last arc of the show, just wish this had happened before they got started on Rebels. Knowing which characters made it out alive kinda ruined the tension for me, even if I liked the story as a whole.

Going through my list, I completely removed the Kadavo arc from memory (4.11-4.12-4.13) and didn't remember how good and significant it was. For anyone wanting to amplify the season 4 list to 16 episodes, that is absolutely essential.

I finally finished my The Clone Wars rewatch, and I had an absolute blast. The final seasons (especially the last arc) was unbelievable. 
The series as a whole is wonderful. It manages to be well written, well directed, beautiful aesthetically and profound both on an emotional level and on a thematic level for the rest of the saga as well as on its own terms. 

Now that I have seen it all, here's my definitive essential episode viewing of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Notes going in: this list does not take the episodes into account just for the sake of them being good episodes, and viceversa. I put this list together to have an alternate, albeit complete viewing order for the series. Therefore, as I went through it, I took into account which characters were introduced where, if they could be introduced later (see: Boba Fett) or otherwise and which episodes had payoff or mentions further down the line. In short, this is a sort of "what-if" the series had shorter seasons. I've added some notes along with it to explain some of the decisions which, at first, may appear unclear. 
Here we go. 

Season 1:
  1. The New Padawan (1.00) (First 20 minutes of The Clone Wars theatrical movie) 
  2. Clone Cadets (3.01) (introduces the Cadets) 
  3. Rising Malevolence (1.02) (first Ahsoka mission, essential to her and Anakin's relationship) 
  4. Shadow of Malevolence (1.03)
  5. Destroy Malevolence (1.04)
  6. Rookies (1.05) (continues the Cadets' story) 
  7. Cloak of Darkness (1.09) (introduces Ventress) 
  8. Lair of Grievous (1.10) (continuation of prievous episode, essential for Grievous character) 
  9. Dooku Captured (1.11) (introduces Hondo, the arc has payoff in season 5) 
  10. Gungan General (1.12) 
  11. Jedi Crash (1.13) (Anakin learns to trust Ahsoka who takes charge of the team and learns an important lesson) 
  12. Defenders of Peace (1.14) 
  13. Storm Over Ryloth (1.19) (good arc for Ahsoka and the clones' development) 
  14. Innocents of Ryloth (1.20) 
  15. Liberty on Ryloth (1.21) 

Season 2:
  1. Holocron Heist (2.01) 
  2. Cargo of Doom (2.02)
  3. Children of the Force (2.03)
  4. Senate Spy (2.04) (introduces Clovis, prequel to Geonosis arc) 
  5. Landing at Point Rain (2.05) 
  6. Weapons Factory (2.06)
  7. Legacy of Terror (2.07)
  8. Brain Invaders (2.08)
  9. Grievous Intrigue (2.09) (prequel to next episode, essential for Rex) 
  10. The Deserter (2.10)
  11. Lightsaber Lost (2.11) (introduction to a Jedi character and important lesson for Ahsoka, minor payoff in season 5) 
  12. The Mandalore Plot (2.12) 
  13. Voyage of Temptation (2.13)
  14. Duchess of Mandalore (2.14)
  15. Bounty Hunters (2.17) (introduces Embo and the team; payoff throughout the series and in season 4 finale, small payoff in season 4 finale)  

Season 3:
  1. ARC Troopers (3.02) (continues the Cadets' story) 
  2. Corruption (3.05) (Ahsoka on mission on Mandalore) 
  3. The Academy (3.06)
  4. Heroes on Both Sides (3.10) (introduces Lux Bonteri) 
  5. Pursuit of Peace (3.11) 
  6. Senate Murders (2.15) (conclusion of the Heroes on Both Sides arc) 
  7. Nightsisters (3.12) 
  8. Monster (3.13) 
  9. Witches of the Mist (3.14)
  10. Overlords (3.15) (this is the only episode of this arc because it is referred to in season 6, it is self-contained while the other two in the arc are not and works perfectly on its own) 
  11. The Citadel (3.18)
  12. Counter Attack (3.19)
  13. Citadel Rescue (3.20)
  14. Padawan Lost (3.21) (Ahsoka learns leadership, essential for season 5 and Rebels) 
  15. Wookiee Hunt (3.22) (payoff from season 2 episode "Bounty Hunters") 

