• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Gibichung

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TLDR: Currently at 2 hours and 32 minutes, "The Batman Unmasked" doesn't redefine the film, but it does cut down a lot of the fat while maintaining the essential mood and story. The cut is complete, uploaded, and ready for your eyes. DM me and I'll send over a link. I need a quality check so please let me know what you think.

fh18ztquuow81.png

I first want to say that I loved the theatrical experience of this movie, and I wanted it to be longer if that was any way possible. Much thanks to Matt Reeves and co. for truly bringing forth detective-noir sensibilities to the Batman film mythos. After I had a chance to rewatch the film a few times, I felt that there was a shorter version in there that makes sense and without sacrificing the tone of what the story is about. I went ahead and gave it a go and I was able to edit the film down to 2 hours and 32 minutes, the same runtime as The Dark Knight (2008). To me, it's better paced. Below are some of the changes:
  1. WB logo replaced with the 70's variant that shows up at the beginning of Joker (2019). This movie has a pulpy, 70's vibe to it in the same vein as The Conversation (1974) and Taxi Driver (1976) so I thought it was fitting.
  2. The first darling I had to kill- the binoculars/voyeurism Riddler scene. I really dig Matt Reeves POV shots (ever since Cloverfield!), but I felt that the movie kicks off better with it gone and going straight into Mayor Mitchell's demise, beginning from overlooking the ceiling window. This binoculars scene is the only POV shot I removed entirely.
  3. The second darling - the fight scene at the train station. I get it. It hurts me too, but I think this scene doesn't really add to the story or mood at all. I watched the Dolby interviews with Matt Reeves and it seems like they were going to remove it anyway but the reaction from the Fandome trailer was so overwhelming that they decided to keep it for sake of Batman declaring "I'm Vengeance." I went ahead and removed it for two reasons: 1. Others call him Vengeance throughout the movie so it's known, and it doesn't need to be said here. 2. Thugs being unafraid of Batman goes against the two previous instances where criminals are terrified of even looking at a dark alley. I understand that not all of Gotham feels the same way about Batman, but I want to maintain that mystique and fear at the start before going into his detective mode as he arrives to Mayor Mitchell's murder scene.
  4. Removed interaction with Officer Martinez. This is Batman in Year 2, and unless that officer is a rookie, it doesn't make sense that he would harass Batman while he's side by side with Gordon (him being a rookie doesn't matter either). Everyone else's body language and Commissioner Savage's entrance makes it obvious that not everyone in the police force feels the same as Gordon about Batman. Easy removal.
  5. Removed scene with Selina inside the Taxi. We don't need to see the phone call inside the taxi. We already infer she's involved with Annika, and we already know from the previous shot that Bruce as the Drifter is following her. I also shortened the POV scene of Bruce with the binoculars surveying Selina's apartment.
  6. Removed scene of Batman putting his gadget contact lens on Selina. It's a touching scene, but I think we get all the same information about Selina and Batman during the actual spying scenario (as she talks to herself/Batman through the device). I felt it was best to go straight into Selina doing the act in club.
  7. Shortened Riddler abducting DA Colson. I understand it's drawn out for a reason, but it doesn't hurt to edit down just a tad.
  8. My personal third darling I had to cut. There's a short jumpscare at the orphanage. I loved that horror element, but I took it out for the sake of pacing. Without it, I think it's a better transition from Penguin's interrogation to the revelation of Riddler's hit on Bruce.
  9. Shortened down shirtless Bruce being emo around Wayne Manor. Don't worry, I didn't edit out too much of that.
  10. Took out entire scene of Bruce unlocking and discovering his parent's bedroom. I understand that it adds background, but for the sake of tone and story, it doesn't need to be in the movie. Everything we know about Thomas Wayne is conveyed through Falcone's confession and Alfred's confession- both I kept in their entirety.
  11. Shortened down Riddler's arrest. I don't think we need to see that espresso mug. We get it. It's the Riddler.
  12. Removed Riddler and Joker scene in Arkham.
  13. I made a big change on this film's denouement- the wrap of the story. First, I replaced the monologue song with a different song from the soundtrack. I like "Something in the Way" as a needle-drop and I understand why they wanted to bookend the movie this way. But I felt that a different song, an orchestral piece, better serves the ending. I combined Bruce's monologue with his farewell to Selina. This particular edit is of an intercutting nature and I think is best to just see it. It's really hard to explain, but I think it works and really serves the story combining those two elements into a singular, final movement.
Those are essentially my biggest changes for this movie- most at the beginning and at the end. Let me know what you think and DM me so I can forward you the link.

I've already ran this edit down over at the fanedits subreddit and received a lot of really good feedback. I decided to officially open a thread on it here on the database forums so that I can pull some additional peer review and allow me to formally submit.

Last edited:
Digital was released April 18th.

#staff
Just a reminder of the new release rule.
Once digital is released, ITW threads are permissible, but the project itself will not be able to be submitted for review until June 8th (15 days after the May 24th physical release).

