• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Clone Wars: Refocused [Complete] + Season one subtitles!

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RELEASED - s03e02 - REVIVAL
Notes as above, download link in the tracker spreadsheet, PM for access to the tracker spreadsheet.

Last edited:

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm. I'm just coming to polish up my s02e05b Assassin. Much like Lightsaber Lost, this isn't one of my Quality Cut episodes (my 'recommended TCW:R canon') but it is one that I'll include as a bonus for people who want as much SW as they can get, whetever the quality. I used a scene from Assassin in my s02e05 Corruption on Mandalore episode, so I've trimmed that out of this version so the two episodes don't clash, and that's basically all I planned to do here.

But I'm faced now with a dilemma. Ziro the Hutt doesn't appear in any version of TCW:R now, with all of his episodes either relegated to being completely ignored, or in a couple of places chopped up for spare parts and used elsewhere, like my Cad Bane arc. But Assassin ends with the reveal that Ziro was behind it all.

I have two options here:
1) Just end on Ahsoka's return to Coruscant and the beat of "we don't know who did this", with some context in the opening text to vaguely imply Padmé's many enemies (which'll be developed later chronologically in my s03e01 The Politics of War episode)
2) Maintain the Ziro ending, and don't worry that he doesn't appear before or after this episode, so he's implicitly just some minor criminal with a grudge. I could use the intro text to give a bit of extra context there, though getting explicit about Ziro would give away the 'reveal' and it wouldn't be very impactful.

I don't mind too much either way, since this isn't an important episode to my edit, it's just one I'm including as a bonus for people who already know they like this one.

What do you guys think?

SIUse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally i think, it would just work fine with option 1. Builds a little suspense for padmes political arc, even if only briefly.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I think that's probably cleanest, especially since we do return to Padmé quite soon after this episode.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

RELEASED - S02E05-B - ASSASSIN​

This is not part of my Quality Cut, which is my recommended way to watch the series. Instead this episode is just part of the Complete Cut, for people who want everything except for the most objectionable content. I’ve edited this episode now because I stole one of its scenes to use in a more important episode in my Quality Cut, so I’ve trimmed it out here just so the two episodes don’t clash. I also trimmed the ending with Ziro the Hutt since he doesn’t appear anywhere else in TCW:R, so instead it ends on ambiguity as to who’s behind the assassination. But since in my s03e01 we see how many political enemies she has, we can simply assume it’s one of them.

Link in the tracker spreadsheet, PM me for access to the tracker.

My s03e04 - A Friend in Need is also done and rendering right now!

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

RELEASED - S03E04 - A FRIEND IN NEED​

This is the first episode I’ve not edited in the slightest other than adding all of my usual opening and closing content, so I’m crediting myself only as ‘presented by’. I did think about trimming the R2D2 droid stuff, but it’s good body horror and it’s the good side of plucky/noble R2.

Great episode though, tying our season three opener to the ongoing Mandalorian plot.

Link in the tracker spreadsheet, PM me for access to the tracker.

I'm going to do the Maul Shadow Collective episode next as it's another low-to-no edit and I've got the wind in my sails.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whenever I worry about a thread title being too long, I'll just have to remember this thread.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got a bunch of free time right now so I've decided to keep my momentum up in order to tackle some of the more challenging upcoming episodes. First up now is the Rako Hardeen arc, which I've just reviewed and taken notes on.

What a fun arc! It's one of the purest fun Star Wars arcs in the series, I think. Just a complete romp from beginning to end.

This arc has four episodes:
1. Obi-Wan's death and the Coruscant prison break
2. Obi-Wan, Moralo Eval and Cad Bane being pursued on Nal Hutta
3. The Box on Serenno
4. Moralo's plan being enacted on Naboo

I have one big choice to make, and that's whether to release it as 2x2 episodes or 1x3 episodes, based on whether or not I include The Box episode. Points in favour of the Box are that it's very fun and with good action. Points against are that the arc is already fun and action-packed, and that nothing that happens in the Box is vital, it simply shows some of the decision making behind the crew makeup for the job. It also has little jeopardy, since the characters are either known to survive beyond this point or new. Further, taking out The Box makes this less of an Obi-Wan solo story and more of an Anakin/Obi-Wan Ahsoka story, which I think is a slightly more valuable focus in the long run. The Box also muddies the water a little by making the plan seem less well coordinated and more ad-hoc:
* is it Eval's plan or Dooku's?
* Doesn't Dooku putting Eval in danger risk destroying his own plan?
* Eval betrays Obi-Wan, which seems an unprofessional act for someone so committed to getting this mission right.
* Dooku puts Cad Bane in charge. Why overrule the existing plan? There's even dialogue in the final episode where Cad Bane and Moralo argue about the fact that it was Moralo's plan which Cad Bane executed for him.
So my default here will be to remove that episode, fun as it is.