Season 4:
  1. Darkness on Umbara (4.07) (essential arc for Rex, the clones and a deeper understanding of the war) 
  2. The General (4.08)
  3. Plan of Dissent (4.09)
  4. Carnage of Krell (4.10) 
  5. Kidnapped (4.11) (essential arc for Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka) 
  6. Slaves of the Republic (4.12)
  7. Escape form Kadavo (4.13)
  8. A Friend in Need (4.14) (continuation of Lux's arc) 
  9. Deception (4.15)
  10. Friends and Enemies (4.16)
  11. The Box (4.17)
  12. Crisis on Naboo (4.18)
  13. Massacre (4.19)
  14. Bounty (4.20) (continuation of Ventress' arc and major appearance by Boba Fett) 
  15. Brothers (4.21)
  16. Revenge (4.22)

Season 5:
  1. A War on Two Fronts (5.02) (payoff for Lux, important arc for Ahsoka) 
  2. Front Runners (5.03)
  3. The Soft War (5.04)
  4. Tipping Points (5.05)
  5. The Gathering (5.06)
  6. A Test of Strength (5.07)
  7. Bound for Rescue (5.08)
  8. A Necessary Bond (5.09) (payoff of Dooku-Hondo relationship) 
  9. Revival (5.01)
  10. Eminence (5.14)
  11. Shades of Reason (5.15)
  12. The Lawless (5.16)
  13. Sabotage (5.17)
  14. The Jedi Who Knew Too Much (5.18)
  15. To Catch a Jedi (5.19)
  16. The Wrong Jedi (5.20)

Season 6:
  1. The Unknown (6.01) (sort-of continuation of Cadets' arc and essential viewing before season 7) 
  2. Conspiracy (6.02)
  3. Fugitive (6.03)
  4. Orders (6.04)
  5. An Old Friend (6.05) (payoff for Clovis and essential to Anakin-Padmé relationship) 
  6. The Rise of Clovis (6.06)
  7. Crisis at the Heart (6.07)
  8. The Disappeared, Part I (6.08)
  9. The Disappeared, Part II (6.09) (less important but these two are a sendoff for Mother Talzin) 
  10. The Lost One (6.10) 
  11. Voices (6.11)
  12. Destiny (6.12)
  13. Sacrifice (6.13)

Season 7:
  1. The Bad Batch (7.01) 
  2. A Distant Echo (7.02)
  3. On the Wings of Keeradaks (7.03)
  4. Unfinished Business (7.04)
  5. Gone with a Trace (7.05) (important in Ahsoka's development) 
  6. Deal No Deal (7.06)
  7. Dangerous Debt (7.07)
  8. Together Again (7.08)
  9. Old Friends Not Forgotten (7.09)
  10. The Phantom Apprentice (7.10)
  11. Shattered (7.11)
  12. Victory and Death (7.12)

Thanks so much for sharing that comprehensive list, Canon Editor!

I kind of wish the first 20 minutes of the CW movie was available as a standalone episode, as that would make a much better introduction.

So, I've struggled over the years to enjoy this show, watched maybe a dozen or so episodes, but just couldn't get into it no matter how much I tried. Still, the lure of those last four episodes drew me in. And they were AMAZING. This is not only the best that Clone Wars has ever been, I actually felt the emotional impact of the events of the prequel trilogy for the first time EVER. When I first heard George Lucas was going to make those stories 25 years ago, THIS is what I was looking for. 

First, I loved the revised opening theme. The old-school Lucasfilm logo. The blood-red title card. The Star Wars theme by John Williams instead of the CW theme by Kevin Kiner. The lack of the "fortune cookies" (which, to me, always felt trite). We haven't even gotten to the story yet, and already I've got chills!

