• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

THE ARMY OF THE TWELVE MONKEYS: Remixed by Jorge

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3835/4ndh.mp4

essentialposter2.png

What is it about? A trimmer, less chaotic and tone down version.
Original film name: TWELVE MONKEYS (1995)
Film studio name: Universal Studios
Fan Edit Released: December 2010
Original Runtime: 126 mins.
New Runtime: 90 min
DVD - Features:
Menus 16.9
Scene Selection Menus
presented in 2:35:1
Audio: surround sound 5.1 mix

essentialfb2.png

essentialinner.png

Concept: With its shifts in tone and style as exemplified by Brad Pitt's buggy loony-toon and Bruce Willis's movingly bewildered introvert, Terry Gilliam's apocalyptic fantasy "TWELVE MONKEYS'' is even weirder than it sounds. Less a Terminator-type action movie than a spectacularly disorienting inaction movie, this is a movie that I should re-watch all the time, but don't. It doesn't reward repeated viewing.
The film's a terrible mess, but a terribly beautiful, tender mess.

To be able to go with the very eccentric "TWELVE MONKEYS'' one really needs to know up front that it is a film by a Monty Python member who had a big win with "The Fisher King" and before that, a big flop with "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen."And as a more specific frame of reference, it helps to know that Gilliam's earlier directing efforts were the Orwellian sci-fi cult favorite "Brazil" and the dark time-travel comedy "Time Bandits."If you have any familiarity with the latter two pictures, you may have some idea of just how weird and wonderful and bizarre and frustrating "TWELVE MONKEYS''" is. In terms of plot, we're back in the time-travel territory of "Time Bandits," while the film's dark, dank, cluttered and visually arresting style owes more than a little to "Brazil."

collectionfb.png

collectioninner.png

Although he's great at building worlds of his own, Gilliam was never one for a subtle fine touch. And this is were he starts losing me. His 1990 Baltimore asylum is a ward full of central casting "loonies" who stare catatonically ahead or speak of travel to fictional planets. It's all wide angle distorted dutch-tilted shots while the actual "loony tunes" cartoon plays on the tv. When Cole falls in love with the fresh air of 1996 and goes bananas for Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World", as that world looks headed for disaster, the irony is way over the top.

Gilliam does not tell his story in a linear fashion, but instead jumps back and forth in time and offers occasional hints about where it will all end up. And thus there's a lack of any real sense of suspense. As soon as Willis tells Stowe the fate of a little boy trapped in a well, I knew that would be the key to whether or not she believed his outlandish tale of the future. As soon as Willis' dream is shown for the third or fourth time, I knew how the movie would end. The acting is good, and the visuals are sharp. But at two hours long, they should have just settled for six monkeys.

icanfb.png

icaninner.png

So the attempt with this fanedit is to reverse the chaos (demementomix?) and pick one of the shifting tones.
Gone are all the Loony bits and we focus on the mystery of James Cole.
He's got no history, no pass and no records. Is he insane or does he really come from the future?
We don't know for sure because we straighten up the multi time shift hopping and tell the story with a single flashback. We also remove all the scenes in the future.
The attempt is to shift the focus from Cole to Dr Reilly. This way we are never sure if Cole is telling the truth of if he indeed is insane.
Hopefully this tone down version will make the film more accessible for repeated viewing.

warfb.png

warinnerfinal.png

Amount of time Cut/Added: the following are in fanedit order.
Chronological re-assemble of the entire film.
All of Cole's memory/dreams flashforbackards are gone
All the scenes in the future are gone… well mostly gone
new opening scene
Trimmed Dr Reilly's presentation
Trimmed Frank Gorshin. The Riddler is mostly gone.
Trimmed policy station interrogation.
Added new music cues from VERTIGO
Trimmed asylum
Trimmed Brad Pitt's insane monologues
Deleted the phone call
Deleted Dr Goines kidnapping
Deleted kid James Cole at the airport
Rearranged airport chase
new ending
many more trims to remember
New color treatment to entire film
The film is reformatted to 2:35:01.

WATCH THE MOTION POSTER
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3835/4ndh.mp4

or to catch it full screen go to

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A reverse mementomix? Interesting! I love 12 Monkeys as it is, but this sounds like a fun alternate version worth checking out. :)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Like the esteemed Frink, I have no issues with the original 12 Monkeys, but the approach sounds promising. So once more into the breach my friend, it shall be a pleasure to lock horns with you again.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I too am interested in this. Sounds very promising!

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
Like the esteemed Frink, I have no issues with the original 12 Monkeys, but the approach sounds promising. So once more into the breach my friend, it shall be a pleasure to lock horns with you again.
Finally a worthy opponent!!!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also cannot wait for this one! Love the original.

Nice advertising btw!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:yo:

And thank you for continuing the "i can read movies" line :rockon::rockon::rockon:

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm interested. But this:

The film is reformatted to 2:35:01.

