• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Blur in Seeing Red (smallville) - Extended Edition Final Release Info!

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Blur in Seeing Red

So, I needed a break from my very Challenging edit of Terminal 12 (12 monkeys). I took some time to examine some lighter, more fun, fan edit concepts (i have been getting comments from friends that my fan edits are way too dark and cerebral). I first looked at supernatural and the story I wanted to do ended up being a real mess, continuity-wise. Then I looked at Smallville and the story seemed quite obvious, all though my first cut went into the trash, there was enough footage to fix it up into a very complete story.

Synopsis: Lex luthor and Clark Kent grow up as the best of friends, but than on the night of Lex Luthor's Wedding reception, all hell breaks loose. Due to the influence of The blur's father Jor-El and the power of Red Kryptonite, Clark Kent turns to a life of Crime while Lex Luthor attempts to save his marriage as well as The Smallville Power Plant from being closed by his father Lionel Luthor.

Edits in three Exciting flavors:

Theatrical Edition: A tight Hollywood story of 113 minutes

Extended Edition: A more detailed story at 147 minutes

Super Sharknado Edition: Totally Jumping the shark with this parody version. (length unknown)

Progress:

Just finished the Final Audio and video on both the Theatrical and Extended Cuts. I am hoping to get someone to watch my preview edits before sending it to final rendering and color which should take several days, so I don't want to do it more than once. (PLEASE PM ME if you would like to preview) After final rendering, I'll make the DVD and Blu-Ray ISOs.

Theatrical and Extended Cuts will be released simultaneously; Sharknado cut will be out a few months later as there is a ton of FX work to be done. Sharknado Edition uses additional footage from Sharknado, Twister, The Lord of the Rings, and Dr. Strangelove (so far). Started with the idea of having superman fight a shark in a tornado and has blossomed from there.

Please Visit http://www.christopherreeve.org/

Titles:
Extended Trailer:
Teaser Trailer:
Hype Trailer:

poster1.jpg
poster2.jpg

Cover Art:
DVDart2.jpg

DVDart3.jpg

dvdCover.jpg

Cuts From:

Season 1 Episodes:

1. Pilot
21. Tempest

Season 2 Episodes:

1. Vortex
4. Red
7. Lineage
22. Calling
23. Exodus

Season 3 Episodes:

1. Exile
2. Phoenix

Additional Sources:

Audio from Smallville Season 10 Episode 1
Superman theme - John Williams
Sharknado - for sharks in tornado
Deleted Scenes and extras - various seasons of smallville

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure why you posted the same image three times but due to the heavy pixellation present, the only flavor I'm getting is waffle. If that's any indication of the final visual quality of the edit, it's highly unlikely you'll get it approved.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
I'm not sure why you posted the same image three times but due to the heavy pixellation present, the only flavor I'm getting is waffle. If that's any indication of the final visual quality of the edit, it's highly unlikely you'll get it approved.

There is a site issue, I only see one image. The first two I posted went blank. There isn't even any text or anything for me to delete.

PS>

I re-logged in with firefox instead of chrome and I can see them now. Deleted. But will add to my bug report. Thanks for the info on that. Probably all my posts are like this.

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...y-edit-as-blank-in-Chrome&p=225157#post225157

As for your other comment: (Click here for sound effect) It is a work in progress. I was hoping that since this is the IN-THE-WORKS Forum, I would not have to explain that the project is not finished and thus anything should not be deemed of final quality. But if you would like to check out an indication of final quality, feel free to check out some of my other edits as listed in my signature! :)

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've added a trailer. This is from the Rough Cut, so the video quality is not where I want it yet. But it does give you an idea of the story.

Here is a test I did on the new titles. It is green screened so imagine there is outer space stuff behind it.

[video=youtube_share;y3HTZXO5oGI]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the new titles test.

But I am afraid the trailer is very messy. I know this is just to promote the rough material and get the concept of the edit across, but a trailer has to also instill confidence in the viewer and make them excited for the project. However, the audio work in this trailer needs extensive polishing. The music is way too loud and then just cuts out at the end. If you are going to have dialogue in a trailer, you need to dial down the music lyrics for those portions so we can actually hear and understand what the characters are saying. At the same time, try not to use scenes that already have music playing in their backgrounds. The two music soundtracks conflict badly and it comes across very amateurish.

