• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Big Bang Theory

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm tempted to lock this thread ;)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
EDIT: Remember how Sheldon drank beer in the first episode? what happened to that Sheldon? Yeah i know the characers need a bit of time to fall into place, still.

I just picked up the first two seasons on DVD yesterday. I had been holding out for Blu-Ray releases with new/better extras, but at this point I don't know if that'll happen. I didn't remember Sheldon drinking any alcohol until he unknowingly drank an "un-virgin" Virgin Mary provided to him by Penny at The Cheesecake Factory later on in the series. Iirc he said that alcohol dulls your senses, or something more Sheldon-y :lol: as his reason why he doesn't drink. I remembered your comment above as I was watching yesterday and I paid particular attention to that scene. What I saw was a beverage that was too orange to be beer in that bottle. My guess is that it was an orange soda.

BTW is anyone else yearning for better extras on the season releases? A couple of featurettes and a gag reel doesn't exactly make for an exciting package of extras. I would really love to see them release the two unaired pilots as extras. I also can't believe that they haven't included any commentary tracks, in-character ones like they did with the first and second seasons of the King Of The Hill releases would be hilarious. And what about deleted scenes? You can't honestly tell me that nothing had to be cut due to time restrictions or something? I really miss the days when a half hour show ran for 24-25 minutes without commercials. Although on the plus side, with there being so many commercials during shows nowadays, bringing half hour shows down to 20-21 minutes without the commercials, it means that shows no longer have to be edited down for syndication. I guess it's a win-lose situation. Personally I'd much rather have the longer shows be edited down for syndication. I mean with everything being released to DVD, and shows popping up online minutes after they've aired, you don't really miss out anymore.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Personally I'd much rather have the longer shows be edited down for syndication. I mean with everything being released to DVD, and shows popping up online minutes after they've aired, you don't really miss out anymore.
That will never happen. They'd have to pay for two editing jobs instead of one. Ultimately it's all about the money, as always.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched another couple of episodes and decided to search for actual scripts from the show. I came across a site that is supposed to help people write Big Bang Theory spec scripts, and they've got links to 6 actual scripts. The scripts came from some guy's blog, and the link for the blog is given as well. I checked out the guy's blog, clicked on the TV Scripts link at the top and then clicked on US Comedy Show Collections. That brought me to a page with a bunch of scripts for a bunch of shows, and a lot of current shows as well. Under The Big Bang Theory they've got the same 6 scripts that the site had, since the site just linked to the scripts on the blog, but the blog also has a seventh script that isn't on the site. One of those scripts is a First Draft of the revised pilot episode. It's dated October 2nd, 2006. I just took a cursory glance at it and there are some differences, at least in dialogue, from both the unaired and aired versions of the revised pilot. If anyone is interested in checking out either site, or the scripts, the links are as follows:

Site: http://eshawcomedy.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/the-big-bang-theory-spec-script-toolkit-homework/

Blog: http://www.leethomson.com/

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Was anybody else disappointed in last night's season finale? I hated the whole flashback way it was told. Did we really need to see him "in space" to know that "Yes, he really went to space."?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't care for the flashback aspect, but overall the episode was alright. I think they were making fun of Google Earth more than anything in that last shot.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tonight's season premiere was rather disappointing. I hope they don't spend the entire season with Howard in space.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
That will never happen. They'd have to pay for two editing jobs instead of one. Ultimately it's all about the money, as always.

Look at Parks and Rec on netflix. Some of the episodes are 25-27 minutes. They are labeled as "Extended" on the dvd sets, but in reality they were just longer cuts that were trimmed for tv. I can see it becoming a normal practice.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
Look at Parks and Rec on netflix. Some of the episodes are 25-27 minutes. They are labeled as "Extended" on the dvd sets, but in reality they were just longer cuts that were trimmed for tv. I can see it becoming a normal practice.

I believe the DVD's, except for the first season, contain extended episodes as well. And I know the first season of Community on DVD contains extended episodes, not sure about season 2 and 3 though.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone have the formula for enjoying this show? I've tried to like it I really have, I watched half of season 1 and can't remember laughing very much at all, checked in for the odd episode here and there from the later seasons and still don't see the appeal.

I'm fully prepared to admit that I may be just slightly broken, but I just thought it was worth asking the question once.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Does anyone have the formula for enjoying this show? I've tried to like it I really have, I watched half of season 1 and can't remember laughing very much at all, checked in for the odd episode here and there from the later seasons and still don't see the appeal.

I'm fully prepared to admit that I may be just slightly broken, but I just thought it was worth asking the question once.

I don't think there's really a formula for enjoying any tv show, you either like it or you don't. The Big Bang Theory was funnier in its earlier seasons when it was just the four guys and Penny, with the occasional appearance of Stuart, but I think the show has kinda gone downhill a bit with Bernadette and Amy being made regulars. It's like they've turned the show into Friends almost. Don't get me wrong, I loved Friends and I still love The Big Bang Theory, but it's not as funny as it used to be. It used to be geek comedy and now it's mainly relationship comedy.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Steps to take to enjoy Big Bang Theory:

1) Lower expectations.
2) Constantly remind self "At least I'm not watching Two And A Half Men".

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I don't think there's really a formula for enjoying any tv show, you either like it or you don't. The Big Bang Theory was funnier in its earlier seasons when it was just the four guys and Penny, with the occasional appearance of Stuart, but I think the show has kinda gone downhill a bit with Bernadette and Amy being made regulars. It's like they've turned the show into Friends almost. Don't get me wrong, I loved Friends and I still love The Big Bang Theory, but it's not as funny as it used to be. It used to be geek comedy and now it's mainly relationship comedy.

ta, in that case I'll stop trying to enjoy it.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
2) Constantly remind self "At least I'm not watching Two And A Half Men".

^ This.

I for one enjoy BBT.

Farlander

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There was a time when I was enjoying BBT a LOT. One of my favourite scenes ever is the Eye of the Tiger one.

However, somewhere during Season 4, I think, it started to exhaust me instead of entertaining, so I just stopped watching it.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw the new episode and was entertained. :)

Hey frantic? Whats the big to do about Howard in space?

I also saw the new two and 1/2 men, was also entertained. There.

Top Bottom