• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Adventures Of Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates Of The Caribbean Fanedit series)

This isn't a general POTC discussion thread. Start one if you like.

TM2YC said:
This isn't a general POTC discussion thread. Start one if you like.
Oh, didn't mean to go off-topic - I was just building on what was said before. I can get carried away sometimes when talking about movies, so apologies for that.

Just wanted to add that, in any case, I aspire to the technical professionalism that you approach your POTC fan cuts with - you really have a good way of working with color and sound.

Also, the animated "Map" opening would be great for OST and I'm sad it won't be included. That brief snippet on vimeo looks fantastic - and I could imagine it zooming in until the map dissolves or flashes to live action.

Neosmith said:
But those fun elements only work as well as they do because they appear in tandem with all the darker and more serious material.
Disagree. The darker moments are obviously necessary but the films often get overly serious (see AWE).

What about the three-way swordfight, which is pretty much a POTC take on the TGTBATU three-way gunfight? I mean, three duelists, a graveyard in the distance, a pretty unconventional duel...
Leone is in this series' DNA front and center.
I never denied the DNA was there. Just arguing that the end result isn't quite as powerful. The three-way sword fight is fun, but the suspense is nothing in comparison to TGTBATU.

In other words, those films are overlong primarily in the sense that they don't ascribe to genre conventions.
I don't mind "long" films except when they drag. The Pirates films drag (and are indeed often overlong, indulgent and bloated). I'm a fan of the series overall (except for 4 which I haven't seen) but it's not high art. TM2YC is bringing out the series's strengths, in my opinion. The subtle genre twists are still there but the needlessly complex plots and tonal discrepancies aren't.

Knowing TM2YC, I'm about 100% sure his edits are better than the theatrically released films (the only thing I really disagree with is the nomenclature, but that's no biggie). Even though these edits have been around for awhile I've put them off until he finishes the set... but talking about these movies is really making me want to watch them so I might cave.

Could I get a link of these two cuts (2nd and 3rd movie) so I could watch them? I agree with some issues with originals (watched them recently).
@kaitchu87 , don't ask for links in public forums. Savvy?
Read FE's Rules about participating in the forums: don't ask for links to fanedits in public forums. Don't do it again.

"Removed Jones murdering Beckett's man because again it made no sense. Why hadn't he done it before?"

Because Mercer's men were guarding the chest and could kill him at a second's moment. He decided to kill him during the battle when all the men were busy fighting the pirates and he could get in and take back the heart. If he killed him before, then his men would just blow up the heart and he'd be dead.

It's.....................not that hard to figure out.

"Removed Jones visiting Calypso scene. It was a nice scene but made no sense. If Jones could get into Shipwreck Cove this easily, why was he waiting outside?"

Because at that moment, he just wanted to kill Calypso. He only didn't do it because he still had feelings for her and she didn't know that he let the Court bound her. He saw it as a second chance with her. The scene also explains why Davy Jones is all "SHE'LL NOT HARM US" with the Maelstorm. With that scene out of the film, it just seems pointless.

Also, Calypso was meant to be the Court's Hail Mary against the EITC, so going in to kill her would have basically have defeated them period.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom