• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Cell - Scary As Hell Edition

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And here we have another nice edit by 3Raz0r. Overall a great improvement. Although some things still bothered me that I think could have easily been remedied. I'll try to break things down a bit

Video:
Very nice. The video was quite crisp. Perhaps a tiny stutter on some motion, but never distracting. I would still give this a 5 of 5

Audio:
Again, quite nice. I noticed no cuts, and it flowed and sounded great. 5 of 5 here

DVD:
great menus and design. truly artistic. a nice completion to the edit, and I always appreciate this extra care. 5 of 5 easy

Storytelling:
This is where I can not give this edit a 5. I will give it a 4 (generously) Granted this is a big improvement, but I saw areas where 3Raz0r could have fixed some more things to make this a really good movie. The Cell will always have a place for me because it is so cool visually, and I know it could have been a great film. 3Raz0r missed a couple opportunities to get closer to great. To start, I felt the plots were way to separated in the beginning. We are introduced to the world of the mind and Catherines story. Then we see the police and the crime plot. Yet we forget all about Catherine until the two plots convene akwardly. It seemed choppy and unnatural. The movie is like this too, but I felt that 3Raz0r could have shown more bits of Catherine and Edward during the police drama to keep us rooted to this fantastic thrilling part of the story. When the two plots do converge it seems odd.

The things that are cut, and the things that are added are great moves, and wise choices. However, some things could have been rearranged to make the story flow. I loved the cutting of the romantic pieces between Catherine and Peter. That was totally not necessary for this film, and was fake and forced. However, the cuts didnt go far enough. At the end where Catherine visits, there is still an odd romantic feeling that doesnt quite fit. The scene is fitting, however some of the emotion could have been trimmed a bit i think.

For all of this, I do not want to sound like I am coming down on the edit. It was a great improvement IMO. Great polishing of a turd that had potential. I highly recommend this edit to all. I do think some of the things I mentioned are quite do-able, and perhaps 3Raz0r will take a 2nd crack at it? who knows.

so great edit. I give it a 4 (a strong 4). Thank you so much 3Raz0r for an enjoyable edit. :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the nice review, ThrowgnCpr.
I went through my files again to check out the things you mentioned and would like to reply:

I felt the plots were way to separated in the beginning. We are introduced to the world of the mind and Catherines story. Then we see the police and the crime plot. Yet we forget all about Catherine until the two plots convene akwardly. It seemed choppy and unnatural.

What I deleted were the scenes involving Edward's parents as well as the first reference to switching to Catherine's mind. But I included another mind entering sequence. Unfortunately I cannot see what you are saying here.
I checked through the fanedit and compared it to the original:
OV: 8 minutes of Catherine / FE: 7 minutes of Catherine
OV and FE: 2 minutes of Carl
OV: 2 minutes of Catherine / FE: 1 minute of Catherine
OV: 6 minutes of Carl and Catherine back and forth / FE: 7 minutes of Catherine and Carl back and forth
OV and FE: 5 minutes of police plot (short intermezzo by Carl)
OV and FE: 2 minutes of Carl
OV and FE: 12 minutes of police plot including connection to mind clinic
and then I included the interrupted mind entering scene, which could not be put anywhere else, because that is what interrupted it.
so, it may be possible that the deleted scene, which I included made you feel differently or made the long police plot and the separation of plots more obvious, but actually this is almost exactly how the original movie plays and I had no problems with it. Another Catherine scene (or one from the beginning) would have destroyed the pacing in my opinion. Carl is the connection. Maybe it would have worked better for you, if I did not include the interruption scene. maybe that is why it was not included in the original.

As for the the scene when Catherine and peter meet in the end... I get you there, but I checked again and there is nothing I can take out from there, which will not compromise the flow. I truly do not like this scene much, but it is the only time that Catherine in my fanedit mentions to switch the hosts, so I needed it exactly for that. The romance is kind of there, but I figured that Catherine and peter were both just complementing each other, when in fact they are both just focused on their work.

