• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

That Thing You Do! (LP) - A not quite fully Extended Edition

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm still not keen on the amp choice. The movie is in 1964 and Fender blackface amps would have been brand new and very expensive. I found this nice picture of an old Danelectro amp which fits right in with their instruments. Guy also looks weird in front of that drum set. It's like a child-size drum set compared to him.
cf39d3dd85261a131a9e3b65a63576d9.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For the sake of accuracy.......and obsession :)

Pre-Top 100 set up:
Lenny - Silvertone 1448 with case amp, Silvertone 1484 head and cab
T.B. Player - Danelectro Standard Shorthorn Model 3612 bass and some ginormous unmarked amp
Jimmy - Gibson Les Paul Junior with what looks like a Fender Tweed Deluxe amp
Guy - unknown drum set
7.jpg

Top 100 set up:
Lenny - 1964 Fender Jaguar, 1964 Fender Band Master
T.B. Player - 1964 Fender Jazz Bass, 1964 Fender Bassman
Jimmy - Rickenbacker 330 12-String, 1964 Fender Band Master
Guy - Ludwig Drums & Zildjian cymbals
Cool note: Guy's symbols are vintage, or at least printed with the same 60's Zildjian logo
wonders-new-gear.png

zildjian-that-thing-you-do.png

60s-stamp-measure.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Editing is COMPLETE :)

The base source for this edit was Tom Hanks' Extended Edition
Other sources: Theatrical Version

Edit List:
  • Custom FE Warning
  • FE Logo by theryaney
  • Tribute to Adam Schlesigner
  • Removed Guy meeting Tina while he drives home and their night time make out fest where Tina is talking about their future prospects and telling Guy what he should do with Patterson's Appliance
  • Cut Jimmy saying, "You can hit my girlfriend's car any time". Line delivery was cheesy and Jimmy will have plenty of other moments to show how un into Faye he is
  • Cut extended Patterson's Appliance scene to remove the Telemart eye twitch scene and fight between Guy and his sister. Again, the line delivery feels cheesy and it slows down the scene. It now cuts after Guy says they should move across town.
  • Cut the whispered F-bomb by Chad
  • Removed the extended scenes of Faye, TBP, Lenny and Jimmy checking on Chad on the side of the road
  • Removed Lenny calling Chad and @$$hole
  • Removed Ken saying he's going to kick the Oneders lonely fan's @$$ after he yells at him to shut up
  • Cut extended scenes of Jimmy begging to re-record All My Only Dreams (causes a continuity error anyway when he mentions to Mr. White that they only got one take)
  • Cut shots of people taking and passing the fire extinguisher around during My Little Wild One
  • Re-inserted scene from the Theatrical cut of Horace buying a record
  • Cut some of Jimmy's freaking out at the crowd when the riot starts, now cuts to Lenny saying, 'This means they want an encore!"
  • Cut extended scene of Tina's first time in the dentists office and restored the original cut where she first meets the dentist
  • Cut Chad running into the band at Watson's when Guy gives them all radios to listen for the song
  • Repurposed opening shot (cropped) to have an exterior establishing shot after Guy says they should listen for the song on the radios
  • Added portion of The Ventures "Walk - Don't Run" during the shot of them driving past the marquee sign
  • Put Jimmy's "Shhhh!" over the top of Lenny calling Boss Vick Koss an @$$hole
  • Removed secretary implying that she heard Lenny call Boss Vick Koss it when she's talking to Guy
  • Brought argument between theatre usher and Faye up in the audio mix to create seamless removal of secretary line and visual of Guy hearing and moving on to help Faye
  • Restored Theatrical version of first performance with Playtone and the rising up the charts montage
  • Re-arranged ending of the final state fair tour performance to have them immediately pull out their cables and run off stage, then the fans start to hop the fence and storm the stage (added crowd sound effects to smooth out transitions)
  • Restored Theatrical version of Goofball's "We're being invaded line"
  • Removed some portions of Sal Siler
  • Removed Guy being dropped off and his drunken exchange with Mr. White and Lloyd
  • Reinstated the Theatrical transition of the clock and phone ringing
  • Removed scenes of the talking monkeys and Guy getting lost when he first arrives at the tv showcase
  • Cut scenes of the tv exec freaking out about milk in his coffee
  • Removed Lloyd from the credits
  • Logos placed at the end
Original Run Time: Extended Edition - 2hrs 27min / Theatrical - 1hr 48min
Edit run time: 2hrs 15min (with credits)
Time Cut: 13 minutes
Time Added: 1 minute

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What do you do when you can't sleep? Spend an inordinate amount of time creating some intro credits for your edit. #editsareneverfinishedonlyabandoned

I'll be uploading this newest version and will reach out to those who have PM'd as soon as the files is ready. Here's a sneak peak  :cool:
[align=center]

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That Thing You Do [LP] comes with English subtitles.
Just PM @"DigModiFicaTion" or myself if you got the edit before the subs were added.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revstevens said:
The video quality bounces around a bit, but I only really noticed it happening in one scene. I know it happened in other scenes but it was usually on scene changes and not very distracting.