#staff
Once digital is released, ITW threads are permissible, but the project itself will not be able to be submitted for review until June 8th (15 days after the May 24th physical release).
Understood! Thank you!

Their avatar is Agatha from The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's a joke. I guess not so funny.

Last edited:
Oh...Agatha, you should have known better...

😁
It is what it is, you know.

I have no issues waiting until June 8th to submit. The forms needed an In-the-works thread, so I think it's good to have a head start.

#staff

@DigModiFicaTion
What about posting clips of an in the works fanedit between digital and physical release? Is that allowed?

@DigModiFicaTion
What about posting clips of an in the works fanedit between digital and physical release? Is that allowed?

I don't think I'm allowed to post clips here. So I don't want to risk that.

People in the subreddit has reached out to me, saw the complete edit, and have provided their input on it. I've shown them where yellow brick road leads....

So, I filled out the first time faneditor form for this edit and submitted it back in 6/16. I haven't received any updates.

How do I monitor the status of this submission?

So, I filled out the first time faneditor form for this edit and submitted it back in 6/16. I haven't received any updates.

How do I monitor the status of this submission?
Please check your PMs. :)

This edit has been APPROVED. Until the admins update Gibichung's status, the edit can already be treated as an official release.

*single tear* Couldn't have done it without the community, both here in the forums and in the subreddit.

Wooo! batusi time baby

dBg7aLT.gif

@SHTH34D Just want to reply to a review directly

Thank you so much for the thorough feedback! I'm sorry that the ending re-cut didn't work for you, but I'm so glad that you voiced this opinion.

This reminds me. I think I'm going remaster this edit in 4K. I don't think I'll change the ending or music selection though since they're personal, editorial choices which I can stand by. But I'm always very open to criticisms on technical or low quality presentation for all my edits so I'm willing to accommodate that. Thank you again for the review, and thank you for reminding me!

@SHTH34D Just want to reply to a review directly

Thank you so much for the thorough feedback! I'm sorry that the ending re-cut didn't work for you, but I'm so glad that you voiced this opinion.

This reminds me. I think I'm going remaster this edit in 4K. I don't think I'll change the ending or music selection though since they're personal, editorial choices which I can stand by. But I'm always very open to criticisms on technical or low quality presentation for all my edits so I'm willing to accommodate that. Thank you again for the review, and thank you for reminding me!
No problem! I should have a 4K MKV file of The Batman by the end of the week (4k blu ray is supposed to arrive tomorrow). I had bought it before but couldn't find it in my stuff since I moved and started ripping. I'm still a newbie at ripping 4k discs, but always rip the highest quality audio with regular and forced english subtitles. Usually my rips are 40-80gb. If you're interested, let me know. You should check out the deleted scene with the Joker if you haven't seen it already! I groaned in the theater when Joker was there at the end, but just watched the actual deleted scene from earlier in the film and it's actually a lot smarter and more compelling than the ending scene. It feels much more integrated into the story in a way that doesn't feel like the key-jangling at the end. I guess the only downside of cutting the one at the end is we miss out on seeing Riddler find out Bman managed to foil his plan, but it isn't completely necessary all things considered. I'm still new to the community, but know people can often complain without offering suggestions, so I always try to give constructive feedback. Maybe one day I'll eventually try making an edit of my own. Hope it helps, and thanks again for your hard work! It's a lean, mean cut for sure!

No problem! I should have a 4K MKV file of The Batman by the end of the week (4k blu ray is supposed to arrive tomorrow). I had bought it before but couldn't find it in my stuff since I moved and started ripping. I'm still a newbie at ripping 4k discs, but always rip the highest quality audio with regular and forced english subtitles. Usually my rips are 40-80gb. If you're interested, let me know. You should check out the deleted scene with the Joker if you haven't seen it already! I groaned in the theater when Joker was there at the end, but just watched the actual deleted scene from earlier in the film and it's actually a lot smarter and more compelling than the ending scene. It feels much more integrated into the story in a way that doesn't feel like the key-jangling at the end. I guess the only downside of cutting the one at the end is we miss out on seeing Riddler find out Bman managed to foil his plan, but it isn't completely necessary all things considered. I'm still new to the community, but know people can often complain without offering suggestions, so I always try to give constructive feedback. Maybe one day I'll eventually try making an edit of my own. Hope it helps, and thanks again for your hard work! It's a lean, mean cut for sure!

It's fascinating actually. I think if they'd kept the scene with Batman and Joker in the interrogation room, having the scene between Riddler and Joker wouldn't feel out of place at all. I think they together they make for compelling worldbuilding.

But since they removed that deleted scene with Batman, showing Joker at the end just rubbed people the wrong way including me- as if it's sequel baiting. And I understand it's a franchise, but keeping both or none at all would've been a much better way to go.

Oh yes, the hardest part is always starting. Looking forward to your first edit!

Back
Top Bottom