• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Best Way to Assign 5.1 Channels in FCPX

Synovia

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I searched the forums and I couldn't really find a guide for explaining this. What I'm looking for is an explanation on how to properly assign different 5.1 channels to replicate original film as much as possible. Is there a way to do this in FCPX?

Currently I'm working with 4 separate audio tracks - L/R, C, LFE, and LS/RS. I saw a post that said the order in which these are listed in the timeline is important, but it didn't explain why. What I am wondering is if these are simply listed in that order and export the project in 5.1 without assigning channels will it come out with each channel assigned automatically? Or do I have to set the panning myself for it to work? If the panning has to be set manually, what is the right way to do it?

AZ907qW.jpg

For example should the center channel be panned to 100% the center or should I leave a little spillover in other channels? How is the LFE panned? I just want to get everything exactly the way you would hear them if you played it straight off the blu-ray.

EDIT: I noticed that even if I assign the channels accordingly and order them in the right way FCPX seems to assign the center channel to the left. I'm not sure why this would be.

I hope someone picks this up because this thread could be damn interesting in the future :)

I'm having major issues with this too. Can anybody out there help? One other thing I cannot workout is how to assign a channel to LFE. There is no LFE option in the Pan dropdown.

smudger9 said:
I'm having major issues with this too. Can anybody out there help? One other thing I cannot workout is how to assign a channel to LFE. There is no LFE option in the Pan dropdown.
I think I saw a youtube demonstration once and they simply put the LFE track in the middle of the soundstage. I may be mistaken though. The one time I've done it I've used Audacity to assign the tracks.

Back
Top Bottom