I wouldn't have cut some of the language, personally. But I didn't really miss any of it.

In general, this was really, really well done.

If you think the extended cut was too long, give this edit a shot. It's pretty snappy.

Thanks for the review @"revstevens"! I'm curious as to mentions of the video quality. Could you share some time stamps for those? I can have a look at the project to see if there was an error. There are a few zoomed in shots that that I added sharpening on, but with the quality of the transfer of this 90's film the baseline image isn't the greatest to begin with. Let me know what the timestamps are and I'll have a look. Thanks again for the review!

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
revstevens said:
The video quality bounces around a bit, but I only really noticed it happening in one scene. I know it happened in other scenes but it was usually on scene changes and not very distracting.

I wouldn't have cut some of the language, personally. But I didn't really miss any of it.

In general, this was really, really well done.

If you think the extended cut was too long, give this edit a shot. It's pretty snappy.

Thanks for the review @"revstevens"! I'm curious as to mentions of the video quality. Could you share some time stamps for those? I can have a look at the project to see if there was an error. There are a few zoomed in shots that that I added sharpening on, but with the quality of the transfer of this 90's film the baseline image isn't the greatest to begin with. Let me know what the timestamps are and I'll have a look. Thanks again for the review!

I'll try and take a spin through it this weekend and get you some.

For the record, the never took me out of the movie and my wife never expressed any issues. She really liked the edit, by the way.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
That Thing You Do was a fun movie when the Theatrical Cut hit cinemas in 1996. The subsequent Extended Cut. wasn't perfect but did improve the experience. Now DigModiFicaTion gives us the best of both worlds by keeping the best Extended material while trimming the rest down to the Theatrical story.

Audio is impeccable throughout (crucial in a music movie!).

Ah, shucks :)
Video is excellent but not perfect: a few short transition scenes look softer than the scenes before and after (Reshoots? Pick up shots?). The green screen is noticeable when the band plays outside to a large audience (with the camera behind the drummer, you see the "cut out"). And one brief cutaway shot of street (@36m) is noticeable grainy (DigModiFicaTion confirms in the change list that this is a zoomed-in shot). Mind you, none of this is problematic to the edit's enjoyment.

The green screen is actually from the movie itself. That scene definitely has not stood the test of time. The only visual work/masking I did was the opening credits. I'd really like to find some replacement footage for those reused zoomed shots. One of the shots is unnoticeable, but the road shot was hard to sharpen up without it getting overly pixelated. I scoured the internet to see if I could find any rural 50's/60's small town HD footage but didn't have any luck. If anyone knows of a movie that has exterior small town shots that would work let me know and I'll work on a v2 to updated that one shot.
One editing detail caught my attention: the start of the bar fight. Most of the lead-up (with the fire extinguisher) is cut and it was not very clear to me what causes the fight.

The fire extinguisher was cut for a few reasons. 1) the sound drops out during these scenes when the fire extinguisher is shown in the extended version 2) I personally thought it detracted from the scene and didn't match the filming style 3) The extended version cut Horace buying the record which I felt was important to show. The only other part of the riot that is cut is Jimmy yelling at the crowd. I suppose I figured that a fire extinguisher going off in the crowd would tick people off resulting in a riot/fight.
This edit compellingly replaces both the Theatrical and the Extended Cut. Go enjoy and swing to That Thing You Do!

Full disclosure: I made the subtitles for this edit, so I am obviously a fan.

Thank you for making the subtitles and for sharing your experience with the edit! :)

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"DigModiFicaTion", scan through the Mad Men TV-series. There are regular scenes outside NYC (Don's family lives outside the city), it's the right period, and has comparable production values (as opposed to most actual 1960s footage that has an obviously different grain to it).
I just scanned through Back to the Future, Hairspray, Catch Me if You Can, and Hidden Figures. No useful shot there.

I assumed the badly-aged green screen shot was original. Our fanediting frustrations are sometimes over smaller imperfections than the flaws in top-shelf Hollywood productions!

Those opening credits work perfectly by the way. I cannot see what work is yours and what's original. :cool:

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:

Most noticeable instance is at 2:03:31. The shot of Fay just before this is pristine. But, when it cuts to Guy, there's a recognizable change in image quality. Especially when compared to the shot at 2:03:11 which is a similar angle but looks a lot "nicer".

The cropped shot of the town is one that you're already aware of. There were a few others scattered about, but they're short enough that I won't be able to find them without doing a full re-watch, which will be a little while as I've got a long list of things to watch at the moment. But, as soon as I get to it I'll make some notes for you!

Seriously though, all-in-all I didn't care enough that there were a few shots like that as the experience as a whole was pretty great.

Top Bottom