So, although I agree to the last scene being a bit unfulfilling it has to be kept the way it is. I am glad though you enjoyed it a bit. Thanks again for the review. :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the response 3raz0r. First I would like to reiterate that I enjoyed this edit. However, I still stick by my review. My comments about the separation of plots in the beginning arent really a comparison to the original. Whether or not your edit is drastically changed from the original version or not, that does not really change how I interpreted the fanedit. I dont necessarily think you needed to add more Catherine scenes, its just that the mixing to me didnt feel right. I think this could have been modified without destroying the pacing. I feel the same way about the ending. But, hey, this is your edit :)

so whats the next project??? ;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tagline: Enter the creepiest mind
original film name: The Cell
new film name : The Cell - Scary As Hell Edition
film studio name : Dimension, New Line
edit crew name : 3Raz0r
Date Original Film Was Released : 11 2000
Date Edit Was Released : 06 2008
Original Runtime : 107 minutes
New Runtime : 94
Amount of time Cut/Added : about 22 minutes cut / 9 minutes added

Fanedit synopsis:
This is the Scary As Hell edition of THE CELL. Enter the mind of a serial killer, of a deranged mind to save a girl from certain death. This movie deserved a fanedit to improve its impact.

Cuts removed/added/extended :

* - deleted Edward's parents and every mentioning of them
* - deleted the Gish story
* - deleted repeating bloodbath dog
* - deleted the beginning of Catherine entering Carl's mind the 2nd time
* - deleted Catherine touching demon Carl
* - deleted the beginning of Peter Novak entering Carl's mind
* - deleted the entire scene of Catherine making Carl entering her mind

* - added extended necrophilia scene
* - added interrupted Edward mind entering scene
* - added Gordon Ramsey's second thoughts
* - added meat dish to bathtub scene

Fanedit details :
The Cell was a visually stunning movie, yet it left me kind of unimpressed with the story, although it had all the contents of becoming a legendary horror movie. But it wasn't. The reason for that is quite simply that it was too over the top with the mind entering scenes. There is a point for me as the audience, when it all gets too much, when everything is possible - that is the same point, when my entertainment dies. I always wanted to make this a scarier movie and when i watched it again, i finally discovered, how this could be achieved: most of all by getting rid of the scene, in which Catherine kills Carl, when he is inside her mind. This entire scene was neither thrilling nor plotwise necessary, it was rather confusing and seemed to just be created to finish a plot and put some more emotion to the rather cold characters in a rather cold story. I also deleted quite some of the scenes of Catherine talking to peter, because the intention seemed to be to make them kidn of a loving couple, which they never were, they always kept the distance. And I improved that to be way more clear about their relationship to each other. Peter and Catherine are both totally focused on their work and in neither of their worlds is a place for a relationship. I added some additional gore scenes, especially the extended necrophilia scene, because it is too great to be just a deleted scene.

Your intention for this fanedit:
Make it more convincing and scarier.

Your way to achieve your intention:
Slicing, cutting, removing, moving, splitting, cursing, taking millions of breaks, crying, swearing, stabbing, re-creating, recreating recreations, staying calm, trying to stay calm, focusing, concentrating, smoking, drinking, sleeping, re-arranging, searching for sound files, giving up, getting on it again, finishing.

DVD Details:

* NTSC 2.35:1 presented in 16:9 Widescreen
* English audio only, Dolby 5.1 AC3
* Act selection
* Bonus scene: The Killing of Carl (fully fanedited) (10minutes)
* 3Raz0r info

Hardware and software information :
My nice computer. His name is Dofudome (don't fucking die on me).
Software: Womble. Vegas. Goldwave. Besweet. DVD LAB PRO. Pro Show Gold.

Additional Comment:
Never give up. Never surrender.
Who am I?
I am 3Raz0r, I like horror movies and I dig fanedits.

Time needed for the edition: 1 week
persons involved: my beautiful self

the_cell.scary_as_hell_preview.jpg

http://fanedit.org/526/

Top Bottom