• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Breakfast Club - The John Hugues Extended Edition

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

John Hughes' first cut of Breakfast Club was 2 hours and 45 minutes. However, many of the scenes were cut out and the negatives possibly destroyed. John Hughes said in a Premiere magazine interview in December 1999 that he had the only complete copy of The Breakfast Club on film.

"The rough cut was about two hours and 45 minutes, but Dede Allen [the editor] said, "I want you to see your whole film before it gets disassembled and shortened." I loved it and had no idea how we were going to shorten it. Whole sections had to go. I think all the negatives were destroyed. I have the only copy."

Thanks to the Criterion Collection Blu-ray released in 2017, some of the deleted scenes that would have made up that longer version did eventually turn up in the form of special features. The Blu-ray showcases some 50 minutes of alternate, extended and deleted scenes, although the scenes are in a very rough, analog format. This may explain why that this longer cut was never really feasible for any kind of release. That is, until now.

This is probably the closest you'll ever get to see Hughes' original cut of the movie before the studio forced him to cut it down to 97 minutes, a normal length for the type of film it was, at the time it was produced. John Hughes said getting the film greenlit by Universal wasn't easy because the executives complained there were no bare breasts, no party scene, no guys drinking beer, or other things they thought a teenage picture needed at that time.

"KIDS WON'T SIT THROUGH IT, "'DIRECTOR JOHN Hughes recalls studio executives telling him about his detention-as-group-therapy drama, The Breakfast Club. "'There's no action, no party, no nudity.' But what they'd forgotten is that at that age, it often feels just as good to feel bad as it does to feel good."

This longer version presented to you is a fascinating insight into what Hughes had in mind.

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So what length is your edit? Have you compiled a rough cut yet? I’m very interested in this project. And you mentioned the deleted material is very rough, so what quality will your overall edit be? Love your work btw

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This new version is 119 minutes. It's already available at the place that shall not be mentioned.

You can get a glimpse of the roughness of the deleted scenes in my trailer:

And thanks for the kind words, I choose strange projects sometimes but I edit for myself first and foremost. Still, it's nice to see some people enjoying what I do.

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh I am all for editing for yourself. What’s the fun if it’s not a project you are interested in or enjoy enough to fix?

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh I am all for editing for yourself. What’s the fun if it’s not a project you are interested in or enjoy enough to fix?

I absolutely agree. Although I wouldn't say this extended edition fixes the film because Breakfast Club is already damn near perfect and timeless. But it's a great insight into what John Hughes had in mind, there's an additional layer in there that isn't so obvious in the original.

The theatrical shows us the kids vs the institution and Vernon is mostly there as a generic authority figure whereas in the extended cut, we get to see much more of his and Carl the janitor's points of views and life experiences. It gives so much more weight to Andrew's line: "My God, are we gonna be like our parents?" and many other lines in the movie. The perspective shift truly gives the movie a different tone. I really hope the negatives weren't destroyed and that one day we'll be able to see Hughes' vision. Meanwhile, this fanedit is the closest we'll get to that.

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I absolutely agree. Although I wouldn't say this extended edition fixes the film
Oh absolutely not saying this is a fanfix. I was just continuing on the thought of fan editing for personal stuff. It was just an extra example.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think we were both saying the same thing with different words. Glad we agree.

It's funny though how the projects I thought nobody would care about sometimes turned out to be "hits" and others that I though would strike a cord were "flops". I don't expect this fanedit to catch on at all, I didn't even want to release it until @Dwight Fry convinced me to.

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You’re such a talented faneditor. I love all your different projects, so please release as many as you make. I’m sure people will be interested in them!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's funny though how the projects I thought nobody would care about sometimes turned out to be "hits" and others that I though would strike a cord were "flops". I don't expect this fanedit to catch on at all, I didn't even want to release it until @Dwight Fry convinced me to.
Of course I did. I would never, ever, let a Blueyoda edit die in the shadows.

And who knows what will be a hit and what won't. After all, this is The Breakfast Club. Was there ever any more unlikely smash hit than this, the closest thing to improv theater that I have seen in the mainstream? Yet here you have...

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the executives complained there were no bare breasts, no party scene, no guys drinking beer, or other things they thought a teenage picture needed at that time
This is pretty sad tbh that this is the kind of targetting teens get. And I thought the drinking age was 21 in the US lol

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is pretty sad tbh that this is the kind of targetting teens get. And I thought the drinking age was 21 in the US lol

Business logic, I'm sure it made sense to the suits in charge after the success of Animal House and Porky's but I'll still take those over today's woke shit like "Moxie".

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Business logic, I'm sure it made sense to the suits in charge after the success of Animal House and Porky's but I'll still take those over today's woke shit like "Moxie".
heh just watched the Moxie trailer, looks pretty bad. happy to say that Netflix have never got a penny off of me. same people that put out "Cuties" along with endless heaps of other trash.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
heh just watched the Moxie trailer, looks pretty bad. happy to say that Netflix have never got a penny off of me. same people that put out "Cuties" along with endless heaps of other trash.

Moxie is woke forced diversity crap produced by Netflix whereas Cuties was bought by Netflix at Sundance (where it won for Best Director).

Cuties is a touching, thought-provoking coming of age drama which Netflix marketed in the worst possible way. They should have used the original poster instead of the disgusting oversexualized poster they manufactured for the masses. What were they thinking? Cuties won Best Picture at the Berlin International Film Festival, it was a runner-up for the Jury Prize at Sundance (in addition to winning for Best Director) and at the Cesars won Most Promising Actress and was nominated for Best Feature Film.

Which doesn't mean you'd like it; I'm just saying it has a bad reputation because Netflix is dumb. It really deserved better.

Last edited:

thx113876

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched it
WOW, I have watching films since I was a teenager in the 80s and I never got to see extra footage on Blu Ray what an amazing job thank you for all your hard work.....

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now I'm going to have to buy a copy so I can take a look. I've always enjoyed the movie--it it at about the right time for me--but never stirred myself to get a copy.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now I'm going to have to buy a copy so I can take a look. I've always enjoyed the movie--it it at about the right time for me--but never stirred myself to get a copy.

Just make sure to get the Criterion to get the proper extras!

MadAsKiwi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow.. this is an extended edition I didn't know I needed to see!! I have loved TBC since I was a kid, and it is one of those movies that we all enjoy as a family even now.

Top Bottom