In the first battle, Anakin's seemingly reckless confidence was fantastic. This is finally somebody that I could see being charismatic enough to command the attention of his peers, yet arrogant enough to show the hints of his eventual fall. Also: "You did great, too, Obi-Wan. Your cowering in fear totally sold them on my fake surrender." HA! Hilarious!

Although I never really connected with Anakin and Ahsoka until now, I believed in their friendship here, and the brokenness of it was deeply affecting. The stuff with the clones and Captain Rex honoring Ahsoka upon her return was great, too.

To be honest, I was expecting a lot of scenes of Revenge of the Sith played out again from a slightly different angle/perspective. To my surprise, they didn't go there, but in retrospect, it made sense that they didn't waste time giving us the same thing we've already seen. The tight focus on Ahsoka and Rex drove the narrative very well. And there were those brief moments where the story did intersect with the main plot, just to keep us on track.

I'm glad we finally got a direct explanation for what Order 66 was. Not that it was too hard to guess, but such an important turning point seemed rather glossed over in RotS, so I was grateful for a bit more continuity here.

It did seem like a bit of a missed opportunity not to make the main brainwashed clone trooper someone that we had a deep connection to from earlier episodes. It would have made it much more devastating to see someone like that turn on the characters we like, and would have aided in our sympathy when Ashoka says she doesn't want to kill them. But people who have seen the whole series said they barely remember Jessie from other episodes. But that's just a quibble.

Maul has never been better. Thoroughly intimidating, yet given a depth I've never seen before, and actually put in a scenario where we can oddly sympathize with him! Ahsoka shouldn't join him, of course, but he was telling the truth about Darth Sidious, and he did serve as an effective distraction for Ahsoka's escape. The scene where he's taking out the clone troopers in the hallway was amazing. Why is Maul so much better at this than the Jedi masters were?

Also, Ahsoka's and Maul's duel was motion-captured, and Lucasfilm got Ray Park back to do Maul's movements!

The final scene with Vader was beautiful. No dialogue was used or needed; the visuals and the music were enough to carry us along.

Anyone else think that Vader was on Hoth? It sure looked like that, but it wasn't identified in the episode, and the wikis just refer to it as "a moon" instead of a planet.

Instead of starting with a theatrical movie back in 2008, maybe Dave Filoni and co. should have built to these last four episodes and then released these as a movie. Of course, it's probably just as well since going to the movies wasn't an option by the time the episodes were released, but in theory, it could have been very impactful. 

Another random thought: Since the Genndy Tartakovsky series built right up to the opening shot of RotS, I was afraid that the new show would contradict it. But it didn't! In some way, the GT series could probably fit. 

For me, the most essential storylines are probably:

The New Padawan
Ambush (just a great, fun episode)
The Hidden Enemy (I should probably work in some Rex stories here, but I don't know which ones yet. I'll have to use Canon Editor's guide above to try to find the right ones.)
The Mandalore arc w/Satine from Season 2
The introduction of Savage Oppress from Season 3 (I haven't seen this yet, but just so we know who he is when he rescues his brother)
The return of Darth Maul in Season 4 (Canon Editor, when does he get his normal legs back?)
The return of Satine in the new Mandalore arc in Season 5 (I haven't seen it, but I know what happens)
The final arc of Season 5, when Ahsoka leaves
The Yoda arc from the end of Season 6 (I haven't seen this yet either, but I heard it's great)
The last four episodes of Season 7

And then I need to figure out which essential episodes of Rebels to watch, to wrap up Maul's arc and to get resolution on the Vader/Ashoka relationship. (Sadly, it sounds like Asajj Ventriss' story is wrapped up in a novel rather than on any show, which is why I didn't focus on any episodes with her.)

Anyway, a big thank-you to Dave Filoni and crew for wrapping things up in a spectacular fashion!

(waves hand like Ben Kenobi in ANH) This is the Star Wars I've been looking for.

Back
Top Bottom