• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Adventures Of Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates Of The Caribbean Fanedit series)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Another badass cover!

Thanks! :)

MP4 done, still some work on the DVD before I upload it. Finished the cutlist for 'The Heart Of Davy Jones'...

- Recoloured film throughout to tone down blueish hue
- Blackspot subplot removed
- Elizabeth temporarily loving Jack removed so she stay faithful to Will...
- As a result, all footage of Will and Elizabeth falling out removed from this and the next film
- All scenes of Jack before Will locates him removed to move the film along 12.5 minutes quicker and to help us engage with Will's quest
- Where possible, relevant scenes grouped together so they flow from one to the other instead of jumping from place to place and character to character

00.00.00 Added TM2YC Ident
00.52.02 Removed original title
00.02.15 Removed wedding exposition line (We've got eyes)
00.03.01 Removed reference to Norrington (To early to be reminding the audience about an old character we don't meet again for about an hour)
00.03.40 Removed slow 6 minute 'key capture' exposition sequence. Again the key-drawing information isn't important for another 30 minutes
00.03.41 Added new 'The Heart of Davy Jones' title over map shot
00.04.14 Removed Will's line about him not being friends with Jack (Stop the movie there shall we! If our heroes don't even care about each other, why should we?)
00.05.59 Removed 6.5 minute 'Bootstrap visitation' exposition scene. Once again we don't need this information for about the first half hour
00.13.02 Moved Elizabeth's escape to after Will and Jack have escaped on the Pearl (As that is a natural place for the 2nd act to begin)
00.16.30 Removed Jack's failed 'Paprika' escape
00.27.20 Trimmed Jack's line about Elizabeth, so his last words are "How much do you know about Davy Jones?" leading into the narrative thrust of the 2nd act
00.27.52 Added back deleted scene of Gov. Swann giving Elizabeth a pistol
00.3.26 Brought 2nd Elizabeth scene forward so it now flows from the first removing the brief visual confusion created by the original placement
00.39.40 Removed 'blackspot' dialogue
00.42.09 Brought 3rd Elizabeth scene forward
00.43.46 Removed shot of Will rowing over to the wreck
00.47.19 Removed shot of Jones watching the man's throat being cut (I felt it was too violent for a fun family film)
00.48.15 Will now only mentions Jack's debt once
00.51.14 Removed shot of the blackspot
00.55.47 Two shots of Beckett's magic travelling henchman removed
00.56.46 Removed shot of bootstrap responding to his name
01.05.28 Removed Gov. Swann agreeing to help Beckett so the last we see of him alive is disheveled, beaten and in chains being threatened (He will not be alive in the next film)
01.05.32 Black Pearl deck scene discussing Beckett brought forward so it links with the last one
01.06.57 Removed end of deck scene where Elizabeth is shown to be in love with Jack
01.13.06 Removed Will banging Organ as it was ludicrously loud
01.20.40 Removed 1st shot of Will climbing onto the Dutchman
01.20.53 Removed 2nd shot of Will climbing onto the Dutchman
01.21.42 Removed Elizabeth's "I'm so ready to be married" line as it felt odd to me given her tom-boy character
01.22.37 New match cut created removing all footage of Elizabeth being flattered by Jack's advances, so now her insulting him reads as genuine
01.23.14 Removed footage of Elizabeth flirting and teasing Jack (As nice as it was)
01.23.15 Removed blackspot being shown again
01.24.24 Removed shots showing Elizabeth's compass pointing at Jack
01.24.29 Removed lizabeth dialogue about the compass
01.38.23 Removed shots of Norrington obviously taking the heart so it later comes as a surprise. Plus we now also think Norrington is genuinely being a hero by escaping with the chest
01.48.00 Removed shot of Jack having second thoughts about fleeing so it's a surprise when he later comes back
01.49.50 Recut 'shooting the gunpowder' scene so it no longer appears that Jack is trying to kill Will
01.51.52 Radicaly recut and reduced kissing scene so Will doesn't see it and Elizabeth only kisses Jack just long enough to trap him
01.52.01 Removed most of Elizabeth's dialogue during this scene
01.52.26 Removed Will's bitter looks at Elizabeth and remixed music and audio
01.53.45 Reduced length of rare dodgy CGI shot of the Kraken roaring
01.54.17 New match cut so Jack no longer runs at the Kraken but just holds his ground
01.55.44 Moved Norrington/Beckett encounter to final scene
01.55.45 Removed start of swamp montage
01.57.27 Removed shot of Will looking angrily at Elizabeth
02.00.03 Remixed ending music and dialogue audio to end the film on Norrington's line "The Heart of Davy Jones"
02.09.04 Added thankyou titlecard for thread contributers
02.09.10 Removed 'Dog diety' post credits scene and replaced it with...
02.09.11 'Alternate Ending' deleted scene radically recut into new brief post credits scene forshadowing the opening to the next film. Norrington has been removed, as by this time he is probably having a bath and a shave

