• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

That Thing You Do! (LP) - A not quite fully Extended Edition

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
that-thing-you-do-poster-3.png

I've wanted to do a hybrid approach edit to one of my favorite films of all time, That Thing You Do! utilizing the best of the theatrical and extended editions of the film. I've been a bit stuck with some more intensive edits so I'm hoping this relatively straight forward edit can help give me a boost as well as finally realize the perfect version of That Thing You Do!

[align=center]

Editing is COMPLETE :)

The base source for this edit was Tom Hanks' Extended Edition
Other sources: Theatrical Version

Edit List:
  • Custom FE Warning
  • FE Logo by theryaney
  • Tribute to Adam Schlesigner
  • Removed Guy meeting Tina while he drives home and their night time make out fest where Tina is talking about their future prospects and telling Guy what he should do with Patterson's Appliance
  • Cut Jimmy saying, "You can hit my girlfriend's car any time". Line delivery was cheesy and Jimmy will have plenty of other moments to show how un into Faye he is
  • Cut extended Patterson's Appliance scene to remove the Telemart eye twitch scene and fight between Guy and his sister. Again, the line delivery feels cheesy and it slows down the scene. It now cuts after Guy says they should move across town.
  • Cut the whispered F-bomb by Chad
  • Removed the extended scenes of Faye, TBP, Lenny and Jimmy checking on Chad on the side of the road
  • Removed Lenny calling Chad and @$$hole
  • Removed Ken saying he's going to kick the Oneders lonely fan's @$$ after he yells at him to shut up
  • Cut extended scenes of Jimmy begging to re-record All My Only Dreams (causes a continuity error anyway when he mentions to Mr. White that they only got one take)
  • Cut shots of people taking and passing the fire extinguisher around during My Little Wild One
  • Re-inserted scene from the Theatrical cut of Horace buying a record
  • Cut some of Jimmy's freaking out at the crowd when the riot starts, now cuts to Lenny saying, 'This means they want an encore!"
  • Cut extended scene of Tina's first time in the dentists office and restored the original cut where she first meets the dentist
  • Cut Chad running into the band at Watson's when Guy gives them all radios to listen for the song
  • Repurposed opening shot (cropped) to have an exterior establishing shot after Guy says they should listen for the song on the radios
  • Added portion of The Ventures "Walk - Don't Run" during the shot of them driving past the marquee sign
  • Put Jimmy's "Shhhh!" over the top of Lenny calling Boss Vick Koss an @$$hole
  • Removed secretary implying that she heard Lenny call Boss Vick Koss it when she's talking to Guy
  • Brought argument between theatre usher and Faye up in the audio mix to create seamless removal of secretary line and visual of Guy hearing and moving on to help Faye
  • Restored Theatrical version of first performance with Playtone and the rising up the charts montage
  • Re-arranged ending of the final state fair tour performance to have them immediately pull out their cables and run off stage, then the fans start to hop the fence and storm the stage (added crowd sound effects to smooth out transitions)
  • Restored Theatrical version of Goofball's "We're being invaded line"
  • Removed some portions of Sal Siler
  • Removed Guy being dropped off and his drunken exchange with Mr. White and Lloyd
  • Reinstated the Theatrical transition of the clock and phone ringing
  • Removed scenes of the talking monkeys and Guy getting lost when he first arrives at the tv showcase
  • Cut scenes of the tv exec freaking out about milk in his coffee
  • Removed Lloyd from the credits
  • Logos placed at the end
Original Run Time: Extended Edition - 2hrs 27min / Theatrical - 1hr 48min
Edit run time: 2hrs 15min (with credits)
Time Cut: 13 minutes
Time Added: 1 minute

Here's a breakdown of the extended scenes and what I would include, exclude or hybridize.

Extended Scenes to consider:
Mr. Downtown - Guy and Tina
I personally don't care for this extended scene much as the external filming of the cars looks really different and the acting feels more like a commercial parody. Yes it does give some insight into both of their characters, but it's just off. Also, the movie on the tv is The Vikings (1958), not Spartacus (1960). Yes, it's more likely that The Vikings would be on the tv, but it's just distracting because of the Kirk Douglas connection. Ultimately this scene just serves  to establish that Guy is whipped and Tina only cares about money. We get that from the theatrical version without this scene. Verdict: Theatrical

Extended Diner scene
I'm not much for the acting of the cut content as it feels a bit slow and forced. It does show the beginning of the connection between Faye and Guy, but the garage scene is a better playful connection.
Verdict: Theatrical

Telemart Entrance Extended
I like this scene up until the telemart comment and the reactions. The whole scene just loses life at that point.
Verdict: Hybrid

Chad Fell Down Extended
Again, forced dialogue delivery.

Garage Band
I like the chemistry between the characters and the insight into how the band works together.
Verdict: Extended

Jimmy, Lenny & Bologna Sandwiches
I really don't like the way this scene starts. It feels like a vaccum that sucks the life out of the movie. Guy and Faye have some awesome chemistry in this scene that I want to keep. I'm not much for Faye's "It's about me". For some reason it makes Faye's character less of a strong individual than I original thought. Yes she was Jimmy's girlfriend and that's why she was around, but I always felt she was more than that. This line almost turns her into one of the girls that makes Lenny say, "Well I like Wisconsin".

What about the B-Side?
Jimmy is just so whiny here and the acting feels a bit forced.

Villapiano's Riot & Horace's Intro
This one drags on a bit too long, but I really like the Band and Faye's reaction. I also like the family's dig on Guy and the band in the next scene. Once Phil Horace shows up the editing of the extended scene feels a bit choppy with the cutting back to the family and then to Guy and Phil. The theatrical flow was a lot better here.

