• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Beatles thread

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hey all! i'm a huge Beatles fan and have been listening almost only to the fabs recently, and i've been having a blast! i feel like they deserve their own thread here. my favorite album right now has to be Revolver, though either the White Album or  Abbey Road come close too, along with Sgt. Pepper... oh so many great records to choose from! any Beatles fans here? do you guys think there's going to be a remixed Abbey Road later this year for the record's 50th anniversary? what are you expecting from peter jackson's documentary?

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not really a Beatles fan, though I do love this song:

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks like Abbey Road is FE's favorite album so far.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Abbey Road is their best produced album for sure, and i love just about every second of it. I Want You is second only to Something in my book. Maxwell's Silver Hammer shows Paul with his humor at its darkest, and it's perfect. funny ironic song, i love it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd forgotten about the new Danny Boyle Beatles movie until I saw a trailer at the cinema the other day:

It's out in a few weeks. I wouldn't bet against Danny Boyle making a bad one.

My fav Beatles record has changed over the years many times but Paul McCartney's remixed 'Let It Be... Naked' has been my favourite for some time now. It captures them at the height of their later songwriting talent but stripped right back to the simplicity of the early sound. Without all the treacley Phil Spector overdubs and John Lennon sabotaging the album in the mixing and track sequencing, it's a great warm sounding album.

FYI, the Vinyl Collector youtube channel has lots of interesting Beatles content:

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, but where's my anniversary remix of Revolver?! :'(

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My wife loves The Beatles.

I married her anyway.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
great post tm2yc, thanks!

i’d forgotten about the movie as well! it looks great though. i just hope it doesn’t take too long to come out here in brazil...

i prefer Let It Be... Naked to the original phil spector produced album as well, but i’ve gotten used to the original album’s track list. the stand out tracks to me on Naked are “The Long and Winding Road”, the title track and the two harrisongs. but i’m not much of a fan of Naked’s rooftop concert songs, but the inclusion of “Don’t Let Me Down” is just a must. the only song i’m not sure which version i prefer is”Across the Universe”. both are superb.

and i think i’ve seen a couple of his videos. i’ll be sure to look more into it now that you’ve recommended though!

edit: that’s what you get for posting a reply for over 4 hours.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My favorite early album is probably A Hard Day's Night (followed closely by Help!) and my favorite later album is probably Magical Mystery Tour. I realize that the latter one is kind of an odd choice, as Side B is just a handful of songs from singles that hadn't made it onto an album yet, but...I dunno. Somehow it all makes for a good, satisfying mix.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
My favorite early album is probably A Hard Day's Night (followed closely by Help!) and my favorite later album is probably Magical Mystery Tour. I realize that the latter one is kind of an odd choice, as Side B is just a handful of songs from singles that hadn't made it onto an album yet, but...I dunno. Somehow it all makes for a good, satisfying mix.

totally agree that side B of MMT is a beautiful mess! i have crammed SFF and Penny Lane onto Sgt Pepper for my personal listens and it works just as fine as well :D

funny you say MMT is your favorite because i remember Lennon mentioning he loves that one quite a lot. i think that and the white album are his favorites.

my favorite early is probably Please Please Me, but A Hard Day's Night and Help! follow closely. in a "general" ranking the early ones stand no chance against the later ones imo though...

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
Okay, but where's my anniversary remix of Revolver?! :'(

i know right! the stereo mix currently available is definitely hit & miss, and since 1999's Yellow Submarine Songtrack and the more recent remixes, the bar for stereo mixes has definitely gone up. it's a bit of a shame that for 1966's 50th anniversary they prioritized the "stopped touring" aspect of that year for the Beatles with Eight Days A Week and its "supporting" material.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I played in a Beatles tribute about a year and a half ago. We didn’t have a keyboard player so I figured out arrangements for tunes that really should’ve had keys/synth using an Electro-Harmonix Mel9 pedal for Strawberry Fields Forever and I Am the Walrus. All horns and “strings” parts are guitar with the Mel9 pedal. Bonus is my rehearsal for While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I am not a singer, so you’ll have to suffer my vocals. 