Why? With all due respect, all it does is screwing up composition and making unnecessary black bars on your TV, IMHO.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This concept is full of win in my book. Will be watched.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
I'm interested. But this:

Why? With all due respect, all it does is screwing up composition and making unnecessary black bars on your TV, IMHO.

I can't speak for Jorge, but I personally did this on one of my edits because I think the 2:35:01 ratio is better looking for the eyes, and well, I don't know, more "glamorus" in a way (I always was a bit disapointed that Aliens was not 2:35:01, like all the other Alien movies for example). And I guess Jorge cropped each scene (and sometime each shot) for the composition to look good (huge work sometime)
It's also just another way to make the fanedit looking different than the original. And that is the goal of this fanedit as far as I understand it.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I can't speak for Jorge, but I personally did this on one of my edits because I think the 2:35:01 ratio is better looking for the eyes, and well, I don't know, more "glamorus" in a way (I always was a bit disapointed that Aliens was not 2:35:01, like all the other Alien movies for example). And I guess Jorge cropped each scene (and sometime each shot) for the composition to look good (huge work sometime)
It's also just another way to make the fanedit looking different than the original. And that is the goal of this fanedit as far as I understand it.
he's in my brain!!!!
both dead on the money mi amigo.
in the editing process there's an entire pass dedicated to re-framing shots. it's difficult because it's a subtle thing and sometimes subcounciously you want to give a badly composed shot a pass.
but it's all about a "new ride to enjoy an old film"

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My opinion still stands, though. I feel there's nothing to gain - except black bars on your TV.

But you do what you want, of course. I'll still watch this, as I'm all for all the other parts of the description. :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
***This review contains spoilers ****

Twelve Monkeys is one of Terry Gilliam's best movies IMO. It is also a really working example how his style of mixing genres and working on several stages at the same time (odd, funny, dramatic, thrilling) kind of works in perfection.
In the end I as the audience had seen a movie that was fascinating, amusing, emotional and tense at the same time. Not all popcorn cinema, but highly artistic.
Jorge's Army Of The Twelve Monkeys is a more sorted version that only plays in 1990 and 1996 (with an ending int he future) and it is chronological. It also contains a lot less oddities, but left in quite a few, making these stick out even more than they did before (like the madness of Goines). While trying to focus on a more streamlined and less odd version, the flow of the original is not happening, but replaced by a very different, still odd mood. The struggle of Cole that really kept the movie going falls flat, the superb emotional finale falls flat, but Madeleine Stowe's character suddenly becomes the leading role and the entire movie is more the experience of her adventures with Cole.
As that the fanedit works and presents the audience with a very different movie, which is wonderfully executed and pulled through.
I consider the original the much better movie, but for a different version this one was truly interesting and kept me entertained. It is a fabulous and consistent effort to truly change a movie experience.
The ending in the future, which is actually the beginning of the original did not work too well for me. The intention, when Cole finds the sign was clear, yet emotionally nothing happened and the credits running were confusing.

Technical notes:
The pinkish coloring and the blurry image quality were not working so well for me. The reformatting was most of all perfect, except for some very few scenes, which were too obvious and brought the reformatting to my attention (example: taxi driver and a few face close-ups).

Rating:
No more numbers from me, but this was good. I recommend it. Very well done, Jorge.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should go with streetlights. :peace:
Nice review, thank you.
Sadly Goine's plays a big role in James's journey and thus he could not be totally removed.
The ending is supposed to be different than the original, so i guess in comparison you could call it flat.
I wasnt going for the same drama as the original, i was striving more for pathos: Cole is doomed to repeat his life eternally, a prisoner of this temporal loop he's in. For me, that' sadder than his actual death.
But listen Im not complaining, your reviews are always welcomed. :rockon:

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched this last night and enjoyed it for the most part. You took a truely fascinating and artistic fim by Terry Gilliam and made it your own. Well done. I knew from the outset that was the way you were going to end the movie and for the most part it works. But along with what Boon said I was kinda scratching my head when the beginning credits were appearing thinking to myself "Why are those popping up?" Then it occurred to me that was the end of the film coming up and Cole was going to keep repeating the same thing over and over.

I really enjoyed the new aspect ratio, gives it more of a cinematic experience, but some of the color treatment was particularly odd. Not saying it was bad, just a little to pink for me. Also, I wish the video quality was a tad bit better because everything seemed a tad bit washed out. I will give you major props though because it must have been hell to color correct the entire film. For that I say, "Good Job". The audio once again was fantastic. No hard cuts anywhere. Everything was clear and concise.

I must admit I found your "Blue Skies on Mars" much more fulfilling. However, you have once again crafted another wonderfully executed fan-edit by creating a totally unique and alternate version for viewers to watch. With that said, all that remains is "Was I entertained in the end?" The short answer......"You Betcha!"

Recommended. Good job Jorge! :D

Top Bottom