• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Big Sleep - Extended Cut HD

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've long wanted to see Doctor M's "Reconstructed Gangrel Hybrid Cut", which uses the well-known 1946 theatrical version as a base and adds back the scenes from the 1945 pre-release cut which don't clash with the new additions, but have been unable to find it as of now.

Since the edit is from 2007 and only available in standard definition, I think it time for another reconstruction, this time sourced mainly from the blu-ray. The additions will be:
  • Full search of Geiger's house
  • Marlowe driving Carmen home from Geiger's house
    • Fade from above scene to the 1946 scene of Norris opening the Sternwood house door (avoiding fades in the 1946 cut). This is an alteration from Doctor M's cut to avoid 1945 footage of Marlowe outside the Sternwood house, otherwise goes from it raining and him having a coat on to it being dry and him not over the course of a few seconds.
  • Additional footage of Marlowe entering his apartment
  • Marlowe taken to explain himself (and the plot to the audience) to the District Attorney
  • Marlowe removing his car registration and retrieving a gun from under the dashboard
9 minutes of 1945 cut added and negligible deletions (to accommodate new fades) from 114-minute 1946 cut, total of 123 minutes.

Edit seems done and ready for submission, required a bit more work than I imagined to get the 1945 cut segments into reasonable shape.

Will be watching through over the week to check that everything flows, if anybody would like to preview as well just PM me.

Watched about 90 minutes of this 123 minutes cut and it's been great! The difference in footage is slight, but nothing that would take you out of the movie and with a plot that has so many moving pieces, you probably wouldn't even notice as you're busy trying to follow the motives of all of these characters. I look forward to finishing the rest of the movie tonight!

I never saw the Doctor M Reconstruction, so I can't compare that edit to this, but @ParanoidAndroid's edit will be one that I'm keeping a copy of for future viewings!

Just wanted to update that I finished watching this last night and now, looking back at what was added, you really can not tell as everything was very seamless. This will without a doubt be my go-to version when I watch The Big Sleep in the future.

There will be a much more in-depth review once this has made its way to IFDB.

An excellent watch!

Just wanted to update that I finished watching this last night and now, looking back at what was added, you really can not tell as everything was very seamless. This will without a doubt be my go-to version when I watch The Big Sleep in the future.

There will be a much more in-depth review once this has made its way to IFDB.

An excellent watch!
Fantastic, glad you enjoyed it! Will do the submission now, looking forward to hearing your thoughts in more detail, even though this is hardly a creative (or original) edit.

Fantastic, glad you enjoyed it! Will do the submission now, looking forward to hearing your thoughts in more detail, even though this is hardly a creative (or original) edit.

I never saw Doctor M's edit and if no one can find it, then it's kind of lost in my opinion. Yours not only has your own take on the material, but it's also in HD. That alone makes it stand on its own.

I never saw Doctor M's edit and if no one can find it, then it's kind of lost in my opinion. Yours not only has your own take on the material, but it's also in HD. That alone makes it stand on its own.
If you insist, but it was almost exactly following Doctor M's cutlist!

I had no idea the Doctor M cut was 'lost'. Someone contacted me a little while ago for a copy and I was getting ready to upload it when I found this thread... Now I'm hoping to get a look at ParanoidAndroid's version to compare.

If there is interested, I can still share the Doctor M edit for the curious.

Last edited:
Am working on v2 of the edit, this will include:
  • Availability at a much higher bitrate for better video quality
  • HD upscaling of the SD-only Pre-Release Cut scenes
  • Removal of a continuity error in the current version (car door opened twice about 20 minutes before the end)
Shouldn't take too long, will update on this thread when everything's ready.

Also, would anybody be interested in an HD reconstruction of the 1945 Pre-Release Cut? For those who haven't seen it the major changes (compared to the Theatrical Cut) include:
  • 116-minute runtime (2 minutes longer)
  • Search of Geiger's house
  • Marlowe driving Carmen home
  • Marlowe drops Carmen off at the Sternwood house door (no meeting with Vivian)
  • Marlowe entering his office
  • A scene where the convoluted plot is discussed between Marlowe and the district attorney
  • Vivian meets Marlowe at his office to pay him (the supposedly infamous "black veil scene" was a main reason for the reshoots) rather than at a bar, so no more racehorse discussion
  • Marlowe does not come home to find Carmen waiting for him
  • A shorter discussion between Marlowe and Ohls
  • Marlowe removes his car registration papers and retrieves a gun from under his dashboard before deflating his tyre
  • Alternate version of the scene with Mona Mars, with her being played by a different actress
Points marked in bold are already featured in the Extended Cut, sections that were removed from the Pre-Release Cut and not replaced by substitutes, so this should be another fairly easy job if anybody wishes to see it.

Back
Top Bottom