FanEdit Length - 129 Minutes
Original Length - 150 Minutes
Time Added - 1 Minute
Time Removed - 22 Minutes

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fingers crossed but hopefully the DVD for THODJ is done now. Not quite in time to release this week.

I'm not sure which of the other two films to edit next, after I've finished additional work on AWE.

9773921136_aa50945ed2.jpg

or

9773963623_295f6cef81.jpg

^ Odd that Jack's hair is a different colour in POTC4

Probably POTC1 I guess to finish off the initial trilogy. I think both will be light edits as enjoyed 1 & 4 the most. Both are still far too long and convoluted though.

btw Has anybody watched the AWE workprint yet and has any thoughts?

(Usual password)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Arrrggghh errors on the DVD, why god why?!?! :x

Tempted just to release the mp4 at this stage.:-(

Solid11

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just to give you some encouragement, I PLAN on watching these soon - I just don't have time yet... From what I've seen though, they're looking great! Keep up the good work!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Avast me hearties!

tumblr_m9wgvkudYH1rfxz78o1_500.gif

'Captain Jack Sparrow and The Heart of Davy Jones' is out now as a DVD and 1280x720 MP4

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally, I found On Stranger Tides to be the worst of the films, but this is your edit, so edit the film that you would find most enjoyable.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nic said:
Personally, I found On Stranger Tides to be the worst of the films, but this is your edit, so edit the film that you would find most enjoyable.

OST is as much of a mess as the rest IMO but at least it's silly and fun and not as ponderous as something like AWE. Plus I thought Lovejoy and Penelope Pitstop made awesome Pirates...

lempi3.jpg

P1__Penelope_Cruz_1_267257k.jpg

...one is a gorgeous sex siren with long flowing dark hair and the other is Penélope Cruz... boom boom! :D

maxgremlin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry if its somewhere in this thread and I've just missed it, but what is the "usual password"?

BTW, this looks awesome. It didn't occur to me before but if there was any one franchise that really needed the fanedit treatment, its Pirates of the Caribbean. So bloated, self indulgent and horribly paced, makes you wonder if Verbanski really knew what he was doing (after Lone Ranger, I'd say the answer is a resounding NO!!!!). Thanks. I'm cheering for you.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maxgremlin said:
Sorry if its somewhere in this thread and I've just missed it, but what is the "usual password"?

BTW, this looks awesome. It didn't occur to me before but if there was any one franchise that really needed the fanedit treatment, its Pirates of the Caribbean. So bloated, self indulgent and horribly paced, makes you wonder if Verbanski really knew what he was doing (after Lone Ranger, I'd say the answer is a resounding NO!!!!). Thanks. I'm cheering for you.

PM sent. btw both are just workprints. THODJ has been finished since I posted them. But I'd still like feedback on my AWE edit. Thanks :)

Having edited two of his POTC films now and havig loved 'Rango' (That film is a masterpiece) I'd say Verbinski is actually a very talented and exciting Director in many ways. His compositions are imaginative, his camera is always moving in interesting ways and he knows how to put together a unique set piece. He can also direct action scenes and comedy very well which are hugely underated skills. But two things let him down, his seeming willingness to direct projects with unfinished scripts and the fact that he seems unconcerned by the length of his films.

I've heard many people say 'The Lone Ranger' would have been the film of the year if it had been 30-40 minutes shorter. I've not seen it myself but I might get it on Blu-Ray and do an edit.

