• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Clone Wars: Refocused [Complete] + Season one subtitles!

Updated the OP a little for clarity and detail - especially for expanded detail on the episodes that have already been released and the changelog.

PRESENTATION EXAMPLE:

To give the series more of a sense of confidence and maturity of presentation, and bring it up to a higher standard of polish, as well as to allow myself flexibility to recontextualise the content, I've completely redesigned all of the intros and outros. This means modern franchise logos, intro text, end credits over concept art (like the Mandalorian), and new custom music mixes to better suit the show's tone. You can see all of that, and the cold open (which only appears in my first episode) here.
Wow. This was GREAT! I appreciated it so much. Taking cues from both the later Disney+ series, and even the later CW itself. Kevin Kiner's version of the theme never quite did it for me, and I found the "fortune cookies" a bit grating ("Let us tell you what moral to take from the story before you even watch it!"). This is so much smoother and more polished.

I'm also very much in the target audience for this. I love Star Wars, and so many other Star Wars fans I know love this series, but I just can't get into it. The last 4 episodes were amazing, but they don't work in a vacuum. Watching earlier episodes had helped to give them context, but I couldn't recommend the series to others when I hadn't liked much of the stuff that led up to that final arc. This may be the droids--I mean, fan edit--I'm looking for. :)

My wife in particular might be interested in the Mandalorian Cut, once it's all ready.

Maybe when you're done with this, you can do a quick edit of Rebels for the essential stuff, too!

I'm glad you liked it! It definitely seems like presenting the show like this has had the intended effect for a lot of people. I was pleasantly validated by some of the changes to TCW's format that Bad Batch made, too. Since Bad Batch had a different 'franchise logo' (the red/blue droid heads/helmets) to Mandalorian, I'm considering making an all-new one just for TCW which merges the two, highlighting the elements which are core to TCW (mainly using the Bad Batch elements plus Din Djarin's helmet for the Mando angle).

I'd hope that you would enjoy this! Since each season breaks quite cleanly, you might prefer to watch it season-by-season, rather than waiting until it's all done. Ten episodes per batch is a bit more digestible than one batch of 50.

I have considered thinking about Rebels after TCW, though that would probably be more light touch - perhaps replacing a handful of episodes with edited versions rather than producing an all-new show where every episode goes through the editing pipeline. I've also thought about touching Resistance too, but that's further away. That said, I've been working on TCW:R non-stop since I had the idea back last November (30 episodes in 7 months ain't bad!) but once I'm done I'll certainly want to take a break!

To give the series more of a sense of confidence and maturity of presentation, and bring it up to a higher standard of polish, as well as to allow myself flexibility to recontextualise the content, I've completely redesigned all of the intros and outros. This means modern franchise logos, intro text, end credits over concept art (like the Mandalorian), and new custom music mixes to better suit the show's tone. You can see all of that, and the cold open (which only appears in my first episode) here.
I love it!

All this positive feedback on the presentation demo reminds me that I must credit McFibb over at OT.com for his work on the music. He produced the arrangements for both the opening and closing music, and I love both tracks. (I credit him in every episode too but he deserves it here also!)

RELEASED - s03e00 (v2.0) - TALES OF THE CLONE WARS
33m16s.
This is a bonus episode, part of the Continuity Cut (for those who want maximum connective tissue), but not vital.
Comprising the Mon Cala, Dantooine and Ilum plots from the Tartakovsky microseries (as in v1.1), but now including five Forces of Destiny shorts: 104 Padawan Path, 106 Imposter Inside, 111 Teach You I Will, 112 Starfighter Stunt, and 202 Unexpected Company.
Most notably it features some key steps for Ahsoka that bridge my seasons two and three, and builds on the relationship between Ahsoka and Padmé.
Idea by Delpheas over at OT.com
Notes as above, link in the tracker spreadsheet (a bit lower down so scroll down for it), PM for access to the spreadsheet.

Next up, Onderon to complete season three!

I finally got around to starting this series. Episode 1 was pretty rad, you did a great job at cutting the movie down to the essentials without it feeling rushed, and the tease at the beginning has me enticed.
I've not watched The Clone Wars, I've caught some bits and pieces here and there, I'm mainly familiar with it from friends and family who've watched it. So past the movie, everything is pretty much new to me, aside from knowing about general events that occur.
I won't post here after every episode, but I'll check back in when I've watched a decent chunk of the series.

Thanks! Episode one is still one of my weakest episodes, mainly since it's cobbled together from hot garbage. Malevolence and Cloak of Darkness are both fairly weak too, I'd say. But all three of those are (1) necessary for Ahsoka's development and (2) at least better than the original presentation.

Jrzag, what did you think about the Bail Organa scenes in episode one? Did it feel like they belonged?

Thanks! Episode one is still one of my weakest episodes, mainly since it's cobbled together from hot garbage. Malevolence and Cloak of Darkness are both fairly weak too, I'd say. But all three of those are (1) necessary for Ahsoka's development and (2) at least better than the original presentation.

Jrzag, what did you think about the Bail Organa scenes in episode one? Did it feel like they belonged?
The Bail Organa scenes worked just fine, they didn't feel out of place at all in my opinion.

I would totally be willing to check this out as well! I watched the full series as it was originally aired, then rewatched in chronological order (skipping various episodes that I felt were unnecessary) in advance of the final season release. However, I hated going through that process of constantly checking the list to be sure I was watching the right episode.

Good progress on the Onderon arc today, it's nearly done.