The other cuts I intend to make are as follows:
* Silence a line when Rako first enters the bar about "midichlorians".
* Otherwise play the entirety of the first episode, with Obi-Wan's death and the Coruscant prison break
* Swipe transition from the escape from Coruscant's airspace into Nal Hutta's arrival, and play the vast majority of the second episode with their pursuit on Nal Hutta by various people including Anakin
* Remove from the second episode the scenes of the first ship purchased by Obi-Wan, his getting kicked out of the group, the tracker, Obi-Wan's capture by the authorities, the destruction of the first ship, reconciliation, and the purchase of the second ship. We'll just have Obi-Wan buy the second ship offscreen. We don't need all that tension between Obi-Wan and Cad Bane since there's already plenty more elsewhere, and it's verging on TOO suspicious here.
* Assuming the above, remove The Box (except the scenes where Anakin is pissed off at the Jedi), instead transitioning from the escape from Nal Hutta into the direct planning on Naboo.
* Play most of the final episode, skipping an initial raid on a warehouse (which adds little), and ending after the assassination attempt is resolved and Anakin and Obi-Wan talk about their issues with these events, rather than playing out the full epilogue.

I think I'll be calling this episode THE DEATH OF OBI-WAN KENOBI, which all viewers will know is untrue, so I figure its boldness will produce some good curiosity here.

I'mma go do all that!

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And that's rendering now. Should take a while as it's my longest yet, at 55:45.

I'm really pleased with how that came out. As fun as The Box episode is, I think this way it plays as a much more focused episode that's tighter on Obi-Wan and especially refocused on Anakin's tension with the Jedi and his relationship with Palpatine.

I added a couple of nice touches I was pleased with too - firstly, I relocated Dooku's Naboo base to the one he uses during other episodes, using establishing shots from Blue Shadow Virus (horrible!) and Shadow Warrior (the best JarJar episode; still horrible!).

Secondly, I added reference to Quinlan Vos as the Jedi who hunted down both Cad Bane and Moralo Eval. Whilst he doesn't appear in my TCW:R, I thought this was a nice way to give him a nod (and inline with his canon appearances). Plus, one scene I'd hoped to include but ultimately had to cut was his fight with Cad Bane, so I think this is a way of flirting with some version of that fun scene, even though it's not a part of TCW:R.

Really excited to share this one with you guys, it's a great romp.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whenever I worry about a thread title being too long, I'll just have to remember this thread.
Glad I could help! ;)

Since I'm releasing episodes, there's a bit more detail to the show's status than just 'in progress' versus 'complete', so I feel like it's helpful to go granular with how many episodes are released for those who are watching the thread, so it's very clear if there's new content or not.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

RELEASED - S03E05 - THE DEATH OF OBI-WAN KENOBI​

Comprising the Rako Hardeen arc. Details as above. Download link in the tracker spreadsheet. PM for access to the spreadsheet.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A little update on my current plans: I was going to refine a little more of S2 following feedback before sticking my teeth into S3, but I've really got the momentum up again right now so I'm veyr eager to spend that momentum on what feels more like forward progress.

So my plan is to finish S3 before returning for more polish on S1 and S2. I also noticed that my S3 is quite Ahsoka-light, so I'm going to pull her Trandoshan arc into S3. That'll also give us a bit of necessary pacing regarding Nal Hutta, the Hutt Council, and Embo, all of which are needed in this batch of episodes because of the Maul episode I've placed near them. So I may do a little reordering.

I've got the next Maul episode (the Shadow Collective) almost done. I was thinking I'd trim the Nal Hutta content (for balance and because it's the weakest and most redundant part of that episode) but I didn't want to turn this into our shortest episode, and I think it's fixed by being paced a little further from the Rako Hardeen arc. So I think I can just finish that off quickly tomorrow. The Trandoshan arc shouldn't be far behind either, as it's a straightforward aggregation that doesn't need much work. And that just leaves the Onderon arc, which is a four-parter where a LOT happens but which retreads a lot of ground, so that one will definitely require a lot of careful thought.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

A GENTLE RESTRUCTURING​

Please be aware I’ve just made a light restructuring to season three. I’ve brought forward the Trandoshan arc from its planned place in my season four, and jiggled round some of the others. There were a few good reasons for this:

1. This season needed more Ahsoka, especially some Ahsoka story regarding more than just her relationship with Lux Bonteri.
  2. The Trandoshan duology is also very similar to the Younglings arc, which also appears in my season four, so it made sense to split them.
  3. This gave us more padding between the earlier and later Lux episodes (all appearing in this season), where he appears a bit more mature.
  4. The Rako Hardeen arc covers a few locations and characters also covered by the Maul Shadow Collective episode, so I wanted to pace them out a little. (Nal Hutta, the Hutt with glasses, Embo)
So now, season three is structured as follows:

