• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The ARROWVERSE (Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends,etc)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm waiting on Bob's concluding thoughts for Supergirl... When even its devoted fan of an AV Club reviewer says that over half the plot of the two-part finale is disastrous, I'm not much tempted to check it out. Having only seen a few S1 episodes and crossover appearances, it strikes me that this was a show with a great lead, but lame writing and a seriously flawed roster of supporting performers from the start. Since I'm not going to be watching any full seasons of the show anytime soon, are there any exceptional and reasonably self-contained episodes from the series to recommend?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm waiting on Bob's concluding thoughts for Supergirl..

Fare thee well SUPERGIRL.

During its six season run, the series was always a reliable watch for me. While it never hit the "OMG!" heights of ARROW or THE FLASH, it also never hit the awful lows that those shows on occasion succumbed to. On a whole, Supergirl may have been the most evenly written and produced Arrowverse series. It was also the boldest show of the OG Arrowverse. While it had the same fun, hopeful Bronze Age Heroics as The Flash, it also tackled current issues both directly and through allegory. It may not have always worked or you may not have agreed with it, but I applauded it for at least trying. For me, it usually handled it's large ensemble cast better than the other Arrowverse series..... well, except Jimmy of course. The show never knew what to do with poor Jimmy lol.

The finale episode brought back many faces of the past, and while it featured one last epic Super Friends battle royal during the first act, the remainder of the episode was focused on goodbyes, new beginnings and Kara wrestling with what her new role will be moving forward. It was a bright and hope filled final episode, which what Supergirl is all about. All in all, for me, a low key but satisfying goodbye.

Ranking my favourite seasons...

1. Season FOUR: For me, just everything "clicked" and Paid Off in this arc, from the rise of extremism/hate represented by Agent Liberty to delightful evil manipulations of Red Daughter by Lex Luthor played masterfully by Jon Cryer. A great balance of characters, social commentary and comic book heroics.

2. Season TWO: the show moved from big budget CBS to the CW, along with filming locations from L.A. to Vancouver, and in the process lost it's best character of Cat Grant. But what it gained was significantly BOLDER storytelling, the arrival of Lillian and Lena Luthor, the threat of CADMUS and a Daxamite invasion. Plus, Tyler Hoechlin pitch perfect performance as Superman.

3. Season THREE: An exciting, rich but very uneven season. The introduction of the LEGION, with Brainy joining the cast full time. The epic Earth-X crossover event! And the villainy of Morgan Edge and Reign. The season arcs loss some cohesion by the final, but is a fun riding getting there.

4. Season ONE: Perhaps the lightest, safest season, it was very fun, filled with great character beats and big production values. The highlight for me is just simply Benoist's dual performance as Kara and Supergirl, as there was strong focus to differentiate the two. This would soften as the series progressed, and I greatly missed this element, but it lends power to the character's final decision in the series finale. Also, one can not understate the incredible performance by Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant. The show was never the same without her.

5. Season SIX: while this final season was a bit disjointed due to Covid restrictions and Benoist's absence in the first third, the series went out BIG in terms of increased FX and character dynamics. Some very fun, if silly, Silver Age shenanigans thanks to the Imp villainess Nxlly and the always delightful Lex Luthor.

6. Season FIVE: a season that just never quite lived up to it's full potential. The LEVIATHAN threat never quite felt epic enough, and the exploration of social media obsession never cuts deep enough. I did enjoy how the series took full advantage of the Crisis of Infinite Earths aftermath to alter the show dynamics and there was solid guest cast baddies.

drvrjon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was underwhelmed with the Supergirl finale. i think there were things that could have or should have been done differently, but i hope some of the characters will be able to return in future flash or legends episodes for one big finale event to end the arrowverse when the time comes

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A nice series overview that parallels most of my thoughts and feelings about the series...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE FLASH: ARMAGEDDON

This 5 Part adventure is the most fun the series has been in years! I think I smiled happily through all of it. A great balance of earnestness, cheesiness and Bronze Age heroics.