I've finished the cuts for the first episode, getting the meat down shorter than expected to about 30 minutes. Since the first of my episodes contains the first two episodes of the original arc, we didn't need the scene where they get attacked to prove their growing skill, as they successfully carry out the strike on the power generator now in my first episode's second half. I've preserved almost all of Ahsoka's jealousy, except for one scene I had to trim just to get the rebels from finishing their training transitioning into their move on the capital city. I also cut Saw being jealous of Steela - instead, when she's voted as their leader, he celebrates.

The second of my episodes will probably remain quite long, since I can't really find any content that needs cutting. I'm not a huge fan of this because I think the quality of the content doesn't quite warrant a 50-minute runtime, but I don't think I have an option here.

The main change I've made between the original presentation of this arc and my own is that I've moved all scenes of the kings into the second episode only. So the first episode purely focuses on the training and first success of the rebels, and will thus be called REBELS OF ONDERON. I've then moved the kings into the second episode, with a bit of dialogue modification, so that one then focuses entirely on the kings and their generals (and the rebellion), and will thus be called KINGS OF ONDERON.

I'm not sure exactly when I'll have this finished, but it should be earlyish next week.

Right! Of my Onderon arc, the first part (Rebels of Onderon) is rendering now, and I just need to put the presentation polish on the second half (Kings of Onderon) so that shouldn't be far behind.

I'm glad, because in the end I did manage to find some trims to my second episode:

Firstly, I sped up the transition between the rescue in the royal square and the arrival back in the wilderness, so that now having saved the King the rebels immediately flee the city, rather than conducting a few more operations within it first over a number of days. The action now happens over a single day, with King Rash immediately pursuing them into the wilderness with his full force, so it feels a lot more tense.

Secondly, as much as I love Hondo, I removed him altogether. Previously the attack on the rebel base was conducted in phases, with enough downtime during them for Ahsoka to call Anakin, Anakin to fly to Felucia, Hondo to fly to Onderon, and Ahsoka to distribute the rockets. This added implied hours to the battle. Now, the rebels already have the anti-air rockets, and once their own assumed air superiority gets challenged by the new droid airships, they quickly move to fetch and distribute the guns. It's no less tense, and this worked out suprisingly smoothly. There's still a good amount of battle though since it's a visually interesting one in an otherwise quite political episode.

As always in line with my editing goals, I strove to retain all of the emotional beats and character work, whilst keeping the jeopardy high and the pacing quite tight.

I watched the first episode and saw a couple of instances of flash frames in the second half. One was a black frame and another was during the main battle where you see Anakin/Ahsoka in a different place altogether.

The opening sequence felt a little clunky. I know you're using it to introduce Asajj but it feels like the end of an episode we didn't see and clashes with the introduction of the main heroes we see a little later. Otherwise, I thought this was solid and I love love love your opening and closing credits.

I'll check those frames, thank you. Yes, the opening isn't ideal - really it follows on from the Tartakovsky introduction to Ventress rather than standing alone. My first episode is easily my weakest, and I'm also not a huge fan of my Malevolence and Cloak of Darkness episodes, though I still feel like they're necessary and that I've done as much as I can with them, give or take the odd tweak. The rest I'm very happy with though. Please keep your feedback coming!

SEASON THREE COMPLETE!

-thanks to the releases today of-

RELEASED - S03E08 - REBELS OF ONDERON​

32m50s. Comprising the first two episodes of the Onderon arc, notes as above.

RELEASED - S03E09 - KINGS OF ONDERON​

36m28s. Comprising the final two episodes of the Onderon arc, notes as above.

Download link in the tracker spreadsheet, PM me for access.

And don’t forget to check out the new s03e00 bonus episode (v2.0) which transitions us from season two into season three via some Tartakovsky microseries episodes and some Forces of Destiny shorts if you’re interested. Huge thanks to Delpheas for the idea and support here.

As always, thank you all for the ideas, support, feedback and refinements along the way.

I’m interested in feedback on how this season flows as a whole - especially in terms of the balance between Ahsoka, Maul, and the other mains. This season contains all the Lux Bonteri episodes so I’m curious about how it feels with that focus.

Next up will be another short break before I do a large polish pass of the first two seasons, before diving into our season four premiere where Maul finally takes Mandalore.

So having completed season three, I've been conducting a major polish pass of the early content, and I've taken this opportunity to refine some of the standard elements of my edits, most notably the transition wipes, and the intros and outros.

NEW INTRO
This features a polished franchise credit to bring the tone closer to the content of TCW.

NEW OUTRO
This features updated timings for the credits elements, and refinements to the credits text.

I'm also working on the season ordering, to better pace and flow the characters, and using the opportunity to tell a slightly tighter seasonal narrative episode-by-episode. For example, the first season will better focus on establishing the primary antagonists, and show the Separatists as having a more competent and aggressive military strategy, up until the finale where the Republic finally establish their foothold in the war.

EDIT COMPLETE AND AVAILABLE NOW!
Having spent a good couple of years collaborating on this project with the good folks over on OriginalTrilogy.com, I'm very pleased to announced that this edit is now complete and fully polished. Feel free to PM me for access to the tracker spreadsheet, which contains links and detail for all of the episodes.

As one of the "Good folks over on OriginalTrilogy.com", I am fully willing to vouch for this edit. The editing quality is almost professional, and it does a great job at keeping the best parts of the show while removing everything that doesn't work. If the moderators are willing to examine Eddie's edit for IFDB approval, me and a lot of OriginalTrilogy users would greatly appreciate it.

I've seen the first few episodes and it's indeed really great work. If I wanted to introduce a skeptical friend to the series this is the format I would choose.

Back
Top Bottom