• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

THE ARMY OF THE TWELVE MONKEYS: Remixed by Jorge

STANKPAC said:
I really enjoyed the new aspect ratio, gives it more of a cinematic experience, but some of the color treatment was particularly odd. Not saying it was bad, just a little to pink for me. Also, I wish the video quality was a tad bit better because everything seemed a tad bit washed out. I will give you major props though because it must have been hell to color correct the entire film. For that I say, "Good Job". The audio once again was fantastic. No hard cuts anywhere. Everything was clear and concise.
Recommended. Good job Jorge! :D
The color treatment. I was trying for a color-coding without having to repeat the same color/blacknwhite of my mementomixes.
So I was going for different color treatments. The present gets a bleach-bypass effect with hard contrast, deep blacks and heavy on the blues. So whats the opposite of that? With the asylum i was going for a skin toned, retro washed out photograph effect. Radical? why not.
the fun is in the experimenting. Not the cash i make on these.

But I must remember for next year, you boys downloaded this muther wayyyy to fast.
Next year I'm posting it on Dec 23. :p

This review is based on my opinions and my personal viewing experience. Nothing is meant as an attack. Spoiler warning.

I'll keep it short 'n sweet.

Loved it!!! Damn cool, once again.
Loved the "then" and "now" aspect.
The new Perspective worked great for me.
Audio seemed perfect to me.
LOVED the reframing, this film looks great in scope!
ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY F'ING LOVED the new color treatment, totally awesome! it's like looking at a beautiful flower in full bloom. Bravo on that one my man!
A couple things baffled me at first, but i soon caught on. No i'm not gonna mention them for spoiler purposes.

9 out of 10!

Just finished watching Jorge's latest opus.

To give myself some perspective, I watched this edit with my Father-inlaw,
who has never seen the original movie.
(heck, he says he has never seen a Bruce Willis movie either... unbelievable!)

As an avid fan of the original, I was very curious to get an outsider's point of view...
Did he understand the narrative?
Were there any points of confusion?
Did the story entertain?

Because in the end, no matter how fancy or technical the edit may be,
it has to about Story and Entertainment Value.

So what did my 67 year old, former school teacher and principal, Father-inlaw think?

He loved it.

The madness of the movie totally captured his attention and would not let go.
In fact, he made me pause the movie any time he had to leave the room,
he did not want to miss a moment of the story.

Afterwards, I quizzed him if had any questions about the movie or if he felt there were any weak areas.
He shook his head resoundingly "NO",
he said as far as he could tell it all worked for him
and he had no idea what might have been edited in or out of the movie.

So for me, that is an awesome review!
When a non-movie watcher will sit through an entire edit
and be entertained by the new narrative,
you know you have winner on your hands.

From, my perspective, I would have to agree.
This edit really works well throughout.

The new timeline is smooth, and works better than the original.
I really enjoyed the new colour treatment,
it gave the movie a very stark quality,
and heightened the entire narrative for me.

The new aspect ratio works really well,
though I did notice in the Chris Plummer/David Morse lab scene
that their heads seemed very cut off in the close up.

I think all the cuts worked, though I sort of missed the phone call.

If I had to nitpik, I think I would have ended the movie on Young Cole
in the airport parking lot,
and not have travelled to the future at all,
as it would have stayed with the original premise
and kept the future more a mystery. But that's just me.

Another fine piece of work by Jorge.
As always, the techinical aspects are superior.

I would give this wonderful edit a solid 9.5/10.

Now, bring on JEDI!!!!:)

Wow, thank you and your father inlaw too.
Yeah the phone call. it had to go because at the end of it Cole loses his temper and then we abruptly go into a dream sequence.
so i cut in in such a way as to make it seem like the doctors think he's a hopeless loony. don't even bother humouring him.
I too think the ending with the kid would have worked but you know me, gotta get as much of a new ride as i can.
and there were all those wonderful scenes of the future.
thanks again dude.

Hey Jorge.

Good work my friend, good work. Watched with a friend and we are quite familiar with the original - which we both like. I really, really like how this just works. The shift is fantastic, Railly really is the central character now. Removal of all the time-travelling and Cole scenes just plays all into it. If I'd never have seen this film before, the intrigue would really have worked even better. Given the evidence, you're never really sure if Cole is genuine.

My friend compared it somewhat to K-PAX, it worked in the same way, almost like Miracle on 34th Street.

I didn't mind it, but my friend didn't like the ending.

New colouring = very trippy/dream like. Loved it.

I was a little uncertain on the ending. Am I to believe that after Cole is shot, he returns to the future where he then goes on a creature-capture expedition and finds a sign 'We did it'? Or does this take place before Cole goes to the past, as in the original?

Anyway Jorge, like I said, good work dude. I'm starting to think a bit like you now - looking at films that are already good to some extent and think "Is there another story or another way of telling this?". May bring me out of retirement!

white43 said:
Hey Jorge.

Good work my friend, good work. Watched with a friend and we are quite familiar with the original - which we both like. I really, really like how this just works. The shift is fantastic, Railly really is the central character now. Removal of all the time-travelling and Cole scenes just plays all into it. If I'd never have seen this film before, the intrigue would really have worked even better. Given the evidence, you're never really sure if Cole is genuine.

My friend compared it somewhat to K-PAX, it worked in the same way, almost like Miracle on 34th Street.

I didn't mind it, but my friend didn't like the ending.

New colouring = very trippy/dream like. Loved it.