I am big fan of your MASH edit, so I know you are strong storyteller and thus have faith in this project but this trailer in its present form is not the best example of the your work. Sorry, I truly hate being that guy.... :-(

But I look forward to seeing some sample clips from the project and seeing you shape this into an awesome Smallville movie.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I hear ya [MENTION=4677]bionicbob[/MENTION]. That is one of this issue I'm dealing with right now is that almost every single moment in smallville has it's own soundtrack. With a 2 channel stereo track, there is not much I can do to clean it up, I just try to dove tail it between scenes best I can. I didn't even want to use this song in the trailer, it was just the best as masking the under music. I may end up going with the classic "silent trailer". I don't know yet. Maybe a sample clip would be better. Thanks for the constructive input.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob

Maybe these are better?

This is the pre-bumper sequence to the film. The scenes from the episode Linage need to be re-ripped. The scenes from the episode calling are the best rip I can do right now using the current software I have.

And this is the end credits which is all at my Max Ripping capability right now and I'd really like to consider it a completed sequence, so if there is something you or anyone else wants to rip apart on the technical aspects, this would be the clip.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
clip 1:
-- I would cut Luthor's line "what are you carrying back there, it is slowing us down" since we just saw Jonathon single handedly lift the rocket into the back of the truck.
--hold the fade to black, moment of silence, 14 years later on screen, have audio dial up and then fade in to scene
--though if you are going straight from Clark's arrival on Earth to Lex's wedding, will there be no explaination to Dr. Waldon, the caves, the Key or Jor-el?

clip 2:
--while I know you did this with your MASH 2 edit, I really don't think you need play both opening credits from both seasons used, throws me off as a viewer. I would just used the second credits, since it has all the main actors. Otherwise, very entertaining and fun.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob,

I will give those cut ideas a try and see how I like them. Always looking for a few seconds to cut. But with that msuic under everything, cutting bit of dialog is almost impossible sometimes.

There will be plenty of explanation of the caves and Jor-el, as for Doc. Walden, well, as Shakespeare said in a mid summer nights dream, "once the players are dead, no further explanation is needed". Basically the point of that first scene is to establish that this is not day one of the S#!+ hitting the fan and that the monster of the week situation is the basic modus operandi. There is a cave, a key, and a scary voice, if you can follow that, you won't be lost in the rest of the film. The extended edition will go in to more detailed explanations and since they'll be released simultaneously, viewers get a choice of pacing vs. detail.

NOW, for the trailer, thanks for the kick in the butt on that, I pushed the audio on the trailer as far as I could, I changed the music (which helped a lot), re-engineered the sound effects, tried to tweek the eq the best I could, and I also added the new titles in.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Under the idea that we are suppose to make our imaginary movies as much like real movies as possible, I decided to make a trailer that was less than 60 seconds. This is what I came up with.

I added some red flash to Clark's eyes that wasn't in the original clip. I also used some post processing on the luminosity. Tell me if you think it looks good/bad.

EDIT: Bummer, I guess I reached my HD limit. Might need to go pro.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
10382024_884927521524584_7142398268512746989_o.jpg

Note: There is not a cliff hanger ending, nor are there people hanging from cliffs. I don't why I called that sequence cliff hanger.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ken Poirier said:
Under the idea that we are suppose to make our imaginary movies as much like real movies as possible, I decided to make a trailer that was less than 60 seconds. This is what I came up with.

I added some red flash to Clark's eyes that wasn't in the original clip. I also used some post processing on the luminosity. Tell me if you think it looks good/bad.

EDIT: Bummer, I guess I reached my HD limit. Might need to go pro.

Fun little teaser, though the video is a bit on the bright side making the title cards a little difficult to read but I liked it. :)

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This info graphic provides more info than the last one:

10455008_10203981673643729_5655916536780251047_o.jpg

You can now see the flow a little better.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Titles are done! Learning After Effects has been very rewarding.

I screened the film with friends last night and they pointed out some issues I was having. I tried to compress the story too much. I was expecting people to be able to figure things out on their own, but they needed much more explaining. I was shooting for 90 minutes on the theatrical version, but now it is closer to 115 minutes, which is still in the ball park for a superman movie.

Anyway, here are the titles!

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished the Final Audio and video on both the Theatrical and Extended Cuts. I am hoping to get someone to watch my preview edits before sending it to final rendering and color which should take several days, so I don't want to do it more than once. (PLEASE PM ME if you would like to preview)

Theatrical Cut finished at 113 minutes and the Extended Cut is 147 minutes. After final rendering, I'll make the DVD and Blu-Ray ISOs.

