• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Beatles: Get Back (Disney+)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MV5BNjFiODZmNTAtZTJhZC00MWJjLTlmM2YtN2NmOGU1ODJmMzFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI0NzM2NTM@._V1_.jpg

Thought I'd start a thread for this Disney+ production by Peter Jackson.

First episdoe just ended and I'll admit that I'm not quite sure what I'm watching or if I actually like it. It's neat to see the creative process, but this doesn't really feel like it flows very well. It's erratic in how quickly it jumps from one idea/song to the next and doesn't reallly capture my attention. I actually left the room at one point and went and played guitar then came back in ~25-30 minutes later (left it playing). There is tons of drama in this and you can really see how they just weren't going to make it beyond this session, but there isn't really any cohessive flow. This feels like watching a highlights video of a sports event were you really don't see what is happening, you just get a glimpse of the major plays/moments. Again, it's neat, but I'm just not that interested in it.

I loved it. I was so glad it let the footage speak for itself. Though I do think this is meant for fans. If you don’t know the context of these sessions, you’ll likely not get all that’s going on. I think this documentary clearly shows that long held beliefs about the band’s break up are pretty well unfounded.

I'm interested in the subject matter but I don't know if I want to spend 8 hours on it. I still haven't watched McCartney 3, 2, 1 on Hulu yet either because I don't know if I want to watch 3 hours about Paul.

This was really cool. It was like being there with them for eight hours. To see the geniuses struggling to come up with material was enlightening. Certainly made them seem more human to us. The time went by so quick, we were dissapointed that it was over.

Though I do think this is meant for fans. If you don’t know the context of these sessions, you’ll likely not get all that’s going on.
:unsure: I like the Beatles. I don't care about their breakup. I wanted to see more creative process. This doesn't really highlight that and is more about building tension than it is the process of writing. It isn't hard to see why every broke up. You can see it clearly in a few minutes from watching. They were massively disfunctional as a group. Lots of Alpha in that group. Ringo was really the best band member in terms of supporting the process. There was competition for the steering wheel between the others. George said it straight out on the Dick Cavett show in 1971 that he wasn't given the opportunity to record the songs he was writing. My favorite Beatles are Paul and George, but Ringo was the best band member. Honestly I got more out of their process by watching youtube videos and James Corden's carpool karaoke with Paul. Being a fan looks different for everyone.

I loved it. Long? Most definitely, but it never really got boring. It was just sitting and watching their process.

That was one of the rare times I felt it actually stayed in one spot to show that process in action. So often it would jump to the next song during the doc.

Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for a documentary...

I like the Beatles. I don't care about their breakup. I wanted to see more creative process. This doesn't really highlight that and is more about building tension than it is the process of writing. It isn't hard to see why every broke up. You can see it clearly in a few minutes from watching. They were massively disfunctional as a group. Lots of Alpha in that group. Ringo was really the best band member in terms of supporting the process. There was competition for the steering wheel between the others. George said it straight out on the Dick Cavett show in 1971 that he wasn't given the opportunity to record the songs he was writing. My favorite Beatles are Paul and George, but Ringo was the best band member. Honestly I got more out of their process by watching youtube videos and James Corden's carpool karaoke with Paul. Being a fan looks different for everyone.

That was one of the rare times I felt it actually stayed in one spot to show that process in action. So often it would jump to the next song during the doc.

Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for a documentary...

Perhaps if you keep watching? I found it to be a pretty incredible look into their creative process. That’s what the bulk of the film is IMO, all nine hours. The tension displayed early on is an outlier. The issues that lead to the break up really aren’t on display in this movie IMO. Most of it has to do with management. The loss of Epstein obviously left a leadership void which they struggled to fill. But the ultimate issues came with them trying to find their next management. But that is only briefly alluded to. Otherwise it is nine hours of their creative process of making this album/show/concert/documentary on display. Yeah, it’s messy and feels frustratingly unfocused much of the time. But that was their method and I loved watching it.

P.S. I wasn’t saying g you’re not a fan. I was saying that there is context to what is going on in the documentary that is not really given. My wife likes the Beatles but she doesn’t know the history and she was confused by some of what was going on. For example, simply knowing about Brian Epstein, his death, and the leadership void it created, the resulting work such as the White Album, and the desire to “get back” to their roots in order to figure out how to move on without him provides important context that the film doesn’t really address.

Last edited:
I appreciate your response. I most likely was having a knee jerk reaction to the documentary and the response. My apologies. I appreciate the patience with my responses. You all are the best :)

I think most of my frustration is that I was expecting and hoping for something different. My apologies for throwing a baby tantrum about not getting the specific thing I was hoping for :)👶

I appreciate your response. I most likely was having a knee jerk reaction to the documentary and the response. My apologies. I appreciate the patience with my responses. You all are the best :)

I think most of my frustration is that I was expecting and hoping for something different. My apologies for throwing a baby tantrum about not getting the specific thing I was hoping for :)👶
No apology necessary. As long as it’s courteous and respectful, discussion about different takes on films (and other art) is the reason I come to this site. There’s no “correct” opinion.

Back
Top Bottom