I was a little uncertain on the ending. Am I to believe that after Cole is shot, he returns to the future where he then goes on a creature-capture expedition and finds a sign 'We did it'? Or does this take place before Cole goes to the past, as in the original?

Anyway Jorge, like I said, good work dude. I'm starting to think a bit like you now - looking at films that are already good to some extent and think "Is there another story or another way of telling this?". May bring me out of retirement!
Thanks man. awesome compliment. And yes please do come out of retirement.
At the airport there are 2 Coles: the one that gets shot and the child. Dr Railly sees him and identifies him. She realizes its him and the future will happen as Cole said. So then we cut from the shot of young Cole to the shot of Old Cole in the future. Because young Cole will eventually become ol Cole.
The attempt was to show that Cole is a prisoner. Caught in an eternal temporal loop. It's the theme running throughout the film: Cole is a prisoner.

Oh OK, but,
when we see Cole in the future, unseen guy is telling him that he 'sure fucked up' and all that - so I assumed he meant about all the stuff we'd just seen.....but don't worry about it, I'm not as sharp as I used to be ;-)

I'm afraid the .info link does not contain the .dlc :-(

Sorry, we'll take care of that as soon as possible!

Ok .DLC on .info
(they are megaupload files even though it is still written Multiupload for now.)

Download of DLC is working, but one of the links inside it seems to be dead (part03) because JDownloader gives me a "file not found" error.

Edit: Never mind the "broken" link, it's working fine now. Must have been some kinda MU-glitch.

My review

I loved this new edit from Jorge.
The original is an amazing movie but this new take is so smart.
This time the audience is more or less at the same level of knowledge as the female character,
Only the mysterious vanishings of Willis can make us wonder if he’s telling the truth after all.
And so when she discovers the truth, watching that picture, that scene is so much stronger now, IMO.

I just love the new way to tell the ending, a bit like one of those Twilight Zone, or The Prisoner, episodes
where the hero finds himself brought back where he started (well, not really, since it is his “younger self”
that is seen on that last scene, but for the audience, in this case me, it worked the same.)
It was also the same kind of thing in the original, but told differently.
Maybe the original ends on a more emotional way, but this edit needed to end like this, IMO. If not for explaining
the animals screams and roars that Willis hears during the movie when he is visiting some places, at least for the
audience to really understand where did the character come from.

I know the goal of the edit was not to make it better than the original,
but to me it is close to that, and at least as good.
In fact I think this edit needed to be done! But only Jorge knew it, before us all!
(you can add that last line on your next advertise, Jorge! )

It’s probably my favorit Jorge’s edit and I can’t think of anything I did not like about it,
(maybe Jorge made better video quality in the past… but it was okay, exept on some dark scenes.
I guess it’s the price for the color change. that I also liked)
So I think I can rate this edit a 10/10.

Oh, and my rating (as well as DwightFry's one) makes your edit already entering the greatest fanedit page!
Congrats.

Thank you very much for your perceptive and generous review. Means a lot coming from you.
Thanks Dwight as well, though i would have love to hear from him as well. He' a hard one to please.
Nice way to start the year.

killbillme said:
Thanks Dwight as well, though i would have love to hear from him as well. He' a hard one to please.
Then you'll be glad to know I enjoyed it very much! :)
This take is about as good as the original (which I love), plus it lost quite a bit of dead weight in the process. I'm VERY glad to see less Brad Pitt overacting, he was always the weakest link in the film. Having Madeleine Stowe as the main character worked mostly well, unfortunately she's not that well developed a character. Not your fault, in any case.

The new color correction, sadly, visibly degraded the picture quality, which shows heavy blocking in the darkest video areas. However, it was a noble and risky move, particularly if, as I suspect, you were trying to imitate the color palette of Vertigo. And it works wonders and couldn't be more fitting.

As usual with your edits, loved the ending. And loved the covers, it's nice how you make them in the arthouse DVD release style. More La Jetée than 12 Monkeys, if you know what I mean. What was quite disappointing is not having any extra features on the disc itself. I miss the goodies of your past releases.

Overall, a 9/10 that only barely missed the 10 mark. Technical stuff, and that. One of your best!

I missed hearing Pitt's speech about "consumers", but then again, he did it better in Fight Club lol. Also, I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that I didn't like the new coloring. Maybe it's because I've gone through three tvs this holiday season trying to find the best one (I've gone from Samsung, to LG, to Panasonic) but I could see the pixels of the new colors in lots of places, as well as a "circle" of color in the center of the frame. Now, granted my tv is a 720, and I had the format on "zoom" so that the picture took up the whole screen. So that's just me.

My problem with the ending wasn't so much seeing the future, or fading to black on "we did it", but the guy he's speaking to, and James asking "who am I supposed to shoot". Then he has a gun. I think it would've been better if you kept in the entire part of the guy who gives him the gun. This is the end of the film and at this point we know for sure that James really does come from the future, so why take that part out? If i hadn't seen the original film first i would have no idea what's going on.

Other than that I enjoyed this fan edit a lot. I like how Madeline Stowe's character is now the main character. I like how the tone of the film now is "Is he crazy or not?", and how as the film progresses we slowly but surely get our answer. I'll give it an 8.5 out of 10.

tylerdurden389 said:
...I had the format on "zoom" so that the picture took up the whole screen.

fgoJY.gif

Lol, what can I say? I bought a new tv so that I can actually have the picture take up the whole screen. My old tube tv would make the picture smaller when I watched cable. Now my new tv makes the dvd picture smaller instead lol.

Back
Top Bottom