Theatrical and Extended Cuts will be released simultaneously; Sharknado cut will be out a few months later as there is a ton of FX work to be done. Sharknado Edition uses additional footage from Sharknado, Twister, The Lord of the Rings, and Dr. Strangelove (so far). Started with the idea of having superman fight a shark in a tornado and has blossomed into a ridiculous parody from there.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, here's my thoughts on the edit so far

The biggest concern I have with mashing Smallville episodes together is sometimes the narratives can be hard to deconstruct to create a new type of scene that fits into an edit's own context. I think you've done a pretty good job of weaving everything in and out though...at first I was like "that was abrupt" in places (particulary when Clark is mulling over about the prophecies in the cave and then being called by Jor-El), but seeing the whole picture helps put a lot of the decisions early on into better perspective.

My memory may be a bit faulty here, but was the music playing when Lex and Lionel were shutting the plant down always that intrusivly loud in the original episode?

I know this is no fault of your own, but there is any way to get rid of that Good Charlotte song when Clark's on the bender in Metropolis?

Some of the fade-outs worked well with transistions, there were other areas where it would quickly cut to black and then fade in to another scene, maybe you should go for how the actual tv show handles this practise more if you're going to allow cuts to black at all, or, since you're structuring this like a movie, you want want to try and avoid that entirely. i know this is a rough cut, so hopefully that is dealt with in final rendering

I enjoyed the film, having seen too many Smallville edits which start at the begining, it's actually refreshing to see something that dips a bit into the later portions of the early run, while some aspects of this edit require existing knowledge of the show, the focus on the characters is helped greatly by the pre-credits set-up from "Pilot" so anyone fresh can at least tell what's going on and what sets Lex and Clark apart in regards to being from two different worlds

Hopefully this helps you out man. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=4825]Zarius[/MENTION]

#1 - That is what people said when I had a viewing here. At first they were a bit confused, but then it all made sense by the end (some of them have never seen smallville).

#2 - Yes, the music was always that loud. I can pull it down, but the dialog will come down with it.

#3 - no.

#4 - can you be specific which fades bothered you? I tend to put in fades or black frames when I want to establish time passing.

#5 - It's actually from linage, not pilot. scenes from Pilot only appear in the extended edition.

Thanks for watching! You didn't point out any of the stuff I was really worried about, so that is a good thing!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ken Poirier said:
Zarius

#1 - That is what people said when I had a viewing here. At first they were a bit confused, but then it all made sense by the end (some of them have never seen smallville).

That's great, the key to any good edit is when you can get reactions from people who have never seen the product and get them interested in the source material.

#2 - Yes, the music was always that loud. I can pull it down, but the dialog will come down with it.

I see, thanks for clearing that up...there were bits where the talking was in danger of being drowned out by how loud that was. Should have been better editing by the professionals in that regard

#4 - can you be specific which fades bothered you? I tend to put in fades or black frames when I want to establish time passing.

There is a bit before Chole is talking to Clark and Pete in the school (I think it's right after Lionel shuts down the plant) where there's a quick cut to black and then the music just sort of gently fades in as does the picture, but it seems an abrupt contrast to the quick cut to black with the music coming to an end.

#5 - It's actually from linage, not pilot. scenes from Pilot only appear in the extended edition!

Ah right, thanks, dodgy memory again. It's been so long since

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I see, thanks for clearing that up...there were bits where the talking was in danger of being drowned out by how loud that was. Should have been better editing by the professionals in that regard ...

There is a bit before Chole is talking to Clark and Pete in the school (I think it's right after Lionel shuts down the plant) where there's a quick cut to black and then the music just sort of gently fades in as does the picture, but it seems an abrupt contrast to the quick cut to black with the music coming to an end.

Seasons 1 and 2 are really hinky. That's part of why I made this edit. Most people don't get into smallville because they can't make it through the first season. Seasons 1 and 2 are shot on Betacam SP and then they go to HD video at the end of the second season and into the third season.

That scene at the plant is really bad, but I needed it to drive Lex so he isn't just whining about his wedding the whole time. On the actually DVD there is one shot that is completely off center with a big black bar on the side. No one bothered to clean up anything. The first seaon box is so cheap, it letterally fell apart the minute I opened it and the discs went flying everywhere.

I think your right about that school scene fade. In an earlier cut it came after the titles and I guess I just never thought about taking the fade out. Good eye. Sometimes you look at something for so long you can't see it any more.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to source these materials I used for the Opening Titles:

Z9PiaRhwd&index=7[/video]
Z9PiaRhwd&index=6[/video]
Z9PiaRhwd&index=4[/video]
[video=youtube_share;UHb7PiqRdAg]

Which with some after effects combines into this:

and was inspired by this video (aka the waffle):

[video=youtube_share;14wHaKsXpVw]http://youtu.be/14wHaKsXpVw[/video]