1. s03e01 - The Politics of War (from Heroes on Both Sides) - no change
  2. s03e02 - Pirates of the Outer Rim - no change in positioning, just a renaming from ‘Revival’, which is not a theme of the episode.
  3. s03e03 - A Friend in Need - formerly s03e04
  4. s03e04 - The Death of Obi-Wan Kenobi (from the Rako Hardeen arc) - formerly s03e05
  5. s03e05 - Hunted - from the Trandoshan duology - rendering now.
  6. s03e06 - Dissent on Umbara (from the Umbara arc) - formerly s03e03
  7. s03e07 - The Shadow Collective (from Eminence) - rendering now.
  8. s03e08/09 - The Onderon arc, which I’ll be working on later today and tomorrow, and get to you ASAP.
If you have already downloaded those episodes, you need to do the following:

• Rename ‘s03e02-Revival’ to ‘s03e02-Pirates of the Outer Rim’ (and/or wait for me to upload a new version of it with the correct title)
  • Rename ‘s03e03-Dissent on Umbara’ to ‘s03e06-Dissent on Umbara’
  • Rename ‘s03e04-A Friend in Need’ to ‘s03e03-A Friend in Need’
  • Rename ‘s03e05-The Death of Obi-Wan Kenobi’ to ‘s03e04-The Death of Obi-Wan Kenobi’
  • Await the next three episodes eagerly!

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

RELEASED - S03E05 - HUNTED​

Comprising the Trandoshan arc.
Please be aware of the note on reordering the episodes in this season.

I made no changes to this arc beyond aggregation and the removal of Sugi. Sugi in this episode only has a single line and is seen in five shots, she’s the bounty hunter hired as a taxi service for the wookiees. Since she appears in my later s03e07 ‘The Shadow Collective’, I cut her from this mainly so we don’t see her in two very different jobs in such a short space of time.

Download links in the tracker spreadsheet, PM for access to the spreadsheet.

s03e07 The Shadow Collective is uploading now and will be available in a couple of hours.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

RELEASED - S03E07 - THE SHADOW COLLECTIVE​

Comprising Eminence.
Please be aware of the note on reordering the episodes in this season.

I made no changes to this whatsoever, so credit myself only as ‘Presented by’.
I did think about trimming out the Nal Hutta content because I think Don Corleone Hutt is goofy, and wanted to avoid overusing Nal Hutta and Embo this season, but with the restructuring of the season I thought it best to preserve what is otherwise a fairly enjoyable scene.
Download links in the tracker spreadsheet, PM for access to the spreadsheet.

I’m now re-uploading a new version of Revival with the name changed to ‘Pirates of the Outer Rim’.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

RE-RELEASED - S03E02 - PIRATES OF THE OUTER RIM​

Just a new version of what was s03e02 Revival, with the name changed in the file and the video track too.

I’m now re-uploading a new version of The Return of Maul with the name changed to ‘Monsters’.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

RE-RELEASED - S02E06 - MONSTERS​

Just a new version of what was s02e06 The Return of Maul, with the name changed in the file and the video track too.

Onwards to the Onderon arc!

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh and for fun I updated the spreadsheet so now it tracks how much time I’ve cut. As of today:

• I’ve produced 30 episodes
  • The main version of TCW:R, my Quality Cut, is 63% complete
  • I’ve released 17h11m of content
  • I’ve cut 14h12m so far from the original TCW

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right then, that’s the Onderon arc reviewed. This’ll become the finale of season three, also bringing the Lux mini-arc to a close. I don’t think it’s a super strong arc, with fairly low emotional stakes for our main characters, but it does wrap up a few themes of this season, and the presence of Saw Gererra and the initial seeds of rebellion give some value, especially since we revisit Saw’s rebels in the Bad Batch.

Each episode is split from the others by a time skip, so there were a few ways to cut this, but I think thematically it works best as two sets of two episodes.

In my first episode, we’d have the Republic secretly training the rebels, up until the point where the rebels destroy the power generator and begin to win popular support. I think I’d trim out the droid attack in the jungle, the entrance to the city, and a little of the montage sequence, just to get us from training to the first (clumsy) rebel action in a bit more of a streamlined way. I’ll keep all of the training since it’s decent character work and one of the main things referenced in the Bad Batch. This’ll probably end up around 40 mins.

In my second episode, we’d have the conflict between the two kings, the popular uprising, and the separatist attack on the rebel encampment. I think the split works well here because at the start of episode three of the original quadrilogy the rebels appear much more competent. There’s not much to cut here, though I will look for a few trims because to me this episode does feel a bit slow. I’ll shuffle around the scenes of the Separatist king a little between my first and second episode, so that it’s only this episode which has the focus on the Separatist angle and the internal politics, and to remove a little redundancy. I’ll trim one scene of Hondo where we see his base, because in my chronology it’s destroyed (or under repair) at this time and I don’t want to mention that in my opening text as it’ll spoil his suprise arrival. That scene can be cut without impact though, as it’s explained in dialogue around it exactly what’s happening/happened. This’ll probably end up around 50 mins.

Top Bottom