It was super fun figuring out the arrangements and I learned a ton.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been a Beatles fan for decades. Have to agree that 'Hard Day's Night' is the best of the early Beatlemania albums, though I prefer the later stuff. 'Rubber Soul', 'Revolver', 'Sgt. Pepper', 'White Album' and 'Abbey Rd' are usually my go-to LPs for a Beatles fix. I used to collect bootleg vinyl albums - probably have over a dozen or more back at my parent's home - then they started releasing that stuff officially, so it's not quite so special now. Still, some of the stuff from the 'Get Back/Let it Be' sessions that I don't think have been released is interesting (eg. a version of 'Let it Be' with Paul singing the chord changes as he's teaching the others how it goes, or trying to inject MLK's 'I have a dream' into 'I've got a feeling'). I'm looking forward to both the official release of the film plus whatever Peter Jackson has in store.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I played in a Beatles tribute about a year and a half ago. We didn’t have a keyboard player so I figured out arrangements for tunes that really should’ve had keys/synth using an Electro-Harmonix Mel9 pedal for Strawberry Fields Forever and I Am the Walrus. All horns and “strings” parts are guitar with the Mel9 pedal. Bonus is my rehearsal for While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I am not a singer, so you’ll have to suffer my vocals. 

It was super fun figuring out the arrangements and I learned a ton.

Hey guys, thanks for checking these out. I can tell from my SoundCloud stats that a few of you have listened. I can’t tell from the stats whether or not you enjoyed them though.  :p 

Here’s another in case you did enjoy. This demo for Sgt. Pepper’s is just me recorded on my iPhone’s GarageBand with two tracks of acoustic guitar to work out the parts. The horn parts were particularly fun. 

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i was one of the ones who listened and i really liked it! you're not as bad a singer as you think you are either  ;)  i especially enjoyed SFF - you nailed it!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Collipso said:
i was one of the ones who listened and i really liked it! you're not as bad a singer as you think you are either  ;)  i especially enjoyed SFF - you nailed it!

Thank you. Most of the tunes were pretty straightforward. But these required me to work a bit. WMGGW was more about feeling comfortable with the solos than any arrangements. It was only a one time gig and a lot of work, but I learned so much. I don’t have the setlist anymore but all of the songs were Rubber Soul and later IIRC.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
10zn18blT6CEZ-qP11EvOw

IJ31aGEkQ_q4YGY8xqk_7g

reU4miNeQN23gWCnncw85g

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/F_RL-H1FTjeux7ys9c3fVA.BcKzhEd1WG7-IecQUc6ETm

The last time I went home (probably 6 years ago) I picked up these bootlegs from my collection to bring back with me, my favourite two. Just need to buy a record player now...

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Abbey Road remixed is out!

gotta say i loved every single track's remix with the exception of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", which i'm still unsure of. i'm not sure why Giles would tone down John's guitar and the wind machine at the end so much, but aside from that every other song in the new mix is great. it's probably my favorite of the remixes so far, Sgt. Pepper being the least favorite. when the White Album's remix came out i wasn't very fond of it but it grew exponentially on me and i now love it. Sgt. Pepper's remix went the other way. i still think it's the best Sgt. Pepper mix but... i don't know. i'm not a fan of the panned drums in the opening song, etc etc... but Abbey Road is just perfect.

which is funny, because when Giles first remixed Sgt. Pepper i wondered if he'd do this for more albums, and Abbey Road was the one album i thought didn't really need it. guess i was wrong...

has anyone else listened to it already? any thoughts?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rocked out all day to that Abbey goodness. I quite enjoyed "Her Majesty (Takes 1-3)", "Come Together (Take 5)", "Come And Get It (Studio Demo)", and of course, "The Long One".

4ss0do5k77p31.jpg

Top Bottom