Phil exit & Tina and her number 15 molar
I'm not sure about the exit scenes with Phil Horace.
Verdict: Undecided

Lamenting Signing and Christmas in July
The small added bits of dialogue here are fun and don't detract to much from the speed of the movie until Chad shows up.

Giddy Boy & Phil and Guy
The acting when Phil shows up feels a bit off, especially Guy. He's just a bit too giddy? I personally like the theatrical cut for this one. Guy's inclusion of Faye, while it's nice and serves to further his connection with her, feels forced here.

Vicksburg Extended Intro
I love the extension of the band on the stage here. You really get a great insight into each of the band members here. Vic Koss' dressing room scene is a bit of a slow down and doesn't really work well, imho. Guy hitting on Vic's secretary is pointless. I do like Guy and Faye's scenes directly after though. Faye's character really blossoms here, that individual I was talking about earlier, and the connection between she and Guy is just fantastic.

Rising up the Charts
The only real addition here is Tina hearing the song on the radio with the dentist and a visual of her oving on from Guy along with TBP and the girl from the Chantrelines hooking up. I like the speed and presentation of the original more for this one.

Chad applies at Paterson's
I really don't care for this scene.

Must Still Be at the Dentist
Guy's phone call and Tina's empty room are not my favorite, but I do like the scenes of Tina with the Dentist. I'll probably cut the first part of this scene and keep the golf. I'll also keep the scenes of Tina and the Dentist redoing his office wallpaper.

That Thing You Do! County Fair performance
There's a small change to the flow here and I'm not sure it adds anything.

On the plane Extended
This scene turns Mr. White into a stuck up manager and I'm not to keen on it.

Goofball
These extended scenes don't do anything for the story.

Radio interviews
I like these scenes. They delve into the geeky nerdy musical side of Guy and set up the future plot point of the Guy talking with the Gods of Jazz. Also, I like the shout out to Faye which again furthers their connection.

Paying homage to Sal
I think most of the extensions here are fine, I'm not sure if it adds anything to the movie, but it also doesn't detract.

Guy after the Blue Spot
I don't like these scenes at all. The acting, the pacing, everything.

CBS Studios
Guy is really weird in these clips. I'd just assume cut his frantic arrival and follow the theatrical presentation here. I also don't like the scene of Mr. White and Jimmy and the director in the booth freaking out about milk. I'd start it at Faye's arrival.

Jimmy & Faye's Fallout
Kitty's lines kind of break of the flow here, but that's probably because I watched the Theatrical for so many years. I'll probably include it.

Guy & the Immortals, the Gods of Jazz
As a music nerd, I love these scenes.

Faye and Guy
I like the extended version of these scenes as they tie in the previous Gods of Jazz scenes.

Well that's where I stand in my head on what I'd do to this film to create the perfect hybrid. Do you agree, disagree? Have any other thoughts?

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh yeah! I like your change list, adding the best bits and not overdoing it.

I hope you can complete this before the summer is over: it'll make for enjoyable summer evening viewing for the whole family, with a pitcher of cool lemonade and a bowl of popcorn. :)

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember watching this when it came out and enjoying it. I purchased it years ago and its still sitting on the shelf with the other hundreds of films i have to watch/rewatch. Your project idea has given me a kick to re-watch as soon as possible in anticipation of your edit.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks @"jswert123456"! I think the only thing I'd do is get a hires background of the squares as they have pixelated edges and try to match the Remix font with the font of The in to the title.

What does everyone think of the subtitle Remix? Originally I was going to call it Side B, as that is more in line with the time of the movie. Any other thoughts on a subtitle?

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The mix-tape, because it kinda is.
Jukebox edition, similar idea to Side B.
The Sweetspot Edition, referring to the runtime.

In the poster, move Liv Tyler a bit to the right so she's not in front of the shoe. The different sizes of the characters gives a nice sense of depth, but then you shouldn't have a smaller character front of a bigger one.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Thanks @"jswert123456"! I think the only thing I'd do is get a hires background of the squares as they have pixelated edges and try to match the Remix font with the font of The in to the title.

What does everyone think of the subtitle Remix? Originally I was going to call it Side B, as that is more in line with the time of the movie. Any other thoughts on a subtitle?

i can fix everything, but was not able to find the font

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I'm getting really nitpicky, the laney amp and pearl drums probably aren't period correct ;)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How about Something Snappy Edition in reference to Mr. White's request of Jimmy at the end of the movie?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
some rambling about how much I love That Thing You Do! and haven't got around to making a hybrid approach...
Hi there, DigM!  Have you come any further on this?

It's in the works ;)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I feel like the Flipside Edition should have a reversed image so that everyone is on the opposite sides.  :)

Looking forward to this being That Thing You Did.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
^I feel like the Flipside Edition should have a reversed image so that everyone is on the opposite sides.  :)

Looking forward to this being That Thing You Did.

well they are flipped around compared to the placement on the original poster, but i get what you are saying.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After trying to use the individual segmented video files from the disc, I decided to just go ahead and re-rip the entire theatrical and extended cuts in their entirety. I spent most of my time trying to navigate the scenes and realized I was missing some, so hopefully this will actually allow me to edit this pretty quickly now, life permitting......HA!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Doing some sound design for an exterior transition scene that required some borrowing of some traffic noise from an earlier scene. To make the audio work I needed to increase the sound of the traffic. When I did I'm pretty sure I am now hearing a whispered F-bomb. The audio is taken when T.B. Player is walking up to Faye, Lenny & Jimmy after Chad has broken his arm. I'm pretty sure Chad is the one whispering here. And I thought I had found all the little quarks in this movie  :rolleyes:

Top Bottom