With 'Rango' he had an acclaimed writer on board like John Logan and had an Oscar winning Producer like Graham King who probably kept it all tightly rained in (It's well under 2 hours and both people are frequent Scorsese collaborators). On POTC and TLR he had a horrible Producer like Jerry Bruckheimer who couldn't give a toss if a film is 2.5hrs long and makes no sense as long as there are handsome men, pretty girls and huge special effects exploding. ;-)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's been over a month since I last looked at the workprint of 'Song of the Brethren Court'. Time to revisit it with fresh eyes and see what else needs fixing. I'd still like to trim another 10 minutes from the sucker if I can.

Spyglass.jpg

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What about combining the films. Instead of Jack going to hell or whatever, maybe he can get sidetracked with mermaids.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
What about combining the films. Instead of Jack going to hell or whatever, maybe he can get sidetracked with mermaids.

Interesting idea but I've already cut that bit... plus I don't want to make AWE any longer ;-).

btw For some reason after almost everytime I do an edit on my AWE timeline my editor crashes now, so fine tuning it is taking time and much patience. I'm half way through sorting it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was almost going to scrap my cut of AWE and start again but I've changed my mind. I think this will be my next released project. It may take months or it might be done next week. Depends on how I feel about it :D.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, keep going. I'm sure you can work your magic on these films TM2YC!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
No, keep going. I'm sure you can work your magic on these films TM2YC!

:-D

Currently individually colour-correcting and filtering every shot of the 15 minute 'Davy Jones Locker' sequence. I'll be very glad when I've got it done.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just clicked the render button on the 2nd workprint of my 'At World's End' edit. I've gone back in and checked, considered and adjusted every edit (Plus done much more fine tuning on the colour-correction) since September's Workprint 1. The new version isn't hugely different but it's got that extra 1% polish that I'm now really happy with.

However I'm still gonna have a good watch and try to find anything else that I can cut. 2hrs18mins (30 mins slashed) still seems a tad too long for this film. I'm now thinking of going with the title 'The Hoisting of the Colours' because then the title gets more or less shouted by all our heroes in the final battle which will be fun in the same way Norrington saying 'The Heart of Davy Jones' was cool in my last POTC edit.

(btw I can't remember if somebody else suggested the title 'The Hoisting of the Colours' a while back or if I came up with it myself. Please tell me if it was your suggestion so I can give the proper credit, thanks.)

Lastly, found this f*ckin' awesome trailer for POTC...

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
(btw I can't remember if somebody else suggested the title 'The Hoisting of the Colours' a while back or if I came up with it myself. Please tell me if it was your suggestion so I can give the proper credit, thanks.)

I totally came up with that title, bro. I'm sure there's proof somewhere here in the forums.

;)
I really hate emoticons, but I wanna make sure y'all know I'm making a joke.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ :D

Too late, I've gone back to the old 'The Song of the Brethren Court' title suggested by [MENTION=25019]Radzinsky[/MENTION] (I'm nothing if not decisive ;-)). It's just thematically way more relevant and sounds better too. After viewing the 2nd workprint I'm working through a list of removals, changes, adjustments etc. Here is the latest version of the Singapore scene which has changed quite a bit...

(^ Click Vimeo button to watch in HD)

Apart from the complete recolouring (Goodbye ugly green hue, hello sweltering 90 degree turkish bath vibrant colours!), and many trims already done for Workprint2 I've now removed the typically Bruckheimer-esque pervy moments where Elizabeth is forced to strip and then Ragetti invites us all to look up her skirt. These things always bothered me (This is a fun family edit) but I couldn't find a way to remove them before because the cutaways were right in the middle of a conversation between Barbossa and Sao Feng.

But after alot of mixing of audio, additional music work and recutting I think it now works with the added bonus that alot of boring waffle and exposition (That we could barely hear anyway) has been further trimmed from this lengthy sequence (It's just over a minute shorter now). Plus I'm loving how the comic Elizabeth disarming interlude now ends on a gag (I switched the order of the shots) instead of the original humour-cancelling threat.

Radzinsky

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad to see you're going with my title. It's always nice to know someone likes your ideas. Having said that, I threw so many titles out there that it was almost inevitable that one of them would have stuck.

I'm just downloading your workprint now, and will be more than happy to go through it just like I did with your edit of Dead Man's Chest. As always, feel free to ignore and/or use any or all of my suggestions (when I post them, that is). I'll probably have them up for you by the end of the day.

Top Bottom