Lots of rewards for long time fans of not just The Flash, but of the Arrowverse as a whole.

The show really felt rejuvenated and I hope it continues its upward momentum when it returns in March. (y)šŸ˜

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (season seven)

Wowzers! What a comeback!

After a very tired, underwhelming season six (I was ready to call it quits), Legends returned this past year fully revitalized and full of spunk!

Putting a fresh spin on past formula, with more hilarious, heartfelt focus on the characters over plot, season seven was wonderfully entertaining.
The season finale was rousing, heartwarming and heroic -- all the reasons why I fell in love with the Arrowverse all those years ago. And of course, it ends on cliffhanger. Though the real cliffhanger is the CW has yet to announced if the series has been renewed for an eighth season.

An excellent season.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BATWOMAN (season 3 finale CW)

Batwoman third season came to a close this past week, and on a whole, this was it's best season so far.

Producers chose to do a Deep Dive into the Batman mythos this year, resurrecting/reinventing many of the Dark Knight's rogues gallery. Also, gone were The Crows, with Batwoman interacting with Gotham Police more. And there were many references to historic comic book moments, such as the murder of Robin by Joker. So on the surface, it felt a bit more like a Batman show.

But it is also a CW show, so almost every threat, villain, has some personal connection to Team Batwoman. ARROW also did this repeatedly, though I think they did it better... or perhaps this style of storytelling just feels old and tired at this point?

It didn't help that the driving theme of the season was Wilder discovering, and then trying to save, her biological family, when they are not very good people. Also, the whole Joker Buzzer quest never really worked for; even by comic book logic it seemed unbelievable.

But there were some great performances this season. In particular, Rachel Skarsten stole the show as her Alice character struggled with her madness and sins.

The likeable cast keeps you tuned in when the show traveled some well worn paths and the occasional fresh twist kept you hooked for more. In the end, it was comfortable entertainment

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't watch Batwoman, but I can't shake off the feeling that Kate should have been killed off when Ruby Rose left the show.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't watch Batwoman, but I can't shake off the feeling that Kate should have been killed off when Ruby Rose left the show.

I thought her replacement Wallis Day was a excellent casting choice. I would even go so far to say she was better suited for the role than Rose. Alas, we shall never know.... but with that said, Javicia Leslie has incredible onscreen charisma (again, far more than Rose ever displayed) and has made the role her own.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought her replacement Wallis Day was a excellent casting choice. I would even go so far to say she was better suited for the role than Rose. Alas, we shall never know.... but with that said, Javicia Leslie has incredible onscreen charisma (again, far more than Rose ever displayed) and has made the role her own.
confused schitts creek GIF by CBC

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL!

Though Ruby Rose left Batwoman at the end of season one, the character of Kate Kane was found alive -- badly burned, injured, amnesia -- given good old plastic surgery to give her a new face and remove her tattoos and was played by Wallis Day during season two.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL!

Though Ruby Rose left Batwoman at the end of season one, the character of Kate Kane was found alive -- badly burned, injured, amnesia -- given good old plastic surgery to give her a new face and remove her tattoos and was played by Wallis Day during season two.
I heard. I just don't know how to feel about that.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BATWOMAN has been officially cancelled after three seasons.

Still no word on the future of LEGENDS OF TOMORROW.

SUPERMAN & LOIS continues to be excellent and has been renewed for season three.

THE FLASH has been overall solid thus far this year, and will return for a final 20 episode season run.

STARGIRL has completed filming season three, though an airdate I don't think has been announced yet?

:)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
.....Aaaaand it is official, LEGENDS OF TOMORROW has been cancelled.

Looks like the Arrowverse is on its last legs.

Not surprising. Once Warner Brothers got bought out, it was pretty clear Discovery was going to do some major house cleaning.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched any of these series for years but I'd tune in if they do one last megacrossover